Software fix in the works

The fix is expected to address a issue in iOS 4 related to radio frequency calibration of the baseband. Readers who saw the original forum discussions say that the issue is believed to occur when switching frequencies; because the lag is allegedly not calibrated correctly, it results in the device reporting "no service" rather than switching to the frequency with the best signal to noise ratio.

iOS 4 introduced some enhancements to how the baseband selects which frequencies to use, so it makes sense that the error may have crept into those changes. Additionally, this explains why iOS 4 has also caused similar problems for iPhone 3GS users.

Full article here:

AppleInsider | Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

Seems that some of you that have held steadfast to this being just a software issue that can be corrected with a firmware update may have been correct!

Lets all hope so! We will certainly find out soon enough! My fingers are crossed for sure.
    06-26-2010 12:15 AM
    Been reading the same thing... hopefully by Monday we'll know the answer.
    06-26-2010 12:18 AM
    Been reading the same thing... hopefully by Monday we'll know the answer.
    Hey Hank, I reached a point where I wasn't sure anymore if it was software or hardware. GEEZ! It would be great if an update fixes this.
    06-26-2010 12:20 AM
    I haven't heard anything about other providers having the issue. Is this just an AT&T thing?
    06-26-2010 01:08 AM
    Hey Hank, I reached a point where I wasn't sure anymore if it was software or hardware. GEEZ! It would be great if an update fixes this.
    I haven't personally noticed the issue... but I work from home, so I've pretty much not left the house (same cell tower at same range) since I got home with my iPhone on Thursday morning. Will see what happens this weekend...
    Last edited by Fausty82; 06-26-2010 at 01:18 AM.
    06-26-2010 01:15 AM
    I haven't heard anything about other providers having the issue. Is this just an AT&T thing?
    AT&T has nothing to do with this issue, this is an iOS4 issue. I have seen iPhone 4 owner on other carriers complain about this issue too.
    06-26-2010 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD