iP4 Do You Hear a Rattle?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
When you tap gently near the top of the iPhone 4 on the back glass, do you hear a rattle? I sure do. I also hear it every time I set it down. I'd like to know if it's normal or if I need a replacement.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
No bumper. If I put my fingers on all the buttons (finger yoga) to make sure it's not the buttons and tap the back glass right where the camera is, it rattles. Anyone else?

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
OK, it sounds like something is loose. I'll take it in when things settle down.
Do they always do replacements with this sort of thing (new phone in box)?
Do I need to take in the old box?
Do I need an appointment or walk in?
I've never had to take in my iPhones.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I called Apple about this. While I was on the phone they asked me for my serial number. So I put the iPhone on speaker phone and read the number to her. I took it off speaker phone and it ends up she couldn't hear me. Looks like my speaker phone is dead. I guess it could be software but I'll just leave it as is as I really think I'll be getting a replacement.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
A lot of last years 3GS models did this as well and it was the compass... that was with the early models - I'm not sure if it was every corrected. My iPhone 4 does not do that though.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Mine does this too... :(
In fact, I had already posted a thread about it and someone else had chimed in saying there's made the noise.

I'm not surprised. The packaging in the shipment box was a joke, and the phone must have been thrown around like crazy inside there.
Now that Jeremy mentions the compass, it makes sense. Last night when I opened the compass app, it gave me this weird image/notice. Don't remember what it said.
I'll have to set up a genius bar appt to get mine exchanged in a week or two when everything settles down.

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I made the appointment with the Genius Bar today. The first thing I did when I walked in was to check the demo units for the noise. They all did it! If you gently tap the four back corners of your phone, you'll notice that when you tap the corner with the camera it sounds like something is loose. So the bad news is the phone doesn't sound solid.

The good new is that Apple replaced my phone because of the speaker issue.

Ivoryplum

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
I made the appointment with the Genius Bar today. The first thing I did when I walked in was to check the demo units for the noise. They all did it! If you gently tap the four back corners of your phone, you'll notice that when you tap the corner with the camera it sounds like something is loose. So the bad news is the phone doesn't sound solid.

The good new is that Apple replaced my phone because of the speaker issue.

Does your new one make the rattling as well?

Dimwit

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
The vibrate motor os in the upper corner without the camera, that could, maybe vibrate if you shook or tapped the iPhone near it. That is it's function after all...

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
I have tried this several ways and there's no noise of any kind. It must be just your phone.

That's very strange. Every single iP4 I've checked (10+) has the exact same rattle. Actually knowing that now I might be concerned if I didn't hear it. Next time you come across another iP4 (Apple Store) tap on the camera, I'm sure you'll hear it.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
mine does the rattle too a little but i dont mind it cause i dont toss it around and all features work perfectly! i havent had a single issue yet minus the signal thing but i dont hold my phone like that anyways!

gern blanston

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Mine and my wife's iP4 have the rattle. It appears to be the power button. Try pressing down on the power button as if you're trying to turn off the phone and shake it: when I pres down on the power button, the rattle doesn't occur. When I release the pressure, the rattle is back. I couldn't get the rattle to occur on the display models at the Apple store, but I could hear mine distinctly even with the crowd noise.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal