Ok, I know it's a newbie question...but here it goes.

I've never owned an iphone. I want to get one. I'm not in any rush so I could wait for iphone 4 to come in 3 weeks. Should I get the 3gs or 4? What would a newbie to the whole iphone crazy be more impressed(be more satisfied) with given all signal issues with iphone 4.

I will use it for business which will replace my blackberry.

From what I've read the only real improvements come in the display, camera and HD video. I don't think I would know the difference in any of those anyways.

As a reference I have had the bold 9700 and 9000. I think the 9000 is a much better phone so I know newer is not always better.

Thoughts?
    07-02-2010 07:46 AM
    The iPhone 4 also has a (according to reports) much better battery life than the 3GS. Not to mention more memory & a better/faster processor.

Yes, there are reception issues. But, after seeing an iPhone 4 side-by-side w/my 3GS I'd say go for the latest & greatest now & get a bumper too.
    07-02-2010 08:08 AM
    I would deff. have to say go with the i4. I have the original 2G and I get mine in a week. Seeing as you are coming from never having had an iPhone before I would reccomend the i4 because it will be a shock to you how amazing it is.
    07-02-2010 09:11 AM
    I have to agree. iPhone 4 is supposed to be way better then the 3GS.
    07-02-2010 11:59 AM
    I just left blackberry (RIP curve.....) and i have been very happy with my new 16g 3gs. has all the bells and everything you need...it really comes down to preference...do you need bigger or just coming off of the bb, it will still amaze you in the differ between bb and iphone 3gs...you decide...and good luck
    07-02-2010 01:48 PM
    I also just came over from BlackBerry (8900) back to iPhone again and I got a 3GS instead of going for the iPhone 4. With the new OS upgrade on the 3GS it has all the features of the iPhone 4 .. with, of course as you mentioned, the resolution, better camera and probably better battery life. However, I get 12-14 hours of battery life with moderate-heavy use, so battery has never been an issue to me. The resolution is still amazingly better than the BlackBerry, and the camera is still really good - it has autofocus, macro settings, etc.

You won't be unhappy with a 3GS by any means - and in my opinion, it is still a really great phone. People who are more into multimedia things like videos, editing, and pictures will prefer the iPhone 4 because of those better options. But you honestly wouldn't go wrong with either one.
    07-02-2010 02:31 PM
    Definitely get the iPhone 4. Hands down the best choice available.
    07-02-2010 02:32 PM
    They are only offering the 3GS in 8Gb. The only way, in my opinion, you'll be happy with just 8Gb is if you keep __no__ music, audiobooks or video on your iPhone. For me that is half the point.

I travel for work, I keep a big hunk of my music on the iphone, audiobooks for everyday commutes and long drives to remote work sites, and videos when stuck in airports or the doctor's office. I have a 32Gb 3GS with 5 Gb available on it, and wish they offered a 64Gb iPhone 4. I have about 2Gb taken up by the OS and a few Apps. Go for the most memory you can get.

Oh, and if things go their normal course, in 2 years the 3GS will be severely limited in what it can do with the current OS, and considered obsolete in 3. You can sell the 4 as having a longer usable life, if work is picking up the tab for the hardware.
    Last edited by MacinNW; 07-02-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    07-02-2010 02:37 PM
    Definitely opt for the i4... battery life alone and the fact that when you opt for a newer i5 or whatever it might be you can still sell the i4 for a pretty penny, if not more than what you paid for it lol
    07-02-2010 02:56 PM
    They are only offering the 3GS in 8Gb. The only way, in my opinion, you'll be happy with just 8Gb is if you keep __no__ music, audiobooks or video on your iPhone. For me that is half the point.
    The first time I had the iPhone, I had the 3G 8GB, I had over 40-some apps and a few hundred songs. I still had more than 4GB of memory left on the phone. I was sufficiently satisfied with only 8GB ... and now I have a 32GB and I barely use any memory on that. I guess each person is different, though.
    07-02-2010 03:01 PM
    Seems like the 3GS will probably suit my fancy.
    I will say this...the 3Gs seems more stable and I'm not really a techie or one to modify a device. Just want it to work and shut my mouth...
    ...and I assume compared to bberry I'll be impressed regardless.
    07-02-2010 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD