I am new to iPhone - long time Palm user and most recently from a Windows Mobile Treo. I have two email accounts - both POP3.

It appears that I have to delete each email individually. No biggie when local and have a few. But if I am on a one week trip, using my phone to retrieve all my mail, I may have a couple of hundred emails in each account at the end of the trip. Once home, I retrieve my mail on my desktop, which deletes the mail from the servers. On my treo, a simple send/receive would delete the mail from the phone (because it synced rather than just retrieved). Is there a way to delete the several hundred emails from the iPhone other than one by one?
    07-03-2010 07:16 AM
    Are you trying to delete from the INBOX or TRASH? From the inbox, you can select EDIT and click the emails you want and then click delete. This moves it to the trash. From trash, you can click edit and at the bottom, there is a delete all option. Or, you can manually select the ones you want to delete.

Hope this helped. If not, sorry.
    07-03-2010 07:19 AM
    Are you trying to delete from the INBOX or TRASH? From the inbox, you can select EDIT and click the emails you want and then click delete. This moves it to the trash. From trash, you can click edit and at the bottom, there is a delete all option. Or, you can manually select the ones you want to delete.

Hope this helped. If not, sorry.
    I want to delete from the Inbox. One by one when there are say 300 emails is beyond tedious. I need a "select all" or something similar.
    07-03-2010 08:21 AM
    I want to delete from the Inbox. One by one when there are say 300 emails is beyond tedious. I need a "select all" or something similar.
    I agree, this is a problem. Recently, on one of my accounts the "spammers" have found me and I have to delete 100+ emails a day. The only way I can do it in a reasonable time is via my computer.
    07-03-2010 08:36 AM
    How do you delete from the iPhone "via my computer?" or am I not understanding what you are saying?
    07-03-2010 09:58 AM
    I have been scratching my head for a while now trying to figure out why "select all" is available for trash but not for any other folder. Doesn't make sense; and seems like it would be easy to implement.
    07-03-2010 10:40 AM
    I have been scratching my head for a while now trying to figure out why "select all" is available for trash but not for any other folder. Doesn't make sense; and seems like it would be easy to implement.
    Because people often want to clear out their entire trash can. People don't often want to delete their entire inbox.
    07-03-2010 11:18 AM
    @JelloTime91 Well can't you do both with the way it's set up now in trash? You can. You either select individually or press "delete all". Why not have the same functionality for every folder? I doesn't make sense, and I bet it's an oversight on Apple's part.
    07-03-2010 12:07 PM
    I do not believe it is an oversight. I think it is to prevent accidental mass deletion of emails you want to keep. I for one have three email accounts and have never let the inbox of any of them get to more than 10 emails at a time. but if I delete emails on my computer they are deleted on my phone so if I had a huge cleanup to do I just go to the computer and do it there, no problem
    07-03-2010 12:22 PM
    I do not believe it is an oversight. I think it is to prevent accidental mass deletion of emails you want to keep. I for one have three email accounts and have never let the inbox of any of them get to more than 10 emails at a time. but if I delete emails on my computer they are deleted on my phone so if I had a huge cleanup to do I just go to the computer and do it there, no problem
    How do you do that? Or are your email accounts IMAP?
    07-03-2010 12:41 PM
    How do you delete from the iPhone "via my computer?" or am I not understanding what you are saying?
    I'm sure you're misunderstanding me As you said, Emails, when received appear on both the iPhone and the computer. The computer has ability to delete "in bulk".
    07-03-2010 12:54 PM
    my emails are ...pop exchange and imap. the pop account takes longer for it to finally show up on the phone when I delete but it eventually does. the other two are almost immediate
    07-03-2010 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD