wish apple had kept the 3GS design

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
no way i love the new design! i like sleek, i do get what people say but i have no problem being more careful with it! in fact i feel like i dropped my iphone too much before when i had the 3G cuz I wasnt that worried about it. it was covered with cracks and scratches on the back.. this one ive been so much more cautious but im glad i am

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
And I was taking some photos today and it felt so darn delicate trying to hold it in landscape mode while not covering up the camera lens in any way (and trying to describe to my brother-in-law how to hold it since he was the one who was going to take a picture of us).
Really? With the flat sides I think this is the easiest iPhone to hold by the edges yet. I don't see how the form factor is any different from any other compact P & S camera- i.e. they're all basically thin rectangles with flat sides.

I miss the back curve of the 3G/S when I'm holding the phone to my head to take a call, but love gripping it by the edges to use in landscape mode (camera, books, video, games, etc).

It was time for a change, and overall I really enjoy the new design.

minimo3

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I think the original 2G had the best design. The aluminum construction most closely resembles the macs and iPad. It was also extremely durable, mine still looks new (apart from scratches on the chrome rim)

anon(17713)

Banned
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I like the new design. I wish the design didn't harm the functionality of the phone, but I kinda dig it. Don't know if I would've purchased the iPhone 4 if it kept the same design as the 3G and 3GS.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I like the new design. I wish the design didn't harm the functionality of the phone, but I kinda dig it. Don't know if I would've purchased the iPhone 4 if it kept the same design as the 3G and 3GS.

So you're saying Retina screen, better processor, better battery, HD video recording, much better camera & flash, front facing camera & facetime, double the RAM, HSUPA (10x the upload speed), gyro, wireless N, ....

None of that would've mattered?

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I think the original 2G had the best design. The aluminum construction most closely resembles the macs and iPad. It was also extremely durable, mine still looks new (apart from scratches on the chrome rim)
They were (are) durable. I still have one (had 2 until last week but just gave 1 away). But they were slippery to hold by the edges in landscape mode (watching movies, playing games, etc.). I don't know how many times mine slipped out of my hands while I was using it lying in bed. The new model is much easier to grip in that regard. And I'd also say that the original design was also a case of form over function given that the mostly aluminum back hampered its reception (i.e. its ability to function as a phone), just like the pretty aluminum MacBooks always have crap WiFi reception compared to plastic-bodied laptops.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
At least i'm not the only one:

Apple iPhone 4 vs. HTC Evo 4G - CNET Prizefight - CNET.com

All 3 talk about the sharp edges. A couple are concerned with durability.

Form (prettier) over function (sharp edges, "not as pleasant to hold as it once was")

I think that is all much to do about nothing!

The new design is just fine. Sharp edges, that is a real freaking stretch at best.

Some people just hate change, but no one was forced to ugprade to the new design.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I added up all the money i've spent on apps since the 3G. You don't wanna know..lol Not upgrading or returning and switching to android? Nahhh..not a chance.

Moonbase0ne

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Why would they release a phone and keep the same design for the 4th generation? Time to move on, otherwise, why wouldn't people just upgrade the OS of the 3GS?

Last edited:

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Why would they release a phone and keep the same design for the 4th generation? Time to move on, otherwise, why wouldn't people just upgrade the OS os the 3GS?

Because its a good design? You can always tweak it some to improve. Not depart from it.

Retina screen, better processor, better battery, HD video recording, much better camera & flash, front facing camera & facetime, double the RAM, HSUPA (10x the upload speed), gyro, wireless N.

Obviously you include the upgrades :)

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Because its a good design? You can always tweak it some to improve. Not depart from it.

Retina screen, better processor, better battery, HD video recording, much better camera & flash, front facing camera & facetime, double the RAM, HSUPA (10x the upload speed), gyro, wireless N.

They made this phone nearly 25" thinner... They completely remade this phone from the ground up. The design is a world of difference from the 3GS because they wanted to usher in a new era for the iPhone.

Moonbase0ne

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

There are a lot of good designs. But at some point(I would say generation 4 is a good place to start), it's probably time to move forward, design wise.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
There are a lot of good designs. But at some point(I would say generation 4 is a good place to start), it's probably time to move forward, design wise.

No, i say you milk it for what its worth. Apple had no problem selling 3GS's.

Apple could have introduced more colors and people would have been screaming how awesome it was.

A glowing apple logo on back would've had apple fans passing out from excitement.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
When the iPhone 4 design leaked, I wasn't sure I liked it. My wife instantly fell in love and said, "we are switching and we are getting the new iPhone."

My response..."um, okay."

Now that we have them, the design has definitely grown on me and I love my phone. Holding the 3GS still feels a little more comfortable for me, but I can't give up the beautiful display of the i4.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77