iPhone 4 Reception Issue Is Not That Bad

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Let's look at all of the hardware issues for a comparable flagship phone, shall we?

The funny thing is, Google doesn't even bother to address N1 issues anymore. They have a whole message board dedicated to it, and they used to respond to issues and try to fix them, now they don't give a shvt. How many months has it been since the Nexus One was released!? And they've already abandoned the damn thing.

Also, Google's response to the N1's screen cracking was even more ludicrous than Steve's "don't hold it that way" response. They said the Nexus One simply "doesn't *go* in pockets". What the fvck is that? Does that mean I have to carry the god damn thing in my third hand all the time?

And, what about the fvcking buttons, 75% of the buttons do not work when you press them. You have to hit them in the top 25% or you're not getting anywhere, and let's not forget the screen, showing 30% less pixels than it's supposed to.

When you compare iPhone 4's 1 issue (which may soon be fixed) to these issues, it doesn't seem like such a big effing deal. The only reason it gets so much attention is that ... *Shocker!*... iPhone actually sells.

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
My opionon on this is that yes for those it affects its really annoying and something which should have been picked up before launch, but the truth is it doesnt cause problems for everyone (see the poll on this forum which is almost tied)

In the absence of an "iphone killer" that all these manufactuers keep touting, they have to start trying to destroy anything apple releases and fuss about the unimportant things.

Ultimatly though,

Iphone is pretty well built (if fragile but hey its mostly glass!) but it doesnt fall apart and cut cheese the palm pre

The iphone has a vibrant and accurate other like nexus one and droid are not (and like above have sensitivity issues with buttons)

and the iphone does a lot for its battery life unlike the evo whose battery plumits

nuff said

mpaquette

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I think the point the OP is trying to make is that all phones have issues, but Apple's issues seem to draw the most attention. Is Apple held to a higher standard? Maybe. If so, it's probably because they are seen as the leader in smartphone innovation so everyone is ready to jump on any perceived chink in their armor. Lately, it seems as though the Android crowd spends way to much time posting on anything related to issues pertaining to Apple.

Scuba629

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from a blackberry were I always was able to make a call or use data.. The iPhone 4 doesn't let me do either in some areas. I normally wouldn't care that much but I do get called in for work issues sometimes and if they can't get a hold of me because im holding my phone that's pretty bad. lol

I guess what im saying it the one issue is a big deal for me. I'm usually in an area that has wifi so maybe they should let us make/take calls over wifi. lol

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Why all the Android hate all the time?

I don't hate Android, it's definitely the second best option (webOS would be, but it has zero ecosystem and dev interest). I even bought an Android phone. I eventually got rid of it, but I'm not the typical "hate anything that's not iPhone" fanboy type of person.

I'm talking about hardware issues. I just find it funny that people babble on and on about this ONE issue which doesn't even effect everyone and can actually be avoided, but when Android phones have many and much more severe issues, nobody will dare mention them. Because Android phones are our saviour from Jobs the dictator? I just don't get why they are exempt from any lasting negative attention. It's like, they have this huge issue, it persists, company which created the hardware does nothing, and a few months later everyone just imagines that the issue doesn't exist.

As another example, HTC's Evo 4G and Incredible both can not be touched in the top half of the screen when they are on a flat surface. HTC has said there will be a fix for this soon, so people act as if the problem doesn't exist.

mpaquette
Exactly my point. Thanks.

Scuba629
That's fair. I just find it ridiculous that people act as if other phones have never had issues before. And even when Steve Jobs has replied to an email saying there is a fix coming soon, people act as if this is something that won't be fixed until iPhone 5.

Blah @_@

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
We're talking about something that Jobs said was much improved during the iphone 4 announcement. A feat of stellar engineering to place the antenna on the outside.

And now we find out if you hold in left hand, it decreases the signal. And not just a little bit.

That's a problem. And that's why there is a firestorm of criticism. Because Apple bragged about how swell the new antenna was.

Personally i can work around it. But Apple needs to fix it.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
We're talking about something that Jobs said was much improved during the iphone 4 announcement. A feat of stellar engineering to place the antenna on the outside.

And now we find out if you hold in left hand, it decreases the signal. And not just a little bit.

That's a problem. And that's why there is a firestorm of criticism. Because Apple bragged about how swell the new antenna was.

Personally i can work around it. But Apple needs to fix it.

You're right, but a few things you have to remember / recognize:

The phone's reception actually is greatly improved. Many tech blogs have performed tests, and where a 3GS was receiving 1.5mbps service, the iPhone 4 received 2.5mbps... That's a huge difference, and personally I can't even imagine how they managed to do that.

The other thing is, Steve Jobs has already stated in an email that there is a fix coming soon for the antenna issue (or alluded to one). I've seen the issue in my 3GS on OS4 so I believe it's definitely fixable.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Apple is attacked because they have the biggest target in the mobile phone market at this time. Any flaw is going to be magnified 100 times because of who they are and what they did to the mobile phone market. I am familiar with the reception issues of the Nexus One, and the way Google handled it is garbage.

Apple needs to be tarred and feathered over this issue. They did something that anyone with a basic understanding of physics knew was going to be an issue. Their secrecy in testing their products came back to bite them in the butt.

Is this new antenna design helping people? The answer overall is yes. For some it has gotten worse and the reception issues do cause issues, but for many, it works fine. They have the signal fluctuation issues, but most of those people still state that they don't drop the call. It has helped me quite a bit with reliability of the calls. I could always tell when I was about to drop a call, even with 5 bars. I don't have that issue anymore.

What should Apple do? All they can do is change the accuracy of the bars. Beyond that, there isn't anything they can do hardware wise without a massive recall or a new design for the i4GS or whatever it's going to be called.

In the end, for me personally, it's a non-issue since it doesn't bother me or affect my voice reliability.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I've already bragged on the increased 3G speed.

But all many are seeing is a significant decrease in bars when they hold the device. That's not acceptable. If a fix is coming..great. Until then, Apple deserves to hear about it.

metalmike

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
totally agree people are hating on it for all the negative articles and when you tell them it has to do with the software they dont understand i use to bash the iphone until i got one and wow it really is so much better then the rest of the competition

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, my 3GS would have no service when another ATT device had 5 bars, it's like people we can't HAVE it BOTH ways.... the reception on the new iPhone is far greater than it's predecessor, we need to praise that since the call reception is better... look if you take any cell phone and death grip it, or stick it between your ear and shoulder (like most of us do from time to time) how many times iPhone or other device (it's happened to me with BB) have we muffled the signal, lets not tar and feather Apple for what seems to be an OS calibration IF it's appear on a model with an INTERNAL ANTENNA

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Exactly, my 3GS would have no service when another ATT device had 5 bars, it's like people we can't HAVE it BOTH ways.... the reception on the new iPhone is far greater than it's predecessor, we need to praise that since the call reception is better... look if you take any cell phone and death grip it, or stick it between your ear and shoulder (like most of us do from time to time) how many times iPhone or other device (it's happened to me with BB) have we muffled the signal, lets not tar and feather Apple for what seems to be an OS calibration IF it's appear on a model with an INTERNAL ANTENNA

Exactly, and like I said as soon as HTC acknowledged their screen issues people pretend as if it's done and the issue is gone, when they haven't actually fixed it yet. Why is it different for Apple?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Let's look at all of the hardware issues for a comparable flagship phone, shall we?

The funny thing is, Google doesn't even bother to address N1 issues anymore. They have a whole message board dedicated to it, and they used to respond to issues and try to fix them, now they don't give a shvt. How many months has it been since the Nexus One was released!? And they've already abandoned the damn thing.

Also, Google's response to the N1's screen cracking was even more ludicrous than Steve's "don't hold it that way" response. They said the Nexus One simply "doesn't *go* in pockets". What the fvck is that? Does that mean I have to carry the god damn thing in my third hand all the time?

And, what about the fvcking buttons, 75% of the buttons do not work when you press them. You have to hit them in the top 25% or you're not getting anywhere, and let's not forget the screen, showing 30% less pixels than it's supposed to.

When you compare iPhone 4's 1 issue (which may soon be fixed) to these issues, it doesn't seem like such a big effing deal. The only reason it gets so much attention is that ... *Shocker!*... iPhone actually sells.

Exactly!!! I haven't even been paying attention because I know when it gets to Canada if I do have a problem I'll find a workaround or wait for Apple to fix it they always have in the past.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Exactly!!! I haven't even been paying attention because I know when it gets to Canada if I do have a problem I'll find a workaround or wait for Apple to fix it they always have in the past.

I don't think it will be such a big issue for Canada, because we have great GSM networks that can actually hold a call in the first place. In good signal areas, many users are unable to replicate this issue.

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
You're right, but a few things you have to remember / recognize:

The phone's reception actually is greatly improved. Many tech blogs have performed tests, and where a 3GS was receiving 1.5mbps service, the iPhone 4 received 2.5mbps... That's a huge difference, and personally I can't even imagine how they managed to do that.

The other thing is, Steve Jobs has already stated in an email that there is a fix coming soon for the antenna issue (or alluded to one). I've seen the issue in my 3GS on OS4 so I believe it's definitely fixable.

If you don't mind me asking do you have a link or quote to this email. I LOVE my new iphone4 for all the incredible features that it has other than being a phone. The thing that bothers me is the fact that with my old iphone 3g I got better reception anywhere I was holding it ANY WAY i wanted. Hopefully that Apple comes out with a fix soon. Or in the near future. I think that Apple is held to a higher standard.......

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking do you have a link or quote to this email. I LOVE my new iphone4 for all the incredible features that it has other than being a phone. The thing that bothers me is the fact that with my old iphone 3g I got better reception anywhere I was holding it ANY WAY i wanted. Hopefully that Apple comes out with a fix soon. Or in the near future. I think that Apple is held to a higher standard.......

http://www.tipb.com/2010/06/27/steve-jobs-iphone-4-reception-issue/

I also think AT&T will be improving their signal in the next few months as Jobs said, so wait it out, there will be some kind of resolve to your issue.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it will be such a big issue for Canada, because we have great GSM networks that can actually hold a call in the first place. In good signal areas, many users are unable to replicate this issue.

I'm in a very good signal area. Sometimes I can replicate the issue, other times I can't. I think it just depends on how moist my skin is at the moment and how easily it causes the "short" of the antennas. It's a design "flaw", it's not a manufacturing issue, it's not that some phones don't have the issue. Out of 4 phones I can replicate it on all 4, just not on all 4 at once. Why? See my previous theory.

Steve telling the public "don't hold it that way", sorry, that's not a valid response. This antenna design was an amazing feat of engineering...just don't hold your phone in your left hand...oops.

I love my iPhone 4, it's a great device. Apple is getting more flack for the problem bc they have a crazy large user base. 1.7 million phones it's first weekend? That's NUTS. How many Nexus 1s were sold total? Google searches show the Nexus One selling 200k it's first week. Estimates show that HTC EVO sold 150k it's first weekend.

THAT is why Apple gets more flack, there's more people yelling about the problem(s).

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
My opionon on this is that yes for those it affects its really annoying and something which should have been picked up before launch, but the truth is it doesnt cause problems for everyone (see the poll on this forum which is almost tied)
If affects everyone.

Too understand this you need to replace the 5 bars with 10. Not averaging out, but actually adding more bars on top of the 5.

So if you start with 9 bars, you drop to 5. If you start with 5 bars you drop to 1.

Both pones have the issue, just one persons crap signal is another persons best.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR