I notice that I have to open some apps (Facebook, App store) for the little red circle notification to be displayed. I don't know when there has actually been a new notification for the app. Is this a normal thing? Is there a setting that makes the little notification icons display when I actually get a new notification?
    07-05-2010 02:23 PM
    Notification settings are generally set per app in the Settings (scroll to the bottom) area. Some apps simply don't do notifications well either.

I don't know about Facebook but as far as the AppStore, you will not get any notifications of app updates until you open the app and it connects to the AppStore and checks.
    07-05-2010 02:51 PM
    Facebook is hit or miss, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't
    07-05-2010 04:20 PM
    Facebook notifications probably work 10% of the time.
    Last edited by MrCippy; 07-06-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    07-05-2010 11:13 PM
    Agreed. Facebook is not very good at notifications
    07-06-2010 12:55 AM
    Facebook works for me. For a while it was awful but now it's pretty close to perfect.

@lungho
    Actually the app store routinely checks for updates whether you open it or not (not sure how often, maybe once or twice a day), but it's not push.
    07-06-2010 03:40 AM
    @lungho
    Actually the app store routinely checks for updates whether you open it or not (not sure how often, maybe once or twice a day), but it's not push.
    Hmm....interesting. I've never seen a badge unless I've opened up the AppStore app. The same thing happened this morning. Last night there were no app updates. But this morning, although I didn't have any update notification badge, I decided to manually check for updates and I had three apps that need to be updated.

Perhaps Apple pushes the notification badge after a certain amount of time/days have passed and without you manually checking the AppStore yourself?
    07-06-2010 08:12 AM
    Hmm....interesting. I've never seen a badge unless I've opened up the AppStore app. The same thing happened this morning. Last night there were no app updates. But this morning, although I didn't have any update notification badge, I decided to manually check for updates and I had three apps that need to be updated.

Perhaps Apple pushes the notification badge after a certain amount of time/days have passed and without you manually checking the AppStore yourself?
    Sometimes I do notice new update notifications with me having to open the app store but other times I've only seen the update notification badge with nothing done on my part. Hit or miss for me. Same with facebook. I can't say for certain what percentage flows thru ok but it doesn't bother me that much
    07-06-2010 08:42 AM
    I have never seen an update badge on the App Store unless I open it and Facebook is not that reliable when it comes to notifications.
    07-06-2010 10:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD