iPhone4 Battery Life: Post A Usage Screenshot

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
They actually do effect battery, just very minimal.

Apps that are allowed to run in the background do
effect battery. Streaming apps (like Pandora), GPS
apps (like TomTom) and VoIP apps (Skype when
updated).

Other apps that effect battery are the ones that
run in the background that come on the device
like the Mail app, Safari, etc..

airjan23

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
They actually do effect battery, just very minimal.

Apps that are allowed to run in the background do
effect battery. Streaming apps (like Pandora), GPS
apps (like TomTom) and VoIP apps (Skype when
updated).

Other apps that effect battery are the ones that
run in the background that come on the device
like the Mail app, Safari, etc..

So based on what I wrote, should I be blowing through battery life as I am? Any recommendations? Should I close all the apps after using them to conserve life? How does one even get 38 hours of standby?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
So based on what I wrote, should I be blowing through battery life as I am? Any recommendations? Should I close all the apps after using them to conserve life? How does one even get 38 hours of standby?

Restore like new. Definitely can improve the
battery life. It has for me.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently at 5 hr usage and 1 day stand by, and hovering around 49%. I'll post a screenshot when the battery dips into the red.

RIPNHL2005

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
I got roughly 36 hours on 1st full charge and playing around with it, then I let battery completely drain then charged it up to 100%. Ran for another 36 hours, then charged it from 50% to 100% yesterday, but then overnight it went from 80% to 35% with wifi off, so I don't know what the heck happened to kill the battery overnight when it was not being used and no music playing or anything.

Hope this doesn't happen often or I'm not going to be happy!!!!

LScerbo

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The brightness seems to have a lot to do with wearing the battery down. I noticed that on my 3G. I don't have any battery issues with my new 4. I actually cannot believe how long it lasts!

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Here is mine! I have been very happy with my battery life. I have not changed my screen brightness from the default. I run no push email, though I do use several push notifications, I don't get a lot of them in the course of the day.

photo.png

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
whoa! That is great im just getting over 7.5 hours of use and I've been on edge with a dim screen. Oh and you guys do see that i still have my custom carrier on my i4 right? Dont know how but its there. "Ash&T" my girls name and my first letter =)

48578852.jpg

BenGillam

Dec 30, 2008
Visit site
Im going to let my battery run dry tonight then try a proper full charge and drain cycle again, seems a lot better in use but sometimes seems like its dropping faster, maybe im paranoid compared to my old 3g.

With regards to multitasking and apps using up resources, if you have an old app(ie not updated for save state/backgrounding) but its in the quick switch list is that definitely not running? when i tried multitasking on my jailbroken 3g 4.0 then looked in sbsettings process manager the apps all appears to be in some kind of running state still, maybe that was because it was running on the 3g (hacked on)

Ive made a habbit of shuting down what i can from the switcher list just in case.

Anyhoo after next charge cycle will do full day and get some stats, but my general setup is...

2x Push email (mobileme & exchange) 3x fetch imap (30 mins) Wifi normally off, 3g on (going to try a couple of days, one with it on one with it off) normally an hour or so of ipod use and some moderate gaming in the evemings, occasional foursquare checkins.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you turn 3G off you should get a little better battery especially if you have Wifi which is faster anyway. I don't have a data plan never have, so every iPhone I've had has been JB with 3G off and I've always had better battery than my friends on Vanilla phones. Why not use the full capability of the phone and just plugin and charge whenever you're sitting during the day?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
When I get mine I plan to use my 1st gen as my alarm clock and shut off the phone overnight I've always wanted to see if that would improve the battery life and the stability of the OS.

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am glad to hear that battery life is better than on the 3GS. I am looking to switch from my Bold 9000 and I don't want to have to sacrifice battery life if I don't have to.

tkao2025

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I also find that with a new phone you have to run it for a couple weeks before the battery life gets better. That's just from my personal experience.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I am glad to hear that battery life is better than on the 3GS. I am looking to switch from my Bold 9000 and I don't want to have to sacrifice battery life if I don't have to.

Compared to the BlackBerry, you WILL sacrifice battery life... the question becomes one of "how will that sacrifice impact your usage?". I could go 2 days plus on both my 9000 and 9700 with full push and location based services active... not possible on the iPhone4 - at least in my experience. But I have managed to get the battery drain under control in a way that I can live with... and still enjoy the beauty of this retina display.

I am here to tell you that there IS life after BlackBerry. :)

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
This was my battery last night. Worked it down to 20% then hated seeing the red and charged it lol.

I should clarify my settings:
- screen is dimmed with the control sitting right under the "B" in the "Brightness" title of the screen, and "Auto-Brightness" enabled.
- Wifi, Bluetooth and 3G always on
- 2 IMAP email accounts ( 30 min )
- 1 Contact & Calendar Exchange account

Last edited:

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I cant post a screen at the moment, but I've had the iPhone 4 since June 22, and my avergae use so far per day is much like this:

8 hrs 30 min usage
23 hrs standby

In those 8 hrs, I'm backgrounding Pandora and Pockettunes, emailing, texting(alot), safari(alot), and using other apps like Facebook, Beejive, MLB @ BAT 2010 (to stream my red sox).....really the battery is great. If you have issue, restore as new, then restore from backup, shoud clear some issues...

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Here's mine... Pretty good, especially since I keep the brightness slightly above default.

aa9e9145.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2