Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 27.19%
  • No

74 64.91%
  • Don't Care

9 7.89%
    I mentioned it also ( see my post #12) .. Do you think Apple would ever really consider this though ( i mean adding a factory coating to new ones , and let peeps trade in their uncoated one ??)

I think it could possibly be a fairly easy way to fix the problem ...

Fresh1
    It'd be a fair way but I'm not holding my breath.
    07-13-2010 02:44 PM
    It'd be a fair way but I'm not holding my breath.
    Same here......

Fresh1
    07-13-2010 02:47 PM
    I agree on the probability of free bumpers. It would allow Apple to placate everyone, still hedge on any actual design problem, and stop the neverending run of 'Apple doesn't care'.

Recall just won't happen. Too many implications, too much hassle, and sets a precedent.
    07-13-2010 03:10 PM
    If you look at their stock price drop today, they're going to have to do something. Inaction will only cause bigger problems. They're the only major tech stock to take a hit today.
    07-13-2010 03:44 PM
    A recall is not necessary. If you aren't satisfied with the design, take it back. Then get a new one when/if they fix it of come out with a new model.
    Apple has extended the return period to 30 days and waived the restocking fee specifically for this reason.

Seriously. A recall is only necessary if you're stuck with the product. And you are not.

I'd like to see them offer free cases or bumpers and take the phone off the market until there's a fix. At least admit the problem if there I one. But for now I'm satisfied with the existing voluntary recall (return it for a refund.)
    Last edited by taylorh; 07-13-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    07-13-2010 03:53 PM
    That's not a half bad idea. Then early adopters could trade in their problem phones for the fixed phones. Apple would then repair the problem with the old phones recovered and sell them as refurbs.
    Or return it for a full refund and buy a new phone when they fix the design flaw.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07-13-2010 at 04:11 PM.
    07-13-2010 03:56 PM
    If you look at their stock price drop today, they're going to have to do something. Inaction will only cause bigger problems. They're the only major tech stock to take a hit today.
    Let it drop..i might buy some :P
    07-13-2010 04:11 PM
    Mine has minor scratches on it from normal wear, would I be able to return the phone without subject to any fees?
    07-13-2010 04:18 PM
    Mine has minor scratches on it from normal wear, would I be able to return the phone without subject to any fees?
    You were able to scratch their scratch proof glass? (being sarcastic.)
    They say "undamaged." I'd consider that undamaged. Also if they give you a hard time raise a stink that the only reason you're returning it is because of the defective design. Don't take no for an answer unless the phone is broken, smashed, or water damaged.

I will add that I will not be returning mine. I feel I have a good enough grasp on the issue, I don't have a problem, and I use a case anyway. I'm satisfied with the workaround personally.
    But if anyone has concerned or issues they should return it while you still can. Don't settle for being unhappy with your $200-$300 2 year contract purchase. You don't have to.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07-13-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    07-13-2010 04:23 PM
    Dude, it dropped all of 5 points. It's still sitting pretty at 252 and change. A flux from 257 to 252 isn't going to get ANYONE at Apple worked up enough to do anything. They are still wiping their nose with the imperfect bills that come pouring in.
    07-13-2010 04:23 PM
    You were able to scratch their scratch proof glass? (being sarcastic.)
    They say "undamaged." I'd consider that undamaged. Also if they give you a hard time raise a stink that the only reason you're returning it is because of the defective design. Don't take no for an answer unless the phone is broken, smashed, or water damaged.

I will add that I will not be returning mine. I feel I have a good enough grasp on the issue, I don't have a problem, and I use a case anyway. I'm satisfied with the workaround personally.
    But if anyone has concerned or issues they should return it while you still can. Don't settle for being unhappy with your $200-$300 2 year contract purchase. You don't have to.

To be honest, I dont experience much of the known issue. I too could use a case and would probably be more than fine. However, I did initially want a White iPhone. Maybe I can return this one and hope by the time the White one is released all issues will be addressed. I would just hope I dont have to wait very long otherwise I'll keep this old thing.
    07-13-2010 04:34 PM
    apple won't recall... Too arrogant to admit there is a problem... As evident by job's "just hold it different" statement.

I picked up a bumper the other day and i don't experience the signal/antenna issue anyway.
    ditto!!!!!
    07-13-2010 04:52 PM
    based on apples response there will be no recall
    07-13-2010 06:18 PM
    Jobs just posted this on Twitter
    Apple has been making the white right so we can take the black back. #iPhoneRecall
    07-13-2010 06:27 PM
    I do not think there should be a recall. I for one will be keeping mine and am happy I got it.

Most people were going to get a case any way so what's all the hubbub about? I get screaming 3G signal in places I've never had it before. All I have to do is not touch the bottom left corner...I can do that, no problem. How many of you ever held your phone high in the air just to try and get a better signal. Y'all that are complaining are just part of the mob mentality. Your mad because the media Said you should be. Well if you di not like the phone please return it for a full refund. End of problem.
    07-13-2010 07:15 PM
    The government will and should make them recall this piece of junk! Their stock is dropping for god sake.
    07-13-2010 08:31 PM
    It won't be recalled. It does work and it does not pose a safety hazard which are the 2 reasons items are recalled.
    07-13-2010 08:59 PM
    It won't be recalled. I'm in a high-signal area and have no issues using my phone when the bars are lowered.

I also don't grip my phone like the Hulk if that's relevant in any way.
    07-13-2010 09:26 PM
    I couldn't agree more.
    Eh..Apple's next move should be to make lemonade.

CR showed them how. Include a bumper with an iphone 4 and all is forgiven for most part. Package it right and consumers will eat it up thinking they're getting more value.

Make some accessories that work with Bumpers and you got another revenue stream.
    07-13-2010 09:32 PM
    I hope it gets recalled but I don't think it will.. For me its really bad in some areas.. I have a bumper and still notice no signal in some areas, that coupled with a dropped call(not even holding the phone) or two each day drives me a tad crazy.

I gave my gf my old Blackberry and I now have to ask her to look things up if we are in a building with bad reception. Which isn't a fun or happy feeling.

That all being said I still spend about $60 dollars on apps so I guess im going to just deal with it.. Who knows maybe Otterbox or someone else will make a case that insulates the antenna. lol
    07-14-2010 10:49 AM
    Have you ever had an iPhone before Scuba629?
    07-14-2010 10:51 AM
    I'll choose "Don't Care" as it doesn't effect me
    either way.

I don't have any issues with my i4, but of
    course if they do have a re-call, I'll definitely
    switch mine out. I always love a fresh new
    device
    haha me too!!!!

I agree on the probability of free bumpers. It would allow Apple to placate everyone, still hedge on any actual design problem, and stop the neverending run of 'Apple doesn't care'.

Recall just won't happen. Too many implications, too much hassle, and sets a precedent.
    I don't think they will recall it, I think they will do something less drastic if anything. "Free bumpers"? maybe, but do those bumpers really help the problem?
    07-14-2010 11:19 AM
    As I pointed out in this thread:

Product recalls have never been done for anything that didn't somehow lead to serious injury or death (think Tylenol, Toyota, cribs). These recalls have all (and without exception) taken place long into the product's life, not within days of product release.

Anyone waiting for a recall of a cell phone will need patience, cause it isn't going to happen. If you are experiencing the antenna problem - take your phone back for a refund!

The consumer is responsible for his purchases. You can't purchase a load of manure and then complain because it smells like $hit - know what I mean?
    07-14-2010 01:07 PM
    Have you ever had an iPhone before Scuba629?
    No this is my first.
    07-14-2010 03:04 PM
    I've had iPhones since the first one. I've not owned a 3GS. I now own the iPhone 4. I do experience the signal drop phenomenon on the meter in weak signal areas and have had to ask folks to wait, while I repositioned my hand on the phone. My experience with my phone is that the Bumper Case makes little difference. My meter will drop with the bumper on or off.

Will Apple recall the phone? No.

My $0.02 (USD)

Bill
    07-14-2010 04:40 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD