I upgraded from the 3GS 32GB to the iPhone 4 32GB. Because I was not eligible to upgrade until 2011, I had to pay the higher $499 upgrade charge. Part of my logic in upgrading was to sell my 3GS and apply those proceeds to the cost of the iPhone 4.

My decision to upgrade was based on the new design, better display, rumor of better reception, and longer battery life. Since receiving the phone on Thursday, I have felt somewhat let down; I probably bit to hard into the Apple Hype machine. The design is fantastic and the screen is excellent, but the call reception is WORSE than my 3GS (yes, I now hold it differently, thanks Steve!). Battery life is also so-so or not noticeably different than the 3GS.

I guess I am just feeling some buyers remorse as I am not sure if the iPhone 4 was worth the higher premium I had to pay to get it. I am wondering if it may be best to return the iPhone 4 and stay with the 3GS until next year. Hopefully they will have 4G and some of these reception issues will be ironed out.

Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice would be much appreciated!
    06-27-2010 03:00 PM
    Well, I would wait just a little longer. Some of the reports say that apple is releasing a firmware update to fix the reception issue as they say it is software related. I would see if the update fixes it or not and then go from there.
    06-27-2010 03:17 PM
    @ viper:

That's what I plan on doing. Good thing I haven't sold my 3GS yet.
    06-27-2010 03:29 PM
    Really? When I look at the screen on my 3GS now, all I see are big dots which are trying to form an image I can barely make out. Good luck!
    06-27-2010 03:32 PM
    Don't be so reactive to something like this. Keep a backup phone and wait for Apple to roll out some updates. With this many people experiencing issues, Apple will make it right. And disregard all these fake Steve emails. I'm not saying the guy is a saint or anything, but he does go the extra mile to protect his brand. Be patient.
    06-27-2010 03:34 PM
    I have the signal issue, but it hasn't really affected any of the things I do on it. Hopefully the update fixes the issue. I don't plan on returning it either way, I love this thing and the screen is amazing.

Joe I feel the same way, when I look at my 3GS the screen just looks pixelated now.
    06-27-2010 03:36 PM
    I have already sold my 3GS, so I guess I'm stuck with the iP4, but the battery life for me has been much better than the 3GS so I don't mind spending the extra money for the extra battery life and high res screen. I haven't had one problem with the reception on the iP4, guess I'm one of the lucky ones.
    06-27-2010 03:36 PM
    If you put a case on the iPhone 4, the "bars" problem goes away. Stop reading Engadget articles and enjoy your phone...
    06-27-2010 03:44 PM
    Yeah it would be terribly hard to go back to the 3GS display after having used the iPhone 4. In regards to the battery, I've been shocked at how much better it is for me. I find it strange that some folks say it isn't any better. Then again I am only running apps that have been iOS4 tested and support the API's with fast switching and not using resources when they are in the background with the exception of music apps playing music in the background.

I like the feel of the iPhone 4 and don't even get me started on the difference in the camera!

I did invest in a case this weekend and my reception issues are gone as far as I can tell. I also think Apple will address this pretty quickly in an update.
    06-27-2010 03:46 PM
    Those who upgraded from the 3GS; is it worth $500 to upgrade though?
    06-27-2010 03:51 PM
    No problems here. Phone works great, no signal problems. Do what makes you happy and who cares what people on a forum think!
    06-27-2010 03:54 PM
    @jexner325

I think it is definitely worth it. I would never buy something I couldn't afford though, and if you're losing sleep over it, just return it.
    06-27-2010 04:00 PM
    Really? When I look at the screen on my 3GS now, all I see are big dots which are trying to form an image I can barely make out. Good luck!
    I wouldn't go that far; it is a fantastic screen no doubt, but the 3GS screen is just "big dots trying to form an image"? Please...
    Those who upgraded from the 3GS; is it worth $500 to upgrade though?
    In my opinion YES, if you sell your 3GS to recoup some of your cost. However, in my case I ended up giving mine to my son, so I didn't get to recoup any cost, though I only paid $299 for mine.

So, sell that 3GS and it will end up being just like you did a lower cost upgrade. You may even come out cheaper depending on what you get for the 3GS.

However, like someone else said, if this is just bugging you so much then return it. Life is way to short to have buyers remorse.
    @jexner325

I think it is definitely worth it. I would never buy something I couldn't afford though, and if you're losing sleep over it, just return it.
    Agreed. I just feel as though I might have overpaid when I really should have been patient and waited. That's all.
    06-27-2010 04:01 PM
    In my opinion YES, if you sell your 3GS to recoup some of your cost. However, in my case I ended up giving mine to my son, so I didn't get to recoup any cost, though I only paid $299 for mine.

So, sell that 3GS and it will end up being just like you did a lower cost upgrade. You may even come out cheaper depending on what you get for the 3GS.

However, like someone else said, if this is just bugging you so much then return it. Life is way to short to have buyers remorse.
    Thanks. That may end up being the game plan and was the hope.
    06-27-2010 04:03 PM
    I have only one gripe that might cause me to return my iPhone 4 to the Apple Store - At work I can only get 2-3 bars & Edge in the Command Center. I never had this problem with the 3GS.

While it's not an issue for data speed, it causes obnoxious interference with my desk phone. Sadly, they will not allow me to get rid of the desk phone.

If it's not somehow magically fixed via software update, I'm returning it and getting a Verizon Palm Pixi. Then I'll be able to use it's hotspot feature to power my iPad, 3GS, etc. Most of the time I just use email, web, and Pandora anyhow.

-n8
    06-27-2010 07:01 PM
    Damn.. that made me notice it on my 3GS to.. NOOOO!
    06-27-2010 07:13 PM
    Damn.. that made me notice it on my 3GS to.. NOOOO!
    You know, at first glance, I didn't really see much of a difference. I held an iPhone 4 next to my 3GS at the Apple store yesterday. Home screens seemed the same, New York Times, the same. Then I did some surfing and iBook comparisons, and yes, the 4 really is much crisper. But not enough to make me jump ahead and get a black one now. It didn't make me feel OMG I have to have this thing NOW!! I'm very happy with my 3GS running on the new software. Other than the fact that I am a naturally impatient person and hate waiting for anything, I'll stick it out until I can check out the white phone.
    06-27-2010 08:31 PM
    I upgraded mine for $299 (32GB).
    Was gonna give my 3GS to wife to replace her 3G.
    But since I sold (eBay) both the 3G and 3GS for $550 , it pretty much paid for both our iPhone 4s and we both love it.
    No signal issues knock on wood.
    06-27-2010 09:29 PM
    I would agree with some of the previous posts. You spent $500 on a new gadget, you should be damn happy with something for that price. I realize that you can sell the 3GS and help recoup some of the costs, but regardless you added more time on to your contract as well as the new $350 ETF. When I paid that much for the Nexus One, I returned it because I should not have to convince myself to like something that I spent $500+ for. I love the iPhone 4 personally, I use a case as well so the reception problem is MIA. I would say to take advantage of the 30 days you have to make up your mind. From there if you are still on the fence then I would return it.
    06-27-2010 09:57 PM
    Just out of curiosity and I don't know if any of you know the answer to this. But say you do return you phone and did the new 2 year contact. Does AT&T roll you back to your old contract or you just did a 2 year contact and got nothing to show for it?
    06-27-2010 10:21 PM
    You would roll back to your previous contract status.
    06-27-2010 10:57 PM
    You would roll back to your previous contract status.
    So apple would notify AT&T that you returned the phone or would you have to handle that to make sure the rolled you back?
    06-27-2010 11:13 PM
    I believe Apple would contact AT&T but I would call AT&T as well to be safe.
    06-27-2010 11:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD