iPhone4 Battery Life: Post A Usage Screenshot

ywirasin

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving my battery life on the 4G. But I wonder how long its going to be before this battery dies off... it's like a realtionship, it's great in the beginning. :)

Archetype

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi, big9erfan.

Thanks for your input.

The day I did this test was my day off, and I was at home where I get five bars (at least, according to the display). What's more, I was using my home wireless network for data. Do you think that that could be the problem? I've heard some WiFi routers can halve battery life for certain devices. I've never had this issue with my Palm Pre or iPod Touch, though.

What really concerns me is the rate at which the battery drops when the phone is awake coupled with how warm it gets in such a short amount of time. The battery drops at an almost uniformly steady pace of 1% every 2-3 minutes regardless of what I am doing on the phone. The phone itself warms up noticeably within that amount of time as well, again, regardless of the intensiveness of the task. It's as if the processor (or something else on the logic board) is on overdrive during every minute of use. Something is definitely amiss, and it irks me that I can't figure out what it is.

I'm going to give it a go and restore the phone right now. Who knows, maybe it will solve my problems. Anything for more than 2 hours of use out of an otherwise awesome phone. (-:

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
for the people that are getting 1 day of standby and like 6-8 hours of usage, do you by any chance have push email enabled or no..?

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
push is on but set to manally brightness 45% notifications on my phone is mostly on silent though topped ou t a 9h of use

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I have push in and get a lot of push notifications. My brightness is really low though, and most often vibrate is on as I'm at work a d don't want the ringer on.

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I average these numbers daily, I'll post a screen later of usage for my typical day, but it seems my numbers break down like this....

Usage: 8hrs 22min
Standby: 23hrs 24min
Battery @ 15%

Thats what I have been doing every day since 6/23 when I've had the phone. Those are good numbers in my opinion. Thats with, Location On, Wifi off, Safari, LOTS of texting, SIRIUS/XM streaming for a few hours, lots of email, 1 hr of calls....thats good numbers!

How do you get that much? I've only had mine for a little over 24hrs so I'm not sure how my average is, but in that 24 hours - it had gone from 100% to 20%.
I have wifi on, push emails (not really that many today), a bit of texting, Safari for a minute, a few phone calls, and maybe a little gaming. What's your secret? Maybe I'll get better numbers as I have it for a while?

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
for the people that are getting 1 day of standby and like 6-8 hours of usage, do you by any chance have push email enabled or no..?
I have 3G, WiFi and Location services on at
all times. My brightness is actually a little
above default. I also have push email and
notifications going. I get a lot of emails
throughout the day. I never got battery
life like this ever.

frozinwater

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I have 3G, WiFi and Location services on at
all times. My brightness is actually a little
above default. I also have push email and
notifications going. I get a lot of emails
throughout the day. I never got battery
life like this ever.

Are you guys using 3G all day..? or Edge?

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys using 3G all day..? or Edge?

I have great battery life too. I mainly use Wifi when I am at the office or home. But when on the road I use 3G. I am using the heck out of my phone probably 8 hours of use with 14 to 18 hours of standby time and still having a tad bit under 50% of battery life. I've actually been very amazed at how good the battery life is. I don't use push email, in my opinion push email is a battery eater, there are those that say it only uses battery when pushing, I don't buy that, because I've tested it with push vs fetch. I have mine set to fetch every 30 minutes. I don't need instant notification of email I am not that important.

I do have several push notifications setup for Facebook, IM+, CNN, SportsTap, etc.

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I have great battery life too. I mainly use Wifi when I am at the office or home. But when on the road I use 3G. I am using the heck out of my phone probably 8 hours of use with 14 to 18 hours of standby time and still having a tad bit under 50% of battery life. I've actually been very amazed at how good the battery life is. I don't use push email, in my opinion push email is a battery eater, there are those that say it only uses battery when pushing, I don't buy that, because I've tested it with push vs fetch. I have mine set to fetch every 30 minutes. I don't need instant notification of email I am not that important.

I do have several push notifications setup for Facebook, IM+, CNN, SportsTap, etc.

Ahhhh I'm so jealous. So today, I turned off ALL my push, fetch, and notifications. I played maybe 30 minutes of a game and currently have 74% left. I was going to start playing with push vs. fetch tomorrow, but I'll try setting it up how you have it and see how mine goes. I'm like you, I don't need my email all the time. The only push notification I have/want set up is for one news channel. And, I use Wifi at home and 3G when out.

Hmmmm...I guess I'll see what happens!

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site

Not sure why fetch is doing better, but push
does use less battery life than fetch. If you
think about it, if you don't receive email, it
is still polling the server for email on fetch.
With push, if you don't get email, it won't
push any email.

I've done the push vs. fetch on different
platforms as well and it's always the same
for me in where push yields better battery
life than pull (aka fetch) email.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why fetch is doing better, but push
does use less battery life than fetch. If you
think about it, if you don't receive email, it
is still polling the server for email on fetch.
With push, if you don't get email, it won't
push any email.

I've done the push vs. fetch on different
platforms as well and it's always the same
for me in where push yields better battery
life than pull (aka fetch) email.

You know I've heard that, but my actual experience just doesn't bare that out in terms of the hit to the battery life. In fact so many of us at the office have iPhones we've all been sort of experimenting. In our morning meeting this morning we all pretty much drew the same conclusion that push is worse on battery than fetch. I understand what you are saying and that logically in theory you should be correct.

I guess that are factors to consider like how much email one gets etc. I wouldn't say I get a ton of email, but I get probably 50 or more a day. Using fetch reduces my battery substantially over push.

The other thing is that we (in work place) use Google Apps with our domain with their Exchange Server setup and perhaps their push setup is the issue. I do know at one time I had done a MobileMe account in a trial and I found it used less battery during push than the Google Sync did.

Also one thing that Apple always tells end users is turn off push email that will improve your battery life. They aren't just saying that because it isn't true. Also remember you can go every hour on mail and in some cases many folks only want to fetch when it is convenient to do so rather than automatically fetch. No way push is going to beat that.

Last edited:

wireless_peon

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
lots of SMS, 6 phone calls average 5 minutes each. half the time on wifi, half on 3g, solid amount of web surfing, twitter and facebook, gmail pull every half hour. couldnt be happier!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods