Over The Air Carrier Updates

brandendae

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this has been talked about yet (and yes I have searched and found one thread getting close to it). Interesting article talking about the over the air carrier update you may receive using iOS4. I remember Rene mentioning getting one from Rogers but wasn't sure if it was just Apple flirting with OTA updates.

Code in iOS4 pings Apple and carrier to look at what baseband you're using every 7-14 days to send out an OTA update. Apparently can tell if you're JB, also send out mandatory OTA updates that if declined in any way will shut off your service! Sounds like it's already in play! True or not, I thought it was worth the read to you guys/gals.

Quote from article:
"As far as Base Bands go it does not matter what baseband you TRY to get on the iPhone cause in the iOS4 there is a line of code we wrote that stands for OAU also known as ?Over Air Updates?. How it works is every 7 to 14 days We (Apple) and AT&T send a message to your iPhone that gathers some data from your iPhone without you knowing and we see what is running, baseband and firmware. We then send a following message. ?There are optional updates for your iPhone, Would you like to install them now?? two options ?Yes? or ?Later?. Those are what would would call ?OPTIONAL UPDATES? Now there are things called ?MANDATORY UPDATES?. They tend to work the same way, grab data from the iPhones sends it to AT&T and us then back to your iPhone with the message, ?Your iPhone (name of iphone) must be updated to the current AT&T standards to run?, your only option is to ?Accept? Now you can try to work your way around it until you get the second mandatory message again ?You must plug iPhone into iTunes and update? If you don?t do this you will then receive no Signal from the network anymore and your iPhone will potentially lock up with no signs of use until you update your iPhone via iTunes. You all agreed to this terms and condition when you installed iTunes 9.2 and then again once you updated to iOS4."

Since this is my second post, I can't post the link but it can be found at addictivetips dot com under the story: Leaked: Apple Stealing All FaceTime Information, AT&T Locks Users via OTA Updates.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
This is all rumor at this point. It's been posted on one site, and many ( like MuscleNerd ) don't believe much of it.

There's little in the post I believe other than the fact that Apple DOES log FaceTime connections, if only for debugging purposes since the conversations do end up connecting through their servers.

brandendae

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Never-mind, looks like JustinSaneV2 beat me to it... Still though, this would be interesting to see how this plays out if any carrier sent out a ?mandatory update? and people refused it...