I just tried this method and i can now death grip and lose no bars! I saw this on macrumors.com.

Take the SIM card tray out and you will notice the gold contact of the SIM touches the SIM tray which touches the antenna band. If you put a piece of electrical tape on the SIM card ONLY where it touches the tray and reinsert you may or may not have fixed the issue. I did the death grip after doing this and I did not lose a single bar, where as prior to this fix I went from 5 bars from a microcell down to 1.

update #1: I just held it again for over 1 minute and I did lose 2 bars where as before I would lose 4 bars. So I havent gone below 3 bars yet with 1+ minute of death grip. Not a perfect fix but it seems to have improved my phone.

update 2: just went to smoke and used the stop watch on the phone...5 min and 15 sec of death grip and i lost 2 bars after 3 min 40 sec and by min 4 both bars came back.

again prior to doing this i was losing 4 out of 5 bars within the first minute of holding the phone with left hand. now after 5+ minutes i essentially lost nothing.

update 3: this appears to only work if you are using a bumper or a case. i took my case off and the signal dropped but with my case on its solid still.

Video #1 (no audio) doesnt lose a bar :

Video #2 (audio) loses 2 bars only compared to the normal 4 for me
    Last edited by BrianT; 06-30-2010 at 02:28 AM.
    06-30-2010 01:22 AM
    More cell towers...

Just a thought
    06-30-2010 01:36 AM
    posted video evidence of it working lol
    06-30-2010 02:03 AM
    The fact you are even going to these lengths to do this is great but I think it proves that this issue while it is one, maybe isn't as big as it's made to be ya know.
    06-30-2010 02:15 AM
    The fact you are even going to these lengths to do this is great but I think it proves that this issue while it is one, maybe isn't as big as it's made to be ya know.
    i agree. like i said as soon as i saw this on macrumors i had to give it a shot and its not perfect by any means but it improves the performance so far. ive had it lose no bars and ive had it lose up to 2 bars which is still better than losing 4 of 5 bars.
    06-30-2010 02:17 AM
    I agree with you 100%, when I grip the phone around the separation in the antennas I do lose some signal. It takes a couple mins to lose 2 bars maybe 3. Hopefully as speculated an update will cure this problem.

It's almost like this a grey area deal. Not a minor deal by any means for those who are experiencing complete call failure; yet not serious I think to have critics or the general public to really bash the phone. That may be a little harsh on the wording but to me it seems like a case by case issue. Most of it depends on the service area and how many people are on the network.
    06-30-2010 02:24 AM
    exactly. despite these issues AT&T stores still had lines and still sold out of the iPhone 4 today during open sales. gizmodo even says its still the phone to beat.
    06-30-2010 02:26 AM
    It's by far the best out there, does it do EVERYTHING, no. No phone does, but it comes close. My old 3GS was JB and my i4 does exactly the same things. At my work this past weekend I had my phone out on my desk a bunch and 95% of the people I encountered we're either enamored/jealous/impressed,take your pick. That in itself speaks volumes for what is a beautiful piece of technology. Apple knows what it's doing too, it keeps adding things every year making it product better. I'd be willing to bet that in the next few releases the phone will continue to add features people feel its lacks. It's the greatest marketing idea, it's like a first date, if you give everything you have on the first date, what does she have to keep coming back for. I know for myself as long as the keep re-upping their tech and form every year, I'll keep coming back.
    06-30-2010 02:35 AM
    It's by far the best out there, does it do EVERYTHING, no. No phone does, but it comes close. My old 3GS was JB and my i4 does exactly the same things. At my work this past weekend I had my phone out on my desk a bunch and 95% of the people I encountered we're either enamored/jealous/impressed,take your pick. That in itself speaks volumes for what is a beautiful piece of technology. Apple knows what it's doing too, it keeps adding things every year making it product better. I'd be willing to bet that in the next few releases the phone will continue to add features people feel its lacks. It's the greatest marketing idea, it's like a first date, if you give everything you have on the first date, what does she have to keep coming back for. I know for myself as long as the keep re-upping their tech and form every year, I'll keep coming back.
    same for me. i had my 3G JB to be able to background and add wallpaper and a few other things. i more than likely wont JB the iP4. everyone at work keeps asking me to see it to compare it to their 3G or 3GS.

it is frustrating though that such an issue (although not huge to me since i dont hold with my left hand 95% of the time) is seemingly being brushed away when they should be doing more research on it and fixing it immediately as to not scare people away from the device.
    06-30-2010 02:42 AM
    You would think that they might have caught this pre-release but I'm sure something is in the works. To be honest, I would be willing to say that most of the people buying iPhones don't follow blogs like we do. We scour and read these things religiously and have a great amount of insight to our phones and what Apple has going on. So, what that said most consumers probably aren't aware of the issue unless they really dig.
    06-30-2010 02:49 AM
    There seems to really be something to the SIM overlap issue. I removed my SIM, noted the off center SIM so I applied some scotch tape to the tray rather than the SIM. I trimmed it down precisely so that there's little chance of the tape coming off inside the phone and causing other issues. While I still see some signal drop, the phone does not go down to "no service".
    So, my conclusion is that there are a couple of issues in play. The signal attenuation from hand holding a phone is a given; it will happen to some extent with any phone and is, certainly, more problematic in a weak signal area. (perhaps even worse in an Edge area like I live in) AND there is a SIM issue that needs to be corrected. If it just comes down to a software fix and replacing a few hundred thousand defective SIMS, we'll be lucky.
    06-30-2010 10:53 AM
    Coach has it almost right. We understand what is going on and the people that don't read and research like we do, don't. the only problem with that is since they have no real idea what they are talking about. I keep hearing from morons that they "heard" the phone wont make calls because of the antenna issue. Then, in my best patronizing voice, i explain what the fuss is all about and then they understand. I use my headphones a lot so the issue really isn't a problem for me. I have to admit that I love when people notice my I4 and say something about it. lol
    06-30-2010 03:10 PM
    I just hope Apple comes up with something soon, that or the bumper I ordered arrives sooner than July 16th, because right now I already have spotty coverage as is and this antenna issue just makes it 10x worse.
    06-30-2010 03:40 PM
    More cell towers...

Just a thought
    I never had any loss of bars with my 3g....and now I do with my iphone 4 so that is definetly not it....I actually just popped my sim card out for the first time and it seems like the metal part is touching the holder....not sure if that is what is causing it or not.....
    Last edited by clg82; 06-30-2010 at 04:19 PM.
    06-30-2010 04:05 PM
    I never had any loss of bars with my 3g....and now I do with my iphone 4 so that is definetly not it....I actually just popped my sim card out for the first time and it seems like the metal part is touching the holder....not sure if that is what is causing it or not.....
    Just being sarcastic...
    06-30-2010 04:25 PM
    wait.. i'm not following i thought the bumper was supposed to eliminate this problem without tape?

what's the point of the tape if you have a bumper?
    06-30-2010 07:08 PM
    wait.. i'm not following i thought the bumper was supposed to eliminate this problem without tape?

what's the point of the tape if you have a bumper?
    the problem may not JUST be the bridging of the two parts of the antenna. the problem could also be the Micro-SIM's metal plate touching the metal frame of the SIM tray, which would be an internal issue, and not able to be dealt with via the Bumper.
    06-30-2010 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD