wish apple had kept the 3GS design

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't like the round back from the flat back on the 2G and I think this phone looks incredible! I'm careful with it because I think it's so nice looking and I want to keep it that way. I just have to disagree- it's really a sharp looking device! I love it!

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I can see what you are aaying after going from the 3GS design to the iPhone 4 it doesn't feel great at first. I still can't take home an Iphone 4 but I have used it many times and at first I didn't like the feel but then I got used to it. May not be good without a case but you should have a case anyways(or a bumper).

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have to say I enjoyed my iPhone 3GS, but the iPhone 4 is a master piece. I have no issues holding it comfortably in my hand. I honestly thought that maybe an issue, but I've been very surprised that it feels great and I am able to use the phone without issue.

I like the way it sits flat on a desk. I think it even looks good with the bumper or some of the really clean looking cases.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
This one looks decent.. but its a lot harder for me to hold than the 3GS was. Because it is thinner I find it a big pain for me in portrait since I've got big hands.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Been using without a case for a few days since i fixed the tomtom carkit to work. (apply velcro or foam at the bottom of kit..easy).

It's growing on me.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
What I DO wish Apple had done was to incorporate a colored bar on the backside of it, like the first iPhone. I think the back of the first one looks awesome.

omgabunny

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you honestly think keeping the old design would have helped with the buzz the new design helped with? Great marketing.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I will admit that it was a change. Going from the 3G and 3GS design from the past 2 years to this. However I am now loving it. I was surprised at the heft this device had.

Dyvim

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Much better for holding by the edges (e.g. taking pictures/video or otherwise using the device in landscape mode). I always had trouble getting a good grip on the edges of the first 3 iPhones. I got a bumper and have been putting it on and taking it off- I'm not sure which I prefer. The protection to front/back when you set the phone on a flat surface is welcome, as is the extra grip, but then it doesn't fit into docks or older/3rd party charging cables, etc.

moody6635

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I think the iphone 4 looks great. But it doesn't feel great with the edges after using it for a bit. And i'm weary of where i lay the phone down with the back being glass. A bumper or case makes this better. Since i need a case to make it comfortable to use, i can't really say that is good design.

I would have much preferred the 3GS design with all the goodies like retina screen & cameras. Much more comfortable to use and no need for a case. I wouldn't have to wait for updated accessories either.

I understand Apple wanted to tweak it some to make it look different. That could've been done with different colors or something. But why a drastic fix to what really wasn't broken?

i actually agree with the OP i cant stand the new iphone 4 design and to me it looks ugly had the mac look alike design perfer the 3gs maybe could of added a little tweak to that just my .02

moody6635

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I love the new design. My wife has the 3GS and to me it has always been way too feminine. She even said that the new one looks too manly for her.

ok i would like to change my post to this i couldnt of said it better myself maybe thats what it is to me i like the soft curvy feminine design of the 3gs and the new one does in fact seem manly

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
Most people replying seem to be focusing on the *looks* of the new phone. Yeah, it *looks* more solid and clean and high-end as compared to the 3GS with its curved plastic back, but I definitely agree with the OP's original comments that it doesn't *feel* nearly as comfortable to hold. And I was taking some photos today and it felt so darn delicate trying to hold it in landscape mode while not covering up the camera lens in any way (and trying to describe to my brother-in-law how to hold it since he was the one who was going to take a picture of us).

I've carried my 3GS naked but I guess I need a bumper case for this, both for comfort-sake and for any possible antenna issues.

Personally, I would have preferred a more 3GS-like back, but with the matte leatherette rubbery composition for added grip.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
At first I was disappointed they had made it thinner and seemingly more fragile.. but after using it for almost a week I have quickly adjusted and actually decided I prefer this style.