I know that when I go into an app that asks to locate me, it turns on the location services and the compass "arrow" thing is at the top of the screen while it's finding you and your GPS is being used. But every time I've exited the app, the "arrow" has always gone away. For some reason, now the arrow is still there even on my home screen ... is my gps still locating me even outside the app? I don't want to turn off the location services setting and have to turn it on each time I open an app, that's a hassle. It should just stop, shouldn't it? Here's a pic of my home screen so you can see what I'm talking about ...

07-04-2010 03:30 AM
    Just an idea but is it possible that you're not fully exiting the app and in reality it is still running in the background via multitasking?
    07-04-2010 03:48 AM
    Just an idea but is it possible that you're not fully exiting the app and in reality it is still running in the background via multitasking?
    I was actually thinking the same thing, and right after I posted this I went to the multitasking bar and closed out all the apps that used location services. The arrow is still on my home screen though =/ ... So idk. I wonder if with that being on, if it will drain my battery quicker?
    07-04-2010 03:55 AM
    Do you have Loopt installed? Even when you completely close out of Loopt, it still shares your location. If you don't, I suggest deleting the location apps one at a time to see which removal finally kills the location seeking.
    07-04-2010 08:08 AM
    I have this happen sometimes on my iPhone 4. It is usually the camera app. I launch it, location kicks in, then when I exit arrow is still there. If I launch the camera and exit, it goes away. It has happened on other apps, but I can't remember which.
    07-04-2010 09:24 AM
    No, I don't have loopt. Yea, I've tried to open and close each "location app" I have and still no luck. I've even opened the multitasking tab and closed every single app all the way whether it's location or not. I forgot to mention - idk if this helps - but it happened when my phone for some reason froze on an app and the phone by itself restarted ... When it rebooted that's when the arrow has been stuck there. Does that change anything? Lol
    07-04-2010 09:57 AM
    Sounds like rebooting the phone is in order then if that dkeasnt work you may have to do a restore.
    07-04-2010 10:05 AM
    UPDATE: ... I went to my settings, and the location services tab where you can see all of the apps that have asked to locate you, and I turned each one on and off one at a time. When I got to the Twittelator Pro app, the arrow went away when I switche the permission off - then came back when I switched permission on. I just left it off, so now the arrow is gone. Question now is, I wonder why it stayed on if the app itself is closed completely, hmmm
    07-04-2010 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD