I'm in the process of buying a used 3GS, however I do not want to purchase service from AT&T. Mainly I will use the phone for its WI-Fi functions.
    How do I identify if the phone has GPS capabalities?
    Does the GPS capability have to be turned on by AT&T?
    What does "unlocking" a used phone do?
    07-02-2010 02:49 PM
    I'm in the process of buying a used 3GS, however I do not want to purchase service from AT&T. Mainly I will use the phone for its WI-Fi functions.
    How do I identify if the phone has GPS capabalities?
    Does the GPS capability have to be turned on by AT&T?
    What does "unlocking" a used phone do?
    all 3GS' have GPS capabilities but only if connected to network or wifi, unlocking it will allow you to use it on the t-mobile network since it's GSM as well but you won't be 3G
    07-02-2010 02:52 PM
    If I understand you're saying is there must be some kind of service (WI-Fi or cell coverage) for the GPS function to work?
    07-02-2010 03:03 PM
    The WiFi or cell plan is NOT to make the GPS work... it will work as a basic function of the phone... the connection is necessary to get the map data upon which the GPS location marker is displayed...
    07-02-2010 06:33 PM
    The WiFi or cell plan is NOT to make the GPS work... it will work as a basic function of the phone... the connection is necessary to get the map data upon which the GPS location marker is displayed...
    That's what I meant but I didn't quite say it that way lol
    07-02-2010 07:10 PM
    even if you have the "no signal" mark... the GPS seems to grab AGPS data from the cell site...
    07-02-2010 11:45 PM
    Hi, what about if you have a GPS application loaded such as CoPilot Live or NDrive that contain the maps already? I have an iPhone 3G currently (hand me down - but currently using as an iPod Touch without any phone/data plan). I have those applications and the GPS doesn't work even with those applications. It shouldn't need to have the data on for the basic GPS to work in theory. Would jailbreaking or unlocking the phone give you the ability to use the basic GPS with GPS apps that come with the preloaded maps? Has anyone tried this or can confirm that it would work?
    07-14-2010 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD