Okay, is there some sort of app caching or something?
    This is probably at least the 5th time that I've noticed an app updating, and during the installation process I can clearly see the hi-res icon for the iPhone 4. After it finishes installing, it defaults back to the low res icon.

I've tried deleting the apps, reinstalling them.
    Soft restart. Hard restart.
    Deleting app, restarting phone, reinstalling app.
    Nothing.

At first, I thought I was imagining it. But I took screen shots to prove it.
    Check out the examples to see what I mean. I cropped and increased the resolution of the example qutie a bit so it could be seen easier. Also, the full-screen examples are 50% their size.

Even though the animated gif made the images a little funky, you can still tell that during installation, it was in fact a hi-res icon. After, it defaulted back to the old one.
    Anyone else noticing this?

I should note that 50% of my apps update to the hi-res icons (if it's included in the update) just fine. But the other half have been doing this.
    07-08-2010 12:17 AM
    I've noticed something similar to this. The Apple store app the icon is high res but when you open the app the tabs at the bottom are pixelated? Is this on everyones?
    07-08-2010 02:19 AM
    Sounds like the developer doesn't have the High Res icon for the device, only the store which is misleading and pretty ugly.
    07-08-2010 12:42 PM
    I havent noticed this at all... however I really haven't been looking for it
    07-08-2010 01:53 PM
    I think it's as simple as some developers not actually updating the icon in the app.
    07-08-2010 02:49 PM
    I think it's as simple as some developers not actually updating the icon in the app.
    You can tell when the app is updating, it is definitely a hi-res icon.

The "Before" shot is it updating the app.
    The "After" is once it's finished. During the installation, hi-res. After, back to low-res.

Next time you see an update that says "iPhone 4 optimized" or something that refers to the retina display, watch it install.
    07-08-2010 02:53 PM
    Try a restart of your device?
    07-08-2010 03:14 PM
    To bad you can't SSH into it and manually override those puppies. Best bet, reinstall the app from iTunes, not from the phone.
    07-08-2010 04:50 PM
    I think a lot of developers are being lazy about updating their icons.
    07-08-2010 05:44 PM
    Try a restart of your device?
    From original post:

"I've tried deleting the apps, reinstalling them.
    Soft restart. Hard restart.
    Deleting app, restarting phone, reinstalling app.
    Nothing.
    "

I wish that'd fix it though.
    07-08-2010 05:49 PM
    Best bet, reinstall the app from iTunes, not from the phone.
    I'll have to try that!

Hopefully someone else can confirm this that has an iPhone 4...
    07-08-2010 05:51 PM
    yeah i can confirm this. I have noticed this for apps that do not specifically say retina display in the update, but do show high res whilst updating, but switch back to low res afterwords! its been driving me mad!
    07-09-2010 08:39 PM
    Not to pick on devs, a great many work hard but seriously take the time and effort to tighten things up. Especially if they are going to get lots of alternative revenue form iAds. I for one cannot stand sloppy work or those who are lazy. Not saying any or all devs are, just saying if your going to charge or earn something put the effort in.
    07-09-2010 09:34 PM
    yeah i can confirm this. I have noticed this for apps that do not specifically say retina display in the update, but do show high res whilst updating, but switch back to low res afterwords! its been driving me mad!
    I'm somewhat glad to see someone else can confirm this...
    Not sure if during installation, it's taking the hi-res icon from the app store...then reverting to the actual app icon.

I've some say "updated for the retina display" and still do this same thing.
    07-10-2010 04:38 PM
    I'm somewhat glad to see someone else can confirm this...
    Not sure if during installation, it's taking the hi-res icon from the app store...then reverting to the actual app icon.

I've some say "updated for the retina display" and still do this same thing.
    but the app store icons are all low res... at least on mine they are
    07-10-2010 05:55 PM
    but the app store icons are all low res... at least on mine they are
    Yes same here, but if you access the app store through iTunes, you'll notice the larger icons (I beleive they're 500x500) and am wondering if those are being loaded during installation.

If a developer is going to take the time to update their app, why not at least include a hi-res icon?
    07-10-2010 07:15 PM
    Hi! I'm Greg I have followed this community closely for awhile, read a lot of posts, and this seems like a good place to get feedback from I just wanted to hear everyone?s opinion of my new website I apologize before hand if I am not suppose to place a link Moderator, if you want to remove the link portion that is fine I really just wanted the communities feedback

Please take a look at my site about

homesforsaleintallahasseefl net]Monavie

Let me know your likes and dislikes!
    07-10-2010 07:32 PM
    Let me know your likes and dislikes!
    I dislike this post.
    07-10-2010 07:51 PM
    Yes same here, but if you access the app store through iTunes, you'll notice the larger icons (I beleive they're 500x500) and am wondering if those are being loaded during installation.

If a developer is going to take the time to update their app, why not at least include a hi-res icon?
    I know right? updating at least the icon seems like the least they could do, im sure it would be pretty quick to do. I love the retina display, but i do not see it in use enough yet!
    07-10-2010 08:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD