Everyone freaking out about the iPhone Death Grip: If this does, in fact, turn out to be due not to the design of the antenna, which actually is far more sensitive than the 3GS, but instead to a software bug in the radio stack that prevents any iOS4 device from switching 3G bands cleanly when the signal degrades, and if iOS 4.01 fixes said issue, will you admit you were wrong about dogging on Apple and the design of the iPhone 4?
    06-30-2010 11:51 PM
    Sorry, it's not going to happen. They may be able to boost the signal or help it choose a closer tower, but no matter what the signal drop is huge compared to other phones and previous iPhones when blocking the lower left.

Even worse is I can have the phone flat on a desk and just touch the black strip on the bottom left where the antennas meet and drop the signal just the same as if I was holding it in the death grip...no amount of software is going to fix that.
    06-30-2010 11:54 PM
    Not having this issue, so I'm good.

Nothing to admit
    07-01-2010 12:03 AM

Nothing to admit
    Touche'.

(Obligatory garbage text to overcome arbitrary forum discrimination against the concise)
    07-01-2010 12:07 AM

Nothing to admit
    Did you see the info discovered by AnandTech today? You might still show 5 bars, but you are losing signal. Not a very reliable test, but if you do it enough time and take an average it should give you an idea...

Do a speed test with the phone on the desk and then repeat this after holding it your left hand 30 seconds, making sure to cover the bottom left.

You might still be getting 1 Mbps download in your hand, but I bet you are getting 2x as much with it on the desk.
    07-01-2010 12:13 AM
    im not having this issue either but for those who are, i still say its a hardware issue and that remark stands as is

if apple fixes the proximity sensor issue then i will be grateful and worship apple til no tomm cause this is KILLING meeeeee!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..............! !!!!!!!!!!
    07-01-2010 12:35 AM
    I think there will be reception issues no matter what Apple does software wise. I do think they can at least help the problem by about 40%, which should be enough for most. There will still be some who won't see any increase no matter what Apple does. It could be their area or something else.

To be honest, these issues are really the first time I have begun to really evaluate other platforms.
    07-01-2010 01:04 AM
    I won't ditch the iPhone solely based on the fact that if I hold it with my left hand the signal will drop. I hold my phones with my right hand 99% of the time so this issue doesn't affect me much.

I do believe though that it is an os issue that apple will fix and soon (hopefully).
    07-01-2010 01:11 AM
    Did you see the info discovered by AnandTech today? You might still show 5 bars, but you are losing signal. Not a very reliable test, but if you do it enough time and take an average it should give you an idea...

Do a speed test with the phone on the desk and then repeat this after holding it your left hand 30 seconds, making sure to cover the bottom left.

You might still be getting 1 Mbps download in your hand, but I bet you are getting 2x as much with it on the desk.

Before that was posted, I was trying that and
    I actually got the highest when holding it over
    me laying it down on my coffee table. What's
    even crazier was my speeds went to a crawl
    twice when leaving it on the table vs. holding
    it.

Avg. 2000Kbits/s down
    Avg. 330Kbits/s up

My up sucks
    07-01-2010 01:12 AM
    Keep in mind, on my 3GS, I've never gotten
    close to 1000Kbits/s down in my home, only
    by my son in Rockland county, NY.
    07-01-2010 01:13 AM
    Before that was posted, I was trying that and I actually got the highest when holding it over me laying it down on my coffee table.
    Yeah, that's a strange result, but with the radio signals, especially from ATT, having normal fluctuation, plus the speed test results dependent on ATT backhaul and the other server to serve the speed test. Just too many variables I guess.
    07-01-2010 01:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD