iPhone4 Battery Life: Post A Usage Screenshot

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I have answers!!

Short version - don't keep your iPhone on the charger all the time. Don't power cycle. Let it run down to 30ish% and then bring it up to 100% - and take it right back off the charger if you can.

The screenshots look better over time, cause they are averaging out. (Who knew!)

Listen to the answers to all the questions, and here what happened when a battery walked into a bar....

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
My first cousin married intelligently! (Her brother, my other first cousin, is also an engineer.)

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
death grip?

7dd3984e.jpg

Couldn't be happier, 8 hours of use??!! I'd be lucky to get 4-5 on my 3G if I baby it. That's 8 hours of Internet, games, videos, etc. 

are you holding it in your left hand?? thats a no no lol

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Right now I'm at 56% battery left.

Usage- 3 hours, 28 minutes
Standby 16 hours, 20 minutes

I need to learn how to post pictures :)

I use photobucket. There is also an app for it on the
iPhone to upload it. You can either post from your
iPhone as it provides a link or find it on the website
to post from the PC.

To take a screenshot, Quickly press and release the
sleep and home key. The snapshot then goes in to
your photo roll in the photos app.

YouTube - How to take a screenshot on iPhone/iPod Touch w/o extra software

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting around 5 hours usage when running down to 20% with notifications, bluetooth, location services, push and fetch all off. Screen brightness is at about 80%.

Archetype

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi, everyone. First post here and my first iPhone. I migrated from PreCentral.

I have a screenshot at twitgoo.com/178efo.

Has anyone been experiencing less than stellar battery life? Mine seems to have comparable standby time, but when I use my iPhone, I see the battery life plummet. Some stats for the last full charge:

3G and WiFi are on with email being fetched every hour.
Bluetooth, location services, and push notifications are all off.
I have brightness set to about 33%.
One missed call (unrecognized number) and no texts. Light to medium web browsing, reading news, playing Crosswords, checking Facebook and emails, listening to a couple of songs. I updated one app via the App Store and also organized a good number of them into folders on the device.

Again, mine seems to have normal standby time, but as soon as my iPhone is used, battery life plummets. I estimate losing about 1% every 2 to 3 minutes regardless of use. Interestingly enough, it almost seems like my phone discharges the battery at nearly the same rate as it charges. It takes me 2.5 hours to charge through the wall, and it takes about the same time to run the battery down while being used.

Mine also always gets warm on the SIM card side (where the processor is) within minutes of use. Whether it be playing games, checking email, or listening to a song with the screen off, the phone will go from cool to warm in a matter of minutes. Further use will result in the phone getting toasty, but never as hot as while I charge it. I?ve never experienced the temperature warning when using the phone, but I?ve seen it twice while charging.

Any ideas on what is going on with my phone? Is it within the norm, or should I be taking it in for a little Apple inspection? Thanks for any assistance in advance.

I'm still in love with the phone, but I'm not a fan of the battery -- at least in mine. :)

RyzeHD

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Interestingly enough, it almost seems like my phone discharges the battery at nearly the same rate as it charges. It takes me 2.5 hours to charge through the wall, and it takes about the same time to run the battery down while being used.

Sure reminds me of my 3GS, which also charged as fast as it drained. I would just sit there and watch it as it dropped 1% every 2-3 minutes w/ out even touching it. I was pretty confident that there was something defective w/ my battery, because my previous phone before the 3GS (8gb iPhone 3G), the battery did not drain as fast.

I even took my 3GS to the Genius Bar and they gave me the runaround, telling me that my push notifications and my 3 minute Auto-lock was causing the poor battery performance, only to come home realizing that changing the settings (push notifications off + 1 minute Auto-lock) didn't really help.

People have suggested that a full restore could end your battery woes, so back-up your phone and try that. If that doesn't work, then take it to the Apple store.

Archetype

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Jellotime91,

As far as I know, I am not doing anything that would cause this sort of battery drain -- that's what puzzles me. It has been like this since I received it on launch day. I've tried adjusting all sorts of settings, but I still haven't been able to get more than 3 hours of usage. I'm quite jealous of everyone else's battery life. (-:

RyzeHD,

I'll definitely try restoring the phone tonight after work. Hopefully, it isn't a hardware problem. Your 3GS battery issue sounds exactly like that of my iPhone 4, though.

Any ideas on why my iPhone gets warm so quickly? Is that normal? It seems like the processor goes full speed as soon as I wake up the phone. Could some rogue process be taxing the processor?

viper3885

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I had to replace my first iphone 4 due to a yellow spot on the screen. Now my second one seems to be having issues with holding a charge. I took it off charge the other morning to go to work, and by 1 o'clock it was at 60% with 1 hour and 15-20 minutes of use and 6 hours of standby. Whereas with my first one I could get around 3 and a half hours of use and around 12 hours of standby at 50%. One strange thing I noticed is that the replacement unit's battery was dead out of the box. I thought that was a little weird seeing as every other ipod, ipod touch, and iphone I've bought all had at least a half battery out of the box. Oh well off to the genius bar I go, hopefully third time's the charm.

Edit: I also noticed that this morning it lost over 10% while in standby over a period of a little less than 8 hours, which would be only 80 hours of standby on a full charge. I also restored the phone last night to no avail.

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
My usage today is pretty low, but still, having this much battery left after 7.5 hours off the charger is amazing. With my Incredible, I would be down to 60% by now.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not on an iPhone 4 :( but since you guys have the better battery beat this I'm on my 3rd day without charging on my 3G at 35% :D it's about the only thing that keeps me from moping around until I get my iPhone 4 LOL

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Jellotime91,

As far as I know, I am not doing anything that would cause this sort of battery drain -- that's what puzzles me. It has been like this since I received it on launch day. I've tried adjusting all sorts of settings, but I still haven't been able to get more than 3 hours of usage. I'm quite jealous of everyone else's battery life. (-:

RyzeHD,

I'll definitely try restoring the phone tonight after work. Hopefully, it isn't a hardware problem. Your 3GS battery issue sounds exactly like that of my iPhone 4, though.

Any ideas on why my iPhone gets warm so quickly? Is that normal? It seems like the processor goes full speed as soon as I wake up the phone. Could some rogue process be taxing the processor?

Are you in a spotty coverage area? That definitely eats battery.

Try to restore as a new phone, restoring from old can bring up odd issues sometimes.

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I average these numbers daily, I'll post a screen later of usage for my typical day, but it seems my numbers break down like this....

Usage: 8hrs 22min
Standby: 23hrs 24min
Battery @ 15%

Thats what I have been doing every day since 6/23 when I've had the phone. Those are good numbers in my opinion. Thats with, Location On, Wifi off, Safari, LOTS of texting, SIRIUS/XM streaming for a few hours, lots of email, 1 hr of calls....thats good numbers!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2