Hey guys,

maybe its just me or because I was one to come over from a blackberry which amazing email push services but it seems that the iphone email push service lags or doesn't push emails at all. Is it only me? Why does the email only get pushed through when I physically enter into the mail app? I never have mail waiting for me in my mail app on my phone when I actually have new received mail in my inbox. It is only when I open the app and it updates, that I receive new mail.

Is this how it normally works or is my push service lagging behind alittle? Someone help me out thanks.

Peter
    06-26-2010 06:13 PM
    First of all what service are you using to push the email to your iPhone? Google Sync? Mobile Me? or another service?
    06-26-2010 06:15 PM
    I have no idea, i'm an iphone newb and i just added my email and whatever is standard on this iphone is whats pushing my emails.
    06-26-2010 07:07 PM
    You don't know what service you are using? Google, AOL, Mobile Me, your local internet provider?

No all services push email, so again you need to know what service you are using and then someone can tell you if it can do push or not.

Push eats up a lot of battery.
    06-26-2010 07:09 PM
    ok, I had originally set up my email using gmail, but now I set it up using microsoft exchange and it seems to work better now. It seems when I get emailed it automatically pushes it now to my phone, which is what I originally wanted. Gmail would wait for me to open my mail app in order to push the new mail to my phone but thats not what I wanted.

How bad does it get with the battery if im getting emails pushed to my phone?
    06-26-2010 07:15 PM
    ok, I had originally set up my email using gmail, but now I set it up using microsoft exchange and it seems to work better now. It seems when I get emailed it automatically pushes it now to my phone, which is what I originally wanted. Gmail would wait for me to open my mail app in order to push the new mail to my phone but thats not what I wanted.

How bad does it get with the battery if im getting emails pushed to my phone?
    My experience and I get a lot of email was that it just about cut my battery life in half. So, now I just use the fetch feature which checks it one time an hour. I am not so important that I need instant emails the moment they are sent.

I use Google Exchange, but only to sync my contacts. I use Gmail IMAP for my email because it is faster, it also syncs my calendar and notes.

I have pushed turned off. My suggestion is try it both ways. I think you'll find I am right that your battery life will take a big hit. Again it also depends how how much email you get. If you just get a few emails a day it maybe okay.
    06-26-2010 07:20 PM
    Thanks OTA for your help. Yeah im going to keep it on push to see how bad it gets on battery but I don't get many emails anyways so im sure it wont be that bad...i just need to know when I do get mail cause thats usually when its important. So thanks for all the help.
    06-26-2010 07:22 PM
    I use push for email and its not to bad.
    06-26-2010 07:30 PM
    Thanks OTA for your help. Yeah im going to keep it on push to see how bad it gets on battery but I don't get many emails anyways so im sure it wont be that bad...i just need to know when I do get mail cause thats usually when its important. So thanks for all the help.
    You are welcome! You may be okay with the push since you don't get a lot of email. I get so much that it was constantly being pushed and therefore eating my battery up pretty good.
    06-26-2010 10:18 PM
    Unless your getting tons of emails all the time push is better for your battery. It will only send you email when you have it instead of checking all the time even if you don't have any waiting.
    06-26-2010 11:10 PM
    Like pkang, I just changed from a blackberry where my emails were received very fast. I use my 4s for my business and must receive emails fast in order to capture business. I have push turned on but still don't receive emails very fast. I've already missed 4-5 pieces of business in the 3 days I've used the 4s. Any recommendations? Thanks!
    11-01-2011 12:54 PM
    To my beliefs only certain providers support push for iphone. Blackberry used the nok to work the push email which being an x blackberry user myself will say its second to none.
    11-01-2011 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD