iOS 4 on 3G slow? Turn off Spotlight

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Title says it all - iPhone 3G apparently has trouble keeping up with indexing, ever since 3.x. Two days ago, I turned off Spotlight search (Settings-General-Home Button-Spotlight search-switch off all you don't use) because I rarely, if ever, used it.

Up to this day, my poor old 3G with iOS is way snappier than it was before, and I wouldn't hesitate to say it's as snappy as with 3.1.3. Stutter while open/close transitions is gone and apps load way faster. I've compared it to some youtube videos (YouTube - iOS 4 Performance on iPhone 3G (Camera and Settings)) and mine on iOS 4 performs almost as fast as theirs on 3.1.3.

This is not even a "Restore as new phone" install - it's restored from backup that has 7,5 GB out of 8 GB filled.

Please try this if you find your 3G struggling with iOS 4 and report back.

teryan2006

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
No difference

I tried this find no difference. I timed launch time for both Plants vs Zombie launch time and running the sunspider benchmark, and theres zero difference. Are you sure you're not just seeing placebo effect?

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not, of course. But then again, it's highly unlikely to see a difference in synthetic benchmark like Sunspider.

I can, however, see a big difference in day to day operations like opening Messaging app, Settings, Camera, Mail.app, keyboard delay (including rotation) is significantly lower etc.

The biggest difference can be seen in apps that generate content indexed by Spotlight - Notes, Mail, Calendar... all of them used to close with noticeable stutter. That is gone now.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
This reminds me of PCs loaded with Vista but the user didn't turn off indexing and the computer just crawled LOL anyway just did it and rebooted will see if there is a diff for me

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
You're right, but I didn't disable indexing on Vista because I find it really useful on desktop OSes. On phone, not so much.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think it is useful but for people who loaded it on slow computers that could barely handle it I think it was better to have it disabled. I tried disabling spotlight and the phone is a little more snappy but still slow so it's barely noticable.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i tried this and have yet to notice anything for the better

i was sure hoping it would help, but after all the 3G is now the new dinosaur

to be honest i will be embarrassed to even sell mine when the time comes

ddot196

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I turned all the spotlight search off on my 3g...still runs extremely slow. I absolutely hate the spotlight search. I guess I don't have enough junk on there that I can't remember all of my apps, etc. I agree they should allow you to turn it off. Waste imho.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
You're right, but I didn't disable indexing on Vista because I find it really useful on desktop OSes. On phone, not so much.

Same, I'd never turn off indexing on my computer. On an iPhone you can pretty much tell where everything is, and there is search in like every app that you can search inside of.. Spotlight should be optional.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner