my usuage, with 3g on all day, 50 percent brightness, and push email. is this normal/average or do you think I should go into the apple store and get it tested?

It looks to me like you spend a hell of a lot of time talking, so it's hard to gauge what's "normal". How much of that day was pure talk time?

Edit: That isnt meant to sound so negative, but I'm not changing it
    08-05-2010 09:41 AM
    It looks to me like you spend a hell of a lot of time talking, so it's hard to gauge what's "normal". How much of that day was pure talk time?

Edit: That isnt meant to sound so negative, but I'm not changing it
    I think those number are from my old 3G because I've only had my phone for a week haha.

The day I took that screen shot I barely talked on the phone. Maybe a total of 10 minutes of talk. Mostly email and web browsing. I would describe it as light to medium use. Leaning towards lighter use

So would you consider that a normal battery or should I go into apple and have it checked
    Last edited by spencerk; 08-05-2010 at 06:56 PM.
    08-05-2010 06:54 PM
    Here's mine from a full drain, medium use.
    08-06-2010 10:24 AM
    Here's mine on the second day i got it... couldn't be happier with the battery considering the screen this phone has.
    08-06-2010 11:06 AM
    my battery life is awesome compared to my 3gs. i am really happy with it, no complaints here at all
    08-06-2010 11:27 AM
    after watching battery life , i would like to have iPhone 4 , but jailbreak ios 4 is still very buggy .
    08-06-2010 03:08 PM
    I'm convinced about one thing. Let me explain. I jailbroke my ip4 then decided against it, after my battery life immediately started to exhibit increased drain. So I restored from backup. Since restoring from backup my battery life has continued to drain faster then anytime prior to jb/restore. Only time it seemed to operate better, was when my ip4 was setup as a new phone. There is some connection between restoring backups and reduced battery life. I had the same weird connection on my 3GS.
    yup... after JB'ing, my iP4 battery took a serious drop... no where as good as pre-JB... I could go 16hrs before hitting 10%.... now i'm at 30% after barely 8hrs... JB'ing has completely ****ed up my battery life and i'm seriously not impressed...

i'll probably restore (full factory restore) and not JB to see if things come back to normal...

battery life (and the retina display) were really the only things that made me come back to an iphone... now that one of those has taken a ****... i'm tempted to restore and sell...

would rather just maybe get a revised iPod Touch that gets retina display and get something else for a phone...
    Last edited by LCW; 08-06-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    08-06-2010 04:30 PM
    This is my wife's Droid X.. I have an Iphone 4.

Her Droid X has a 4.3 inch screen, live wall paper, widgets for facebook and twitter, she (as evident in the screen shot) talks on it ALL the time. Like hours upon hours. All this and it lasts way longer then my Iphone which is supposed to have the best battery life of all smart phones.

I'm disappointed. My old 3GS would go for DAYS.. I mean DAYS.. Like 3 days with average use.

I'm lucky to get 1 day out of my Iphone 4. While my wife gets 2 days out of her phone and talks on it about 5 times more than I do.
    Last edited by stryguy; 08-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    08-06-2010 04:41 PM
    The iphone 4 has given me insane battery life i am currently testing a brunton inspire 3200 mah battery pack for hiking so i have been watching my battery life more then usual. i didnt screen cap it but under heavy use no problem hitting 7 hours + using radio with screen off a bit, gps even the light i saw 9 hours once when i took my battery life all the way to 2%. if you dont see a massive and i mean massive difference in your battery something is wrong. Even trying to run my battery down using my light for 30 min at the end of the day just to run it down to below 5%. real world use is easily 2 days no charging for me. i love my iphone 4 was hesitant to get it originally but love it and i am rocking no case .
    08-06-2010 05:06 PM
    Here's my battery life, just felt like adding to it all! This is so far for today, 8/6

08-06-2010 08:26 PM
    It's hard to judge my battery life. It seemed really good when I first upgraded from 3G to 4. I did get my i4 right after I moved, where I get basically no signal at home and have to turn wifi on for data. With usually average to mildly heavy usage, some days my battery is just gone, while other days it seems to hardly move, probably due to how hard its trying to find a signal. More often than not, I feel like my battery life is pretty bad though.

As a side note, my 3G (iOS 4.0.1) has it's battery meter stuck at 100%. I never know when it's dying, and restore as new hasn't fixed it.
    Last edited by pyroguysf; 08-06-2010 at 08:51 PM.
    08-06-2010 08:48 PM
    This is my wife's Droid X.. I have an Iphone 4.

Her Droid X has a 4.3 inch screen, live wall paper, widgets for facebook and twitter, she (as evident in the screen shot) talks on it ALL the time. Like hours upon hours. All this and it lasts way longer then my Iphone which is supposed to have the best battery life of all smart phones.

I'm disappointed. My old 3GS would go for DAYS.. I mean DAYS.. Like 3 days with average use.

I'm lucky to get 1 day out of my Iphone 4. While my wife gets 2 days out of her phone and talks on it about 5 times more than I do.
    Um, either there's something wrong with your iPhone 4, or you're using it extremely excessively. There's no way you haven't changed your usage and you're getting 1/3rd the battery life when the battery in the new phone is 40% larger...
    08-07-2010 02:39 AM

I agree with Jellotime, you've got an issue if you are getting this bad of battery life. I can go 2 days with my iPhone 4 very easily if I need too. I am having days were I am 16 hours or so of standby time with 8 hours or more of pretty good usage and I am still showing 40% of my battery life left. If I try I can do even better than that. I had posted some screen shots early on, don't really want to post them again, but I will.
    08-07-2010 06:47 PM
    whoa my battery life dropped off after the jailbreak.....but thats part of the game lol im at 3h use and 17h standby with 32% left. Down from like 7-8h of use and 24-32h of standby but it looks like i could hit 5h of use which is doable.
    08-07-2010 11:10 PM
    Jailbreak simply doesn't offer enough sugar for a dime to give up my great battery life. I guess everyone is different, but I don't want to have to deal with or think about battery life. Right now I do know and if jailbreaking would change that, it isn't worth it to me no matter how much free software there is available.
    08-07-2010 11:14 PM
    is it really that good? I mean come on
    08-08-2010 06:08 AM
    lets put it this way, its like living with your parents then moving out yea its that good shyt can go bad but it can go so right lol
    08-08-2010 06:39 AM

Battery life is fantastic usually because I am on wifi as opposed to 3G. That particular shot comes from about an hour of playing Tumbledrop and about four nonconsecutive hours of listening to music on the iPod while using Bluetooth headphones.

When I was in San Diego for Comic-Con, coverage was crap for the most part, and because I was on 3G a lot then, I had maybe half a day's worth of battery power each day. That's an estimation.
    08-08-2010 01:50 PM

Okay, I let my battery cycle yesterday so I thought I would post this. I'm not sure if this is good or not as I don't really know what I should expect from a phone. The iPhone is my first smartphone, so I don't really have any basis for comparison.
    08-10-2010 01:04 PM
    i can't quote the link but in post 15 ... 22 hours usage and 1 day ... is freaking amazing ...

i seriously think that HAS to be Photoshopped

talk time on 2g is 14 hours max ... what could you be doing for 22 hours that only dropped you down to 66%

unless you were only using ipod the whole day
    Last edited by PandaLove; 08-11-2010 at 02:20 AM.
    08-11-2010 02:18 AM
    Here's my usage screenshot. This was from 100% to 0% (or under 1%, as my last action weirdly, was taking the screenshot, before it died and asked me to plug it in to the mains!).

Looking at some of the others here, it seems to be about average which is reassuring. Bear in mind my house is a 1 signal bar area. So its quite often looking for stronger signal.
    08-11-2010 12:38 PM
    *edit to remove image in quoted post*

Okay, I let my battery cycle yesterday so I thought I would post this. I'm not sure if this is good or not as I don't really know what I should expect from a phone. The iPhone is my first smartphone, so I don't really have any basis for comparison.
    ladytonya,

That's not bad at all. If you are constantly in a lower signal area you will also lose battery life as the phone will constantly be looking for a stronger signal. Your screenshot shows 1 bar, is that normal?

See the attached for my latest screenshot of usage, but I'll preface it by saying:
    - 90% of the usage was on wifi and was streaming via the Slacker app
    - Actually calls were under a total of 30 minutes
    - It says it was plugged in, and it was for 30 seconds while I copied off a video for my sister to upload to Youtube ( the battery % didn't change in the time it was plugged in ).
    08-11-2010 01:33 PM
    16 hours of usage? Wow, that's pretty impressive!

At my house, which was where I was when I took that screenshot, it is usually between 3 bars on Edge and 1 or 2 bars on 3G. That's why I keep it connected to WiFi there! At work, I have 4 or 5 bars of 3G all day, so it really just depends on where I am on any given day. I let it cycle again yesterday and had similar statistics, slightly less hours of usage but I spent a lot of time playing Angry Birds and watching YouTube videos. LOL! Anyway, thanks for the feedback. I thought it was pretty standard, just wanted to be sure. Hey, I'm happy with it so I guess that's all that really matters!
    08-11-2010 01:57 PM
    whoa my battery life dropped off after the jailbreak.....but thats part of the game lol im at 3h use and 17h standby with 32% left. Down from like 7-8h of use and 24-32h of standby but it looks like i could hit 5h of use which is doable.
    i was right

But then the next day....

which is about my average before the jailbreak and i was at home most of the time on wifi. but then the next day.....

Thats my best life ever. I have to talk to the jailbreak people about this. I was doing the same thing all three times and i wasnt gonna do this last cycle till i saw that at 89% i had 2 1/2 hours of use. Any ideas whats going on?
    08-12-2010 01:28 AM
    I don't think you've much to worry about to be honest. I'm getting similar results (although not as good as your last screenshot) and I'm NOT Jailbroken. If you look at others on here the results seem somewhat average. It's only the one or two standouts that are getting very good results, past the 10hr mark.
    08-12-2010 05:03 AM
172 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD