Screen dims due to heat

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I had my iPhone 4 outside today in the heat and noticed that the screen seemed to become very dim the longer it was out. Once I brought it inside and cooled it off a bit, the brightness popped back up. Anyone experience this?

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
not on my IPhone. normally if it is in the brighter light of the outside it gets brighter if you have the auto brightness function selected. and the phone does dim when not in use for a bit, to save battery life. but I have never had it dim because of heat alone. I would suggest not subjecting the phone to such a hot environment first. Second, if it wasn't that hot then probably take it in to have it looked at.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It wasn't the autobrightness, I leave that off. I did notice that my iPad did the same thing when I had it outside, right before it gave me the "iPad is too hot" warning. The screen seemed considerably dimmer than normal.

pjonesmoody

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
iPad display dimmed when overeheated

I just had this issue with my iPad after using it in direct sunlight. As I was working, I thought the screen became harder to view in direct sunlight, but I rationalized it by thinking that maybe the noon sun was especially bright or my eyes were being strained, or something of the sort. Then, the iPad gave me the famed "too hot" notification with the yellow triangle, and shut down on me. So, I went inside, and gave it a minute or two to cool down. It quickly came back on, but the display seemed a lot dimmer than usual. I even put it alongside my iPhone 4 to test it, and sure enough it was very dim, even after toggling the auto-dim feature, and sliding the brightness to maximum. I did a hard restart, and that didn't fix it.

Lo and behold, after 3 or 4 minutes of messing with it, the iPad screen just popped back up to full brightness, and I hadn't done a thing.

I guess it's a way to safeguard against harmful internal temperatures that could damage the battery or circuitry?

I'm just glad that it wasn't permanent!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner