Large speck of dust on camera lens?

penorwood

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Was taking a few photos and noticed that they all had a rather large speck of dust/artifact near the center. (Photo attached, you should have no problem seeing the issue).

Do you think it is too soon to get to an Apple Store to get it taken care of? I live about 40 minutes away from the nearest Apple Store and really don't want to waste a trip.

Barring that any ideas on maybe how to remove the dust/artifact?

Thanks

penorwood

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't even know how to begin to open the back cover. The last time I tried (on my old 3GS) I really screwed it up. Fortunately that was a non-working (waterlogged) phone.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for all Apple stores, but I know the one in Baton Rouge, La had some in stock for this purpose only. In fact there was a lady in there while I was having my MacBook Pro logic board replaced getting her iPhone 4 replaced. I asked what was wrong, she said the home button never really worked properly. She said she had to push it multiple times for it to actually do anything. Anyway.. they swapped it out no questions asked.

Tanz

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
That speck is definatly big enough to be worried about. I would take it back regardless. Not sure about removing the back but I would probably end up with even more dust :(

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
The back cover is easily removed. Carefully remove the two bottom screws and push the back casing up towards the top. Should move about 2mm and come off.

penorwood

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Did as you suggested ghostface147, took the back plate off and cleaned the camera but the artifact us still there. So looks like I will in deed be taking it in for an exchange. Before anyone asks I checked it out before putting the cover back on ? no dice

dgamer1

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
My 2nd replacement ip4 had this issue, I showed it to the apple store employee and politely asked for a different phone.

He came back a few minutes later with a new phone that has been working perfectly.

In case you want to know why I had a replacement phone in the first place.. I got that "no sim" message and took it in to the apple store and they offered to order me a new one.

penorwood

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
I followed a hunch and tapped the phone on a table a few times and the speck moved. Eventually I was able to move it completely off the image.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711