Proximity Sensor Issue

ptb127

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
My wife is having this issue. Very annoying...she keeps hanging up on people because of it.

I am hoping it is a software-related issue; my guess is that it is.

When is this OS 4.01 update coming out?!

Its happening to me too, except im hitting the mute button leading ppl to believe I hung up on them. I am also hitting the contacts button so when I go to hang up, I am on the contacts list. I remember the iPhone 3G had this issue but a software update corrected all of it.

timberga

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
If you have this issue, please report it via this link:

apple DOT com / feedback

(sorry I don't have 10 posts on here yet so I can't post the actual link)

Fill out all the information, the more "actual" feedback Apple gets the more likely they are to act on it. Complaining in the forums won't get it done, and you shouldn't sit back and say, that other guy/gal will submit their issue/feedback, they don't need for me to submit my feedback.

I was told by an Apple technician to go to that link and post my feedback and to encourage anyone else I knew to fill it out as well.....

nheilweil

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Aaarg me matey, I just cheek zapped me captain and he's pissed!

I've got this problem and Apple is providing a new iPhone 4 in an hour (in store replacement through Genius Bar). Really annoying to be on a call and hear, "beep, beep, boop, beep..." followed by the realization you've hung up on the caller. Tired of cheek zapping people!

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
bad news

My wife just got a replacement phone and the problem is still there. She keeps hanging up on people during phone calls. This is a serious issue. They need to adjust the sensitivity of the proximity sensor ASAP. No one at Apple seems to have any clue what to do. In fact, one of the geniuses at the store reported they are having the same problem with their phone. They suggested using the ear-buds! Unbelievable.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
boooooooooo apple

My wife just got a replacement phone and the problem is still there. She keeps hanging up on people during phone calls. This is a serious issue. They need to adjust the sensitivity of the proximity sensor ASAP. No one at Apple seems to have any clue what to do. In fact, one of the geniuses at the store reported they are having the same problem with their phone. They suggested using the ear-buds! Unbelievable.

unnn...beeeeeeeeeeeee-leivable! :mad:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I actually didn't experience this issue until I
decided to restore my device the other day.
I didn't have any issues with it, so I'm still
trying to figure out why I even bothered to
restore it :(

Thndrct619

May 8, 2009
Visit site
I had called apple today trying to fix a different issue, but while on the phone with them I hung up on them with my cheek.

I called back and let them know what happened and they said this is an issue that they know about and that I would probably have to return it for a new phone.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
I had called apple today trying to fix a different issue, but while on the phone with them I hung up on them with my cheek.

I called back and let them know what happened and they said this is an issue that they know about and that I would probably have to return it for a new phone.

are u frikking kiddin me? return for a new phone??? wow... so this is a hardware issue as i thought?

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I just had this issue happen to me this is the first time.. basically I held the phone to my ear with my shoulder and it put someone on speaker phone

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I would think this has to be a calibration issue, which means it is probably a software issue. If it's not, Apple is gonna have a major recall on their hands.

ptb127

Dec 14, 2008
Visit site
I have had bad problems with it. Consistently pressing the mute/hold key, a couple of times, my cheek was able to select the contact list, open a contact, select the ringtone, and play a preview of the ringtone on the top of the list. It's awful. I tried "Reset Settings" to no help.

stevecito

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
It's definitely hardware...don't break your head trying to "fix" it. The sensor is rucked up. I read this thread, called Apple, (1-800-APL-CARE in the US) and told them about my problem and they gave be two options:

1) Go to my local Apple Store swap for a brand new one

or

2) They would send me a box to return mine and when they receive it they send out a new one

I chose option 1.

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely hardware...don't break your head trying to "fix" it. The sensor is rucked up. I read this thread, called Apple, (1-800-APL-CARE in the US) and told them about my problem and they gave be two options:

1) Go to my local Apple Store swap for a brand new one

or

2) They would send me a box to return mine and when they receive it they send out a new one

I chose option 1.

How is your new phone? Does it still screw up?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I actually didn't experience this issue until I
decided to restore my device the other day.
I didn't have any issues with it, so I'm still
trying to figure out why I even bothered to
restore it :(

so you just retored for shiits and giggles? lol Duvi... I can never figure you out bro. lol

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
so you just retored for shiits and giggles? lol Duvi... I can never figure you out bro. lol

I know, very stupid. I normally do it with all
phones, I just forgot to as I didn't even know
the Apple chick had deactivated my N1's sim
and activated the i4. Ahhh well, to the apple
store I go. Hopefully get me a white soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro