Quick dumb question, does the data used to send and/or recieve SMS or MMS messages count against your both your SMS/MMS message allotment and your upper limit on data transfer? I assume it does. I am just wondering if there is any advantage to send a picture via MMS vs, lets say, an email. Thanks.
    07-09-2010 12:29 PM
    Yes they both count the same against your text plan. It doesn't do anything to your data plan.
    07-09-2010 01:08 PM
    Yes they both count the same against your text plan. It doesn't do anything to your data plan.
    So, if I have unlimited texts, I can send unlimited pictures via MMS with no impact on my data plan usage? Really?
    07-09-2010 01:12 PM
    So, if I have unlimited texts, I can send unlimited pictures via MMS with no impact on my data plan usage? Really?
    Yeah really, thats why one is a text package, the other is a data package.....
    07-09-2010 01:14 PM
    Yeah really, thats why one is a text package, the other is a data package.....
    You have to admit, its all data, so it can be confusing. It's not obvious to me that MMS pictures are considered purely "texts" and have no data impact (I guess it was to you). Thanks.

This could be very usefull for people with unlimited texts and limited data plans, who like to send pics. I'll have to check what exact quality the pictures are sent when using MMS. (full 5 Mp quality?)
    07-09-2010 01:21 PM
    You have to admit, its all data, so it can be confusing. It's not obvious to me that MMS pictures are considered purely "texts" and have no data impact (I guess it was to you). Thanks.
    Not to be a d!ck, but yeah it is obvious, you pay seperate for texts and data. Plus everyone and their mom would've known and been on the net the MMS counts as data. So its kind of obvious, but no worries if you're confused....

and no their not 5mp pics, theyre downsized for messaging purposes....when sent via mms
    07-09-2010 02:04 PM
    Are you all sure? My wife has a BlackBerry with no data plan... and she can't send ANY MMS, even though we have an unlimited SMS plan... AT&T says that you need a data plan to use MMS... and then they wanted to add a data plan to her line, despite the fact that it was grandfathered in without a data plan...
    07-09-2010 02:06 PM

This could be very usefull for people with unlimited texts and limited data plans, who like to send pics. I'll have to check what exact quality the pictures are sent when using MMS. (full 5 Mp quality?)
    They are definitely not full 5 mp quality, they are higher quality went sent between iPhones ( still not full 5mp ), but are lower quality went sent to other ( non-smart ) phones, especially if on different carriers.
    07-09-2010 02:11 PM
    Are you all sure? My wife has a BlackBerry with no data plan... and she can't send ANY MMS, even though we have an unlimited SMS plan... AT&T says that you need a data plan to use MMS... and then they wanted to add a data plan to her line, despite the fact that it was grandfathered in without a data plan...
    Yup, I'm sure, like 100% sure.
    07-09-2010 02:12 PM
    ^^agreed. With the iPhone, data is mandatory, so it's irrelevant that the blackberry didn't allow MMS without a data plan.
    07-09-2010 03:10 PM
    Not to be a d!ck, but yeah it is obvious, you pay seperate for texts and data. Plus everyone and their mom would've known and been on the net the MMS counts as data. So its kind of obvious, but no worries if you're confused....

and no their not 5mp pics, theyre downsized for messaging purposes....when sent via mms
    You're making my point for me. Yes, I understand text vs data. But pictures = text? Most people by default would say images are data. That is why I asked. Sorry if that is obvious to you and wasted your time. Sometimes you get obvious questions on this list. Not sure what you meant by "Plus everyone and their mom would've known and been on the net the MMS counts as data."
    07-09-2010 04:44 PM
    You're making my point for me. Yes, I understand text vs data. But pictures = text? Most people by default would say images are data. That is why I asked. Sorry if that is obvious to you and wasted your time. Sometimes you get obvious questions on this list. Not sure what you meant by "Plus everyone and their mom would've known and been on the net the MMS counts as data."
    images are part of the text message, its not data under the umbrella of "data" you pay mandatory. Yes its data, but not that kind at&t defines(or whatever your carrier) as data.

What I meant by "Plus everyone and their mom would've known and been on the net the MMS counts as data." is that had MMS message been counted as data usadge and not text, then people would be outraged with the new capped plans, and how MMS would hit their capped plans....

Also, dude you're way over complicating SMS/MMS messages, final word, its not data, your wife BBERRY cant be used in this convo....

Enjoy MMS'ing
    07-09-2010 04:56 PM
    What I meant by "Plus everyone and their mom would've known and been on the net the MMS counts as data." is that had MMS message been counted as data usadge and not text, then people would be outraged with the new capped plans, and how MMS would hit their capped plans....
    People were outraged. I am not suggeting that MMS may have turned into data usage when the capped plans were introduced. I was wondering if they had always been part of the data plan. I guess they weren't. Thanks.
    07-09-2010 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD