Looking to purchase an iPhone and switch my service over to ATT. Itll be my first iOS experience so I want to get it right. Now, apple has been known to drop the prices shortly after the release and also fix up known issues with first gen of their devices. I am content with my current phone so waiting a month or two is not going to kill me. Would it be wise to just hold off until some of the kinks are worked out or just go for it?

Thanks guys!
    06-27-2010 03:21 PM
    I've always been an early adopter myself and sometimes you go through some issues, but generally Apple fixes problems within a short period of time. Some have reported there may be an update coming this week to address many of the issues being reported.

I understand folks wanting to wait and many do that. They will wait 2 or 3 months and there is nothing wrong with doing that. I don't see the prices dropping on the iPhone, usually whatever pricing they come up with and announce is where it stays until the next time.

Not much help but me I went for it!
    06-27-2010 04:12 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I hope that apple does toss some fixes out there but the antenna thing could be a hardware issue and thats what I worry about. The other thing I am battling here is whether or not I should get the Evo. I have never had an android nor iOS device so I think that iOS looks a bit cooler to try as a first timer to either.
    06-27-2010 04:21 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I hope that apple does toss some fixes out there but the antenna thing could be a hardware issue and thats what I worry about. The other thing I am battling here is whether or not I should get the Evo. I have never had an android nor iOS device so I think that iOS looks a bit cooler to try as a first timer to either.
    Actually I strongly considered jumping ship to the Droid Incredible myself. I actually did some side by side comparison between the Incredible and my iPhone 3GS. I was surprise at how well my iPhone 3GS compared to it in terms of speed, loudness of the speaker, but what ultimately got me was the quality of Apps you can get on and iPhone vs Droid right now. The gap is closing, but Android Marketplace has a ways to go.

The other thing I considered first and foremost was coverage and honestly AT&T won that battle in my particular area, so it just made sense to go with the iPhone 4.

I think the update will address the antenna issue, but I still think it will be necessary to have a case for optimum reception due to the hardware design. Most of us use cases anyway, so is that really a big deal? You have a device that is glass on front and back and you aren't going to protect it? I think common sense dictates that you should.
    06-27-2010 04:26 PM
    I'm an early adopter and honestly, with Apple,
    it's never an issue. The first time with the
    price drops was due to the unsubsidized pricing
    that Apple felt was too high. Now with the
    discounted prices, it only gets lowered when
    the new device gets released.

The antenna issue is a non-issue for me and
    for my 3Gs that has had the issue after installing
    iOS4, it has led me to believe that it's software
    for me. Also, it usually has no bars of service
    on my 3Gs, but never lose/drop the call or does
    the quality suffer. They come in loud and clear.
    06-27-2010 04:31 PM
    Thanks guys for the responses.

I think what got me excited and pushed me over the edge was the fact they are releasing NetFlix. But it worries me that they capped the data limits and now they are releasing that. It seems like they foreseen this coming and want to squeeze out some extra cash. Atleast there is no real penalty for data overages.
    06-27-2010 05:44 PM
    I'm waiting it out - partially because I don't get the full discount right now. I early adopted with the 3Gs, but that was pretty similar to the 3G so there wasn't much of a risk there. @danno1769 - I agree about the whole data limiting thing and the timing of the netflix rollout. It seems kinda fishy...
    06-27-2010 07:52 PM
    I made the jump from the droid to my first iPhone 4. I am not usually an earlier adopted but I made the jump anyway. So far I have no complaints. I have not experienced the drop in calls or service like others do. My coverage has been as good as verizon. So I say go for it.
    06-27-2010 09:08 PM
    I upgraded from a 3G to a 4 and I couldn't be happier.

On a side note.........today I experienced a malfunction in the proximity sensor. I kept putting calls on speaker phone with my face. But instead of running straight to the forum and crying about it or going an Apple store for an exchange, I decided to search around to see if anybody else was having the same problem. And if so, was there a solution. Lucky for me, there was a simple solution and all is fine.
    06-27-2010 09:14 PM
    I upgraded from a 3G to a 4 and I couldn't be happier.

On a side note.........today I experienced a malfunction in the proximity sensor. I kept putting calls on speaker phone with my face. But instead of running straight to the forum and crying about it or going an Apple store for an exchange, I decided to search around to see if anybody else was having the same problem. And if so, was there a solution. Lucky for me, there was a simple solution and all is fine.
    Why don't you share your solution with us, so in case it happens we will all know what to do?
    06-27-2010 10:25 PM
    I definitely say get it now... if you can find a store that has one in stock.
    06-28-2010 01:09 AM
    I think I'll wait two or three months until I get an iPhone 4. Probably I can only wait for a few weeks since I am really impatient and I am longing to check it out, always want to test new gadgets and devices. But what I've heard and read so far, it's worth waiting ...
    06-28-2010 08:03 AM
    Why don't you share your solution with us, so in case it happens we will all know what to do?
    Oh, sorry about that. I was a little distracted.....the wife...blah blah blah....something about mowing the lawn today.....

I went to Settings, General, Reset and tapped Reset All Settings. Evidently this re-calibrates the proximity sensor.
    06-28-2010 08:14 AM
    I'm waiting patiently with my iPhone 2G until the AT&T contract ends this summer'ish. Once it does, I'm crossing my fingers for the T-Mobile iPhone 4 that should be out late Q4(2010) early Q1(2011).

I don't really want to buy another AT&T iPhone, jailbreak it, unlock it, and not even have 3G. The iPhone 4 is making it tempting, but not the crazy $1,000 they're going for on eBay tempting.
    06-28-2010 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD