iPhone 4 Reception Issue Is Not That Bad

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I know every user is different and I'm probably not a hardcore user but I just don't understand why so many users just HAVE to hold the phone that way? I know it's your choice and you should be able to but if there's a problem when you do it why not put it in your pocket and use the headphones that come with it until the problem is resolved? I think it's like you know walking down road B a bully will beat your ass and walking down road A you'll get to your destination safe, so until the cops catch the bully why not take road A? instead you say well I should be able to walk wherever I want it's my choice and then complain when the bully beats your ass. I don't know if the problem happens using the headphones too I'm in Canada so we don't have it yet. So I'm not crazily keeping track of the problem. I just think if it really affects someone that much take it back if not try to workaround it until they figure out how to fix the problem.

The Android thing I understand why Jellotime compared it to them, they are the only current smartphones most competitive with the iPhone. I don't have any problems with the users because I don't know any personally. I don't go to their forums because I don't own one and I'm not curious about them. I have a problem with the companies because of their ads. There has never been an iPhone ad saying things like droid does what we do better or something like that and yet droid ads are constantly coming out with things like our two peice antennae works when you hold it. I just find it petty and would never buy one from a company that markets like that.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
But Jello i'm not so sure that it is an AT&T issue with their signals. Like I stated I NEVER had this problem with my 3g.

i think whmurray explained this one rather well:

There are really two AT&T service levels. There is old AT&T Wireless, the first wireless carrier to roll out 3G. There service was very good but they had minimal coverage, a few major markets. They, along with the brand, were acquired by Cingular. The coverage went up dramatically but the service dropped. The combined companies were, and remain, far behind Verizon and Sprint in 3G coverage. They advertise that they cover 97% of the population. However, as the (Verizon) ad shows, their 3G coverage of the geography is far less than that of Verizon.

Even for the 3% percent of us who travel a lot and really worry about broad coverage, local service trumps everything. However, one should not project one's local coverage or service on the rest of the world. There are still two AT&Ts.

Those who happen to be in the old AT&T market area should count their blessings but they should not gloat.

joec222

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It is so difficult to understand why those of you defending apple on this issue can't understand that regardless of all the claims that the 4g has better signal performance, it does not work for many users. It kind of reminds me of the health care issue- I have it - don't care about anyone else.

To defend a phone that does not work for almost half the users is just dumb.

If apple does not fix this problem by July 15th., lots more droid x's will be sold.

liggitt

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
It is absolutely an issue. When I?m not holding the phone, I have 5 bars. When I hold the phone ?normally? (not smothering it or intentionally holding it tightly) it eventually drops to No service. If I?m on a phone call, it?s not as big a deal since I can intentionally hold it with just my fingertips, but if I?m using an app, the phone drops service, I won?t receive calls, and I won?t even realize it if the app hides the status bar.

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
It is absolutely an issue. When I?m not holding the phone, I have 5 bars. When I hold the phone ?normally? (not smothering it or intentionally holding it tightly) it eventually drops to No service. If I?m on a phone call, it?s not as big a deal since I can intentionally hold it with just my fingertips, but if I?m using an app, the phone drops service, I won?t receive calls, and I won?t even realize it if the app hides the status bar.

LOL but we shouldn't have to hold our phones with our fingertips. We never used to have to with our old iphones so why should this one be any different?! The only reason other people are mad we're complaining is because it doesn't affect them so they don't care!

mpaquette

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
It is so difficult to understand why those of you defending apple on this issue can't understand that regardless of all the claims that the 4g has better signal performance, it does not work for many users. It kind of reminds me of the health care issue- I have it - don't care about anyone else.

If apple does not fix this problem by July 15th., lots more droid x's will be sold.

Really, almost half? Did you take a scientific poll or something?

abunk79

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Anyone tested 3G signal vs EDGE to see if the problems are any different? I have had my 3g for 15months and have turned the 3G capability on maybe a handful of times. I mostly use wifi for data and have found that 3G signal is easily manipulated compared to EDGE. I can talk inside a metal building on EDGE, but lose 3G signal in Walmart, switch the 3G off and I get 3 bars on EDGE.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site

No one is defending Apple they are giving their opinion on the issue. Now to saw defending the phone is dumb, why is that?? no one forces half the users to keep the phone there are other phones out there if it bothers them so much take it back or sell it and buy another phone.

John T

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
It is so difficult to understand why those of you defending apple on this issue can't understand that regardless of all the claims that the 4g has better signal performance, it does not work for many users.

Only if they hold it in a certain way! Many users have found it works fine for them!

Where did you get this statistic from? Never use a statement such as this without evidence to back it up!

apple does not fix this problem by July 15th., lots more droid x's will be sold.

Again - evidence?!

Of course, if you really want people to take your post seriously, it's best to preface your "statements with something like "In my humble opinion" which, after all, is what it is!!

Last edited:

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
This is not an iPhone 4 issue! My friend has a 3GS with iOS 4 and I held his phone today in a class we are taking and his signal dropped just like it does on the iPhone 4. You can't tell me that it's a phone issue when the 3GS does the same thing. I really really believe its the baseband in the new OS not switching fast enough when signal gets lower. If it was a hardware issue then the 3GS wouldn't do this!

Also I agree with those who say no one is forcing anyone to keep the phone. I believe we all have what...14 or 30 days to return if you aren't happy? Take it back and stop crying!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
This is not an iPhone 4 issue! My friend has a 3GS with iOS 4 and I held his phone today in a class we are taking and his signal dropped just like it does on the iPhone 4.

It's a phone issue b/c not holding it, but touching with just the tip of one finger to the connection point between the 2 antennas on the bottom left causes a significant drop in signal.

If anyone can show me a drop like that on a 3GS, I'd love to see it.

spiels

Aug 29, 2009
Visit site
Location reception issue

Sitting in my house, with bumper on, hold in "death grip", go from 5 to zero bars. Step out on my deck, repeat, no drop in bars.

Signal strength????

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
Sitting in my house, with bumper on, hold in "death grip", go from 5 to zero bars. Step out on my deck, repeat, no drop in bars.

Signal strength????

All 5 bars are not equal.
Best 5 bar signal = -51 dB
Lowest 5 bar signal = -99 dB

Signal drop is about 10 dBs with case, 20 dBs without. If you start at a -60 dB signal and drop let's say 15 dBs you go to -85, still in the good 5 bar range.

If you start at -98 dBs and drop 15 dBs you go to -113 dBs which is 1 bar, weakest signal possible.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@Justin
I believe by phone issue he meant hardware issue. The issue behaves exactly the same on the 3GS, and there are plenty of videos of the reception going down on the 3GS just like on the iPhone 4.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
@Justin
I believe by phone issue he meant hardware issue. The issue behaves exactly the same on the 3GS, and there are plenty of videos of the reception going down on the 3GS just like on the iPhone 4.

I've had a 3GS on iOS 4 since April and never noticed a drop like this. Yes, I wasn't looking for one, but I would have notice a drop from 5 to zero bars.

And I'm asking for a video dropping 5 bars by using just one finger, one tip of one finger, to drop a 3GS.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox