Proximity Sensor Issue

marissaa310

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I apologize if there is a thread about this already, but I didn't see one...

Is anyone else have an issue with the proximity sensor on iPhone 4? When I am on a call, my screen will randomly turn on occasionally and I end up press buttons with my face that I don't mean to press. I have put my call on Mute multiple times without realizing it, gone into text messages and send gibberish texts to people, and today my phone went into my settings and starting playing ringtones in my ear in the MIDDLE of a call. WTF?!? I hope this is just a software issue....

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
This fixed the problem for me.

Go to Settings, General, and scroll all the way down to the bottom. Tap Reset and the Reset All Settings. Somehow this is supposed to re-calibrates the proximity sensor.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've had the issue one time.

I have had this issue almost with every single call I make. Last night I was talking to an employee and about 3 times during the conversation, the screen reactivated, my ear pressed against the Mute button, and the person on the other end just kept saying "hello? hellooo?"

It appears that, for some people, the proximity sensor is not registering that it is aiming INTO the ear canal, and thinks there is nothing in front of it, and because of that, reactivates the screen. I have tested this a few times, and can easily replicated it the same every time.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
This fixed the problem for me.

Go to Settings, General, and scroll all the way down to the bottom. Tap Reset and the Reset All Settings. Somehow this is supposed to re-calibrates the proximity sensor.

didn't work for me, there is still that "sweet spot", or in this case, "sour spot", where i can get the phone positioned right up against my head and ear where the screen turns back on.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
So I just replicated your issue. If I talk on my phone with it resting on my shoulder and my head leaning on it, the sensor disengages as if I am not on a call. If I even slightly tilt my head, the sensor works as normal. It almost seems that it is a software issue. As if it is too sensitive...

Joletzring

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
yes...

My wife is having this issue. Very annoying...she keeps hanging up on people because of it.

I am hoping it is a software-related issue; my guess is that it is.

When is this OS 4.01 update coming out?!

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I heard some tech pundits say you need to restore it as a "new phone" (from itunes) and that issue will go away. Good luck.

jakej914

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
You might try resetting setting, but honestly, I think it is just that the software is more sensitive and that the location of the sensor has changed. Try to lower the phone on your ear. That's what I've been doing, and it has been working.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Well I don't really pay attention to threads on Apple.com. Of those 513 posts, I am sure a good number are like, nope not me. No problems here. I believe it's a software bug that makes the sensor too sensitive.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
this damn proximity issue is driving me crazy!!! I was on a call for 1 hour and in that hour, it puts the call on hold, mutes the call, dials other numbers from my contacts!! What the hell APPLE!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!! This phone is useless to me now, i will be using my 3G|s| until this is fixed or this i4 will be on eBay!

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
honestly, the iPhone is a "software" phone in the end. It has become a phone to run software on, and having to reset the phone to "like new" without being able to reload/restore all of the save data (I am NOT playing thru Plants vs Zombies again) is just stupid.

Apple can fix this in a software update, and I am guessing they will.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
honestly, the iPhone is a "software" phone in the end. It has become a phone to run software on, and having to reset the phone to "like new" without being able to reload/restore all of the save data (I am NOT playing thru Plants vs Zombies again) is just stupid.

Apple can fix this in a software update, and I am guessing they will.

i really hope they do it soon, some ppl say its software and some say hardware... i need a confirmation on this!?

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
It's a shame that tapping the Reset All Settings button doesn't fix this for everybody. Although it did make it to where I wasn't muting or putting people on speaker, I have noticed that the sensor still isn't quite right. If I move the phone away from my ear and then immediately put it back, it takes a second or two for the sensor to trigger the display to go dormant.

I'm no expert but this has to be a software issue.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue myself and in one call, I hung up 3 times. I was aggrivated and hell. They guy kept thinking it was his phone because he was in a bad area. I never said anything, but I knew it was my phone, because when my face would hit the screen it would hang up and lock the phone. This really needs to be addressed too.

emily0605

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm having this issue and it's driving me batty. Keeping the phone lower on my ear seems to help some, but is a PITA. I'll try the settings thing. I do hope they do a fix for it.

rgar3388

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm another one having this same issue. Restored the phone as new, and reseted the settings, neither worked. I've learned to deal with it because I love everything else about the phone but I hope this is fixed soon enough.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods