The design is awesome! Glad you came around.
    07-01-2010 12:04 AM
    I love the new design IMO, old design wasn't bad but new one is awesome
    07-01-2010 12:06 AM
    The iPhone 4 design really is beautiful, but I just wish they shouldn't had made the screen thinner.
    07-01-2010 05:18 AM
    What I DO wish Apple had done was to incorporate a colored bar on the backside of it, like the first iPhone. I think the back of the first one looks awesome.
    07-01-2010 07:45 AM
    I love the new design. My wife has the 3GS and to me it has always been way too feminine. She even said that the new one looks too manly for her.
    07-01-2010 07:58 AM
    Do you honestly think keeping the old design would have helped with the buzz the new design helped with? Great marketing.
    07-01-2010 08:20 AM
    I will admit that it was a change. Going from the 3G and 3GS design from the past 2 years to this. However I am now loving it. I was surprised at the heft this device had.
    07-01-2010 10:30 AM
    Much better for holding by the edges (e.g. taking pictures/video or otherwise using the device in landscape mode). I always had trouble getting a good grip on the edges of the first 3 iPhones. I got a bumper and have been putting it on and taking it off- I'm not sure which I prefer. The protection to front/back when you set the phone on a flat surface is welcome, as is the extra grip, but then it doesn't fit into docks or older/3rd party charging cables, etc.
    07-01-2010 10:37 AM
    i wish they made the back matte glass instead of clear..
    07-01-2010 11:23 AM
    I think the iphone 4 looks great. But it doesn't feel great with the edges after using it for a bit. And i'm weary of where i lay the phone down with the back being glass. A bumper or case makes this better. Since i need a case to make it comfortable to use, i can't really say that is good design.

I would have much preferred the 3GS design with all the goodies like retina screen & cameras. Much more comfortable to use and no need for a case. I wouldn't have to wait for updated accessories either.

I understand Apple wanted to tweak it some to make it look different. That could've been done with different colors or something. But why a drastic fix to what really wasn't broken?

i actually agree with the OP i cant stand the new iphone 4 design and to me it looks ugly had the mac look alike design perfer the 3gs maybe could of added a little tweak to that just my .02
    07-01-2010 12:32 PM
    Do you honestly think keeping the old design would have helped with the buzz the new design helped with? Great marketing.
    lol i agree.... but instead they put a antenna on the outside thats pissing people off more
    07-01-2010 12:34 PM
    I love the new design. My wife has the 3GS and to me it has always been way too feminine. She even said that the new one looks too manly for her.
    ok i would like to change my post to this i couldnt of said it better myself maybe thats what it is to me i like the soft curvy feminine design of the 3gs and the new one does in fact seem manly
    07-01-2010 12:35 PM
    i4 makes all the earlier iPhone models look like toys.
    07-01-2010 06:44 PM
    Most people replying seem to be focusing on the *looks* of the new phone. Yeah, it *looks* more solid and clean and high-end as compared to the 3GS with its curved plastic back, but I definitely agree with the OP's original comments that it doesn't *feel* nearly as comfortable to hold. And I was taking some photos today and it felt so darn delicate trying to hold it in landscape mode while not covering up the camera lens in any way (and trying to describe to my brother-in-law how to hold it since he was the one who was going to take a picture of us).

I've carried my 3GS naked but I guess I need a bumper case for this, both for comfort-sake and for any possible antenna issues.

Personally, I would have preferred a more 3GS-like back, but with the matte leatherette rubbery composition for added grip.
    07-02-2010 12:10 AM
    At first I was disappointed they had made it thinner and seemingly more fragile.. but after using it for almost a week I have quickly adjusted and actually decided I prefer this style.
    07-02-2010 02:46 AM
    no way i love the new design! i like sleek, i do get what people say but i have no problem being more careful with it! in fact i feel like i dropped my iphone too much before when i had the 3G cuz I wasnt that worried about it. it was covered with cracks and scratches on the back.. this one ive been so much more cautious but im glad i am
    07-02-2010 02:58 AM
    And I was taking some photos today and it felt so darn delicate trying to hold it in landscape mode while not covering up the camera lens in any way (and trying to describe to my brother-in-law how to hold it since he was the one who was going to take a picture of us).
    Really? With the flat sides I think this is the easiest iPhone to hold by the edges yet. I don't see how the form factor is any different from any other compact P & S camera- i.e. they're all basically thin rectangles with flat sides.

I miss the back curve of the 3G/S when I'm holding the phone to my head to take a call, but love gripping it by the edges to use in landscape mode (camera, books, video, games, etc).

It was time for a change, and overall I really enjoy the new design.
    07-02-2010 09:23 AM
    At least i'm not the only one:

Apple iPhone 4 vs. HTC Evo 4G - CNET Prizefight - CNET.com

All 3 talk about the sharp edges. A couple are concerned with durability.

Form (prettier) over function (sharp edges, "not as pleasant to hold as it once was")
    07-15-2010 07:28 AM
    I think the original 2G had the best design. The aluminum construction most closely resembles the macs and iPad. It was also extremely durable, mine still looks new (apart from scratches on the chrome rim)
    07-15-2010 07:56 AM
    I like the new design. I wish the design didn't harm the functionality of the phone, but I kinda dig it. Don't know if I would've purchased the iPhone 4 if it kept the same design as the 3G and 3GS.
    07-15-2010 08:35 AM
    I like the new design. I wish the design didn't harm the functionality of the phone, but I kinda dig it. Don't know if I would've purchased the iPhone 4 if it kept the same design as the 3G and 3GS.
    So you're saying Retina screen, better processor, better battery, HD video recording, much better camera & flash, front facing camera & facetime, double the RAM, HSUPA (10x the upload speed), gyro, wireless N, ....

None of that would've mattered?
    07-15-2010 09:15 AM
    I think the original 2G had the best design. The aluminum construction most closely resembles the macs and iPad. It was also extremely durable, mine still looks new (apart from scratches on the chrome rim)
    They were (are) durable. I still have one (had 2 until last week but just gave 1 away). But they were slippery to hold by the edges in landscape mode (watching movies, playing games, etc.). I don't know how many times mine slipped out of my hands while I was using it lying in bed. The new model is much easier to grip in that regard. And I'd also say that the original design was also a case of form over function given that the mostly aluminum back hampered its reception (i.e. its ability to function as a phone), just like the pretty aluminum MacBooks always have crap WiFi reception compared to plastic-bodied laptops.
    07-15-2010 09:22 AM
    At least i'm not the only one:

Apple iPhone 4 vs. HTC Evo 4G - CNET Prizefight - CNET.com

All 3 talk about the sharp edges. A couple are concerned with durability.

Form (prettier) over function (sharp edges, "not as pleasant to hold as it once was")
    I think that is all much to do about nothing!

The new design is just fine. Sharp edges, that is a real freaking stretch at best.

Some people just hate change, but no one was forced to ugprade to the new design.
    07-15-2010 10:52 AM
    I kind of agree the look of the 3gs was better
    07-15-2010 11:14 AM
    I added up all the money i've spent on apps since the 3G. You don't wanna know..lol Not upgrading or returning and switching to android? Nahhh..not a chance.
    07-15-2010 11:49 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD