Official statement from Apple

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
The company said it will fix the formula to one recommended by AT&T Inc. through a free software update within a few weeks for the most recent iPhone models, 3G, 3GS and 4. However, the "wrong" formula goes back as far as the original iPhone, launched in 2007.

wow, so this might explain those conversations with disgruntled iphone users;

"i don't know why i lost you... i had full bars!!"

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
wow, so this might explain those conversations with disgruntled iphone users;

"i don't know why i lost you... i had full bars!!"

wowwwwww this explains everything... i had all my bars and still drop calls like crazy! :eek:

shipment-of-fail.jpg

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's a freaking joke. The fix is to tweak the software to display a different signal strength indication? And they're making bars #1 and #2 (the left most and shortest, indicating the lowest signal strength) taller to do what? Confuse us or try to psych us into thinking the signal strength is better than it really is?

Yesterday I thought the suits against AT&T and Apple were frivolous... today I am starting to think that Apple needs to be sued...

All I can say is "Wow!".

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
I KNEW IT! I had a 3GS for a couple of months before I got the IP4 and This was a theory of mine for a while. While at my desk it would display 3G service with 3 bars yet Downloading things would take about 5 times longer then they did when I would be downstairs with full bars. I was thinking that there was no way that a couple bars would cause my DLs to decrease THAT much. So like I suspected they have been simply lying about the signal strength. This really is disappointing. They cant just say "our bad" about this. They have known what they were doing im sure. They just made a mistake somewhere on the iP4 that exposed them so they are coming clean and making it look like they just now noticed it. BS. One of the many reasons I came to ATT was I thought the signal at my desk was better then TMO which would go into sos constantly. I just dont appreciate being deceived this way.

dmiller428

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, I almost always used a set of earphones with a mic with my 3g, so I never had to hold it in my hand to talk (I live in Brooklyn where phone snatching is a very common occurrence) and as soon as my IP4 came out of the box, I slapped a silicone case on it and a pair of earphones with a mic. That being said, I've always had pretty good to excellent service all over NYC, so I am not rushing to return my iP4, which is a HUGE improvement over my 3g. Perhaps the jump from the 3gs to the IP4 is not as signigficant, so these issues seem so much severe?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
This statement is such bull****.
They are blatantly ignoring the fact that many users can PAUSE the loading of data simply by placing their fingers over the black bar between the antennae...

This is pissing me off. The more Apple talks about this issue, the more ignorant and rude they appear.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I think that the update will address the baseband switching issue personally and that it will also show signal more accurately. I haven't had a dropped call yet other then when driving through a small spot around where I live that has no signal.

tkao2025

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I have not had issue with dropped calls or signal strength. Having said this, I think it's a bug in iOS4 as when I first updated my 3Gs with iOS4, I had fluctuations in 3G strength, which I never had before. Perhaps it's the way iOS4 measures signal strength?

Why do some people insist that it has to be a hardware/design issue? I have not had this problem and a lot of other people don't either. If it is a hardware issue, it must be down to certain batches in production.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
While the reported signal will change with the next update everyone has to understand that the underlying issue is still due to the design and location of the antennas. Having them where they are allows users to easily bridge two together causing problems. No software update is going to have much of an effect on that.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I've covered the "gap" using clear package tape; about 1". I think I see somewhat less attenuation. I'm one of the "lucky" people who lives in a fringe signal area so my phone is very affected. I'm curious if others have found workarounds. Bumpers and cases are unacceptable as I use an in car holder that will not accommodate a case.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Why do some people insist that it has to be a hardware/design issue?

Because the cold, hard facts deem it so. It's simple physics. You cannot alter physics with a software patch. There are other factors at play like general coverage and natural human conductivity. You happen to live in a good coverage area and you and the others you say don't have the problem aren't very electrifying at all.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
it's funny how a month ago i was pissed about my upgrade being a while away, and now...
i think i might be waiting for the next release

i refuse to have to by a bumper, even though some look amazing, in order for the device to work properly

surely Apple will get it straight by then, won't they?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
also, IF there indeed is a flaw on Apple's end, does this mean people should lighten up on AT&T?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
There will be no recall. Looking at Apples statement it should be fairly obvious lol. It's an interesting design but you can guarantee that next year the iPhone 5 won't look like the 4.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods