iOS 4.01 for iPhone 4

Will we see iOS 4.01 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
OS update isn't going to 'fix' the reception issue. It's a hardware fault. If they claim to be offering a fix it will be cosmetic, and therefore entirely pointless.

I'm still not convinced it's hardware. I've personally seen too many 3G and 3GS iPhones that this problem could be replicated just like my iPhone 4. If it were hardware related to just the iPhone 4, it couldn't/wouldn't be replicated on the 3G and 3GS. Had I not see it with my own eyes, I might believe it to be an iPhone 4 hardware problem.

benjimen

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
This device is perfect until you attempt to use it as a phone. Great reception on my 3GS all over town, including at home. Now, even when holding the phone 'correctly', reception drops (great for when mom calls). I can easily make it happen.

I sure hope they come out with a solution, as I would hate to return it -- but that is what I'll wind up doing if it isn't resolved within the 30 days I have to give it back :(

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
Mine works close to perfect. Only issue that I
had once yesterday was with the photos app.

If I choose to view a pic and delete it, it would
either show the pic being all black or go to the
next pic in which all the options at the bottom
(like delete and others) can't be selected until
I back out the app and go in. Only happened
once, so it may just be a one time occurrence.

This happens frequently to me. Just a bug it seems. I didn't notice it on the GM Candidate version however, but I also wasn't looking for it either. Overall, I prefer Apple take their time to get the reception bug fixed. It needs to be less than two weeks in my mind.

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm still not convinced it's hardware. I've personally seen too many 3G and 3GS iPhones that this problem could be replicated just like my iPhone 4. If it were hardware related to just the iPhone 4, it couldn't/wouldn't be replicated on the 3G and 3GS. Had I not see it with my own eyes, I might believe it to be an iPhone 4 hardware problem.

Had it occurred to you that the same issue that occurs on the 3G/3GS is also a hardware issue? If it was a software issue on those handsets, surely they'd have already "fixed" that with a software update.

A physical interaction is occurring and causing the problem, it's a hardware issue.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Had it occurred to you that the same issue that occurs on the 3G/3GS is also a hardware issue? If it was a software issue on those handsets, surely they'd have already "fixed" that with a software update.

A physical interaction is occurring and causing the problem, it's a hardware issue.

For me and a few colleagues, it didn't happen prior to iOS 4. I carried my 3GS naked and never had signal bars go down holding the phone until iOS 4 was installed. That's what a couple of colleagues told me as well. One of which heard of the issue while still running 3.1.3 and tried to replicate it before he upgraded and could not, but could replicate it after her upgraded to iOS 4.

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
For me and a few colleagues, it didn't happen prior to iOS 4. I carried my 3GS naked and never had signal bars go down holding the phone until iOS 4 was installed. That's what a couple of colleagues told me as well. One of which heard of the issue while still running 3.1.3 and tried to replicate it before he upgraded and could not, but could replicate it after her upgraded to iOS 4.

Well if it is hardware issue and they attempt a fix via software and people are still dropping calls, there's going to be a **** storm.

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
Well if it is hardware issue and they attempt a fix via software and people are still dropping calls, there's going to be a **** storm.

I do agree. If it's hardware, there will nearly have to be some kind of recall. I wouldn't know what else they could do. Like I said though, from what I have witnessed, I'm leaning more toward firmware. Not sure how it could be, but have a had a couple of engineers tell me it's possible. Of course they both said without having first hand knowledge of the design of the hardware and firmware and all algorithms used, who knows for sure, "except Apple engineers".

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Same... no reception issues here. Seems to
be even better than my 3Gs which was good
to me.

And two things have stood out to me: Call quality seems to be
better which I think I can attribute to the noise canceling mic,
and my WiFi signal strength is much better.

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I really think they will have it out this week. You have to know SJ is all over this. It certainly hasn't slowed the phone sales.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I can only make it happen on wifi, on 3G I held 5 bars on a hour + call while trying to mimic it.

I turned off wifi and tried to dup it. First time I failed, but second time it dropped from 5 bars to 1. I've never been able to get it to drop to "searching".

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

i second your statement. i have seen cases where iOS4 on a 3G has the same issue. I don't really see how this could be a software fix but I sure hope it is or Apple is going to be in a bad spot. But hey if they have to recall and fix it I'll take a new iPhone 4 again haha!

realphood

Oct 11, 2008
Visit site

does anyone have a real apple bumper does it fix the signal prob

I am still waiting to get one ..
no release yet in the north

oh sh1t yah a recall would be insane ...

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site

i have this Griffin Case and it does not help anything signal wise. i will say i LOVE this case though. it protects the sides and the back but still shows off the sexyness of the phone (minus the aluminum sides).

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
i have this Griffin Case and it does not help anything signal wise. i will say i LOVE this case though. it protects the sides and the back but still shows off the sexyness of the phone (minus the aluminum sides).

That is indeed a nice case!!
A little pricy though... Sigh. I guess now that Apple has cut holes in live strong bracelets and priced them at $29.99, case makers feel like they can overprice their cases horribly as well...

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
That is indeed a nice case!!
A little pricy though... Sigh. I guess now that Apple has cut holes in live strong bracelets and priced them at $29.99, case makers feel like they can overprice their cases horribly as well...

hell the incase 3G case at apple store was $30 so $25 was cheap in my eyes lol.

iPhone4Jay

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

I have a Black 32GB iPhone 4 with a Black Apple Bumper. It seams to be having the same reception problem. Anyone else having this issue with the bumper on?