Came from Bestbuy not so long ago, and wasn't able to upgrade my girlfriends' BB Bold to the iPhone w the $299 price. She does have an upgrade this August, so she should be able to get one right? And she should be able to keep her unlimited data for $30 w the new iPhone right? The Bestbuy Mobile rep told me we wouldn't be able to do either. Can anyone confirm?

This really bums me out.. I got my iPhone, but I was really looking for both of us to get em.
    06-26-2010 04:06 AM
    May have to talk to AT&T about this, but I believe that 2010 upgrade thing is only for current iPhone customers.
    06-26-2010 04:21 AM
    I'd suggest going to a corporate store instead of a retail one. Talk to a rep there.
    Last edited by JonMark; 06-26-2010 at 05:38 AM.
    06-26-2010 05:14 AM
    I am sure because you are changing from a blackberry data to iPhone data, you are consider a new costumer on the iPhone side, so your account its not grandfathered. which is why you cannot get the unlimited data package. with the upgrade date this is what i was explained by my ex that used to work with ATT: your upgrade date listed in your account is not exactly 2 years from the date of purchase, sometimes is 1 month or up to 3 months before. it all depend on you account status and history. again i don't work with ATT but i dealt with them since 2002 (Cingular then) and i went thru many "i need to have new shiny phone now" stages...
    06-26-2010 07:43 AM
    In the same boat as the OP. Have a BB Bold and full upgrade in August. Went to AT&T store and they said I could keep my unlimited data plan on the new iPhone. Forget Best Buy...... go to the source. All smartphone accounts w/unlimited data plans are grandfathered.
    06-26-2010 07:52 AM
    Yup, whsbuss is correct. ANY smartphone customer is grandfathered into the unlimited data. I just upgraded my BlackBerry 9700 to the iPhone 4 and kept unlimited.

I've been looking forward to the iPhone 4 for a couple of months now. When I heard news of the new data plans, I had given up hope. Even when at&t told me I could keep the plan I had. Well, the plan I had was a BlackBerry plan, not an iPhone plan. I kept getting different answers from different reps. Turns out the reps who knew what they were talking about were the reps that manage at&t's facebook fan page.

It just isn't clearly documented on at&t's site. Funny that is spells it out very clearly on apple's site.

Can I keep my current AT&T unlimited data plan?

Yes. If you currently have an unlimited data plan for your current iPhone or other AT&T smartphone, you will be able to keep it when you purchase your new iPhone.
    iPhone 3GS & iPhone 4 - Apple Store (U.S.)
    06-26-2010 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD