Does anyone else dislike the Multitasking feature?

HAVOKID

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Yay for the new feature but what a pain it is to remove all the running apps each time I'm done using my phone. Just like when I was jailbroken, I always killed the processed apps with SBSettings and only have my phone app running because after all, it's a phone. But wouldn't having all these apps constantly running down the processing speeds? When a jailbreak comes out eventually, I hope they have a way to limit the multitasking feature or just turn it off. I just rather have it work like 3.1.3, I open an app, I close it and it's done with it until I open it again. Everything else of iOS4 I love, just not a fan of this multitasking...

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Yay for the new feature but what a pain it is to remove all the running apps each time I'm done using my phone. Just like when I was jailbroken, I always killed the processed apps with SBSettings and only have my phone app running because after all, it's a phone. But wouldn't having all these apps constantly running down the processing speeds? When a jailbreak comes out eventually, I hope they have a way to limit the multitasking feature or just turn it off. I just rather have it work like 3.1.3, I open an app, I close it and it's done with it until I open it again. Everything else of iOS4 I love, just not a fan of this multitasking...

Its a really stupid way of doing it. Why not just do it like blackberry does it. i don't know

iquinn

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Okay here is the thing, apps are not really running in the BG. It's not like blackberry or android where the full app is running in the BG, for most of the apps they really are not doing anything besides being kept in a saved state, and that is only true if they have been updated for IOS 4. Even apps like Pandora that stream music in the BG are running the full app, just what needs to be run to keep the music playing. I have not killed one single app on my 3GS and it is faster and has better battery life then it did on the old OS.

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
this multitask feature is worthless to me if the apps i use arent even compatible with it yet, for example, i play "angry birds" and i decide i need to send a txt so i switch to txt and supposedly the birds app is "saved" so after the txt i go back and open it and what do u know... i have to start from the beginning...WORTHLESS! IMO... give me back my proswitcher!!!!

tkao2025

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I think we all need to wait for the apps we are using to update so we can "multitask".....I agree this is not true multitasking and programs are not running in the background. I guess it would piss me off if I was playing a game, had a high score, and had to start over......

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
the problem is not the multitasking, it's the users and developers

If I have an app that does not support iOS multitasking, when I close the app via the Home button, the app is closed. end of story

if i close an app that support fast app switching, the current state of the app is saved to FLASH memory (the 16 or 32GBs of storage). When you go back to the app, it loads the saved state back up.

If I close an app that supports multitasking, such as Pandora, if Pandora is playing a song it will continue to play that song until another music app wants to take over, like the Apple iPod app.

There is not enough multitasking apps that use all aspects of Apple's multitasking API to bog down anything, and even if there were, I doubt the speed loss would be very noticeable.

Now running apps in the background using the jailbreak app Backgrounder, THAT is a huge waste of both active memory and battery life.

I think we all need to wait for the apps we are using to update so we can "multitask".....I agree this is not true multitasking and programs are not running in the background. I guess it would piss me off if I was playing a game, had a high score, and had to start over......

Again, apps have to be updated to support that. They COULD have already supported that well before iOS. Field Runners, ever since iPhoneOS 2, saved its state so that if it crashed or was quit out of, you could resume immedialty after opening the game again. This is nothing new, developers just don't put the effort into that. This is why the APIs are now around, to make it easier to add these features.

What the AppStore needs is a key that shows what Multitasking features the apps support. If it supports Fast App Switching, have an icon on the store page that denotes that. If it supports background music playback, show that too.

Last edited:

spades1412

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
the problem is not the multitasking, it's the users and developers

If I have an app that does not support iOS multitasking, when I close the app via the Home button, the app is closed. end of story

if i close an app that support fast app switching, the current state of the app is saved to FLASH memory (the 16 or 32GBs of storage). When you go back to the app, it loads the saved state back up.

If I close an app that supports multitasking, such as Pandora, if Pandora is playing a song it will continue to play that song until another music app wants to take over, like the Apple iPod app.

There is not enough multitasking apps that use all aspects of Apple's multitasking API to bog down anything, and even if there were, I doubt the speed loss would be very noticeable.

Now running apps in the background using the jailbreak app Backgrounder, THAT is a huge waste of both active memory and battery life.

Again, apps have to be updated to support that. They COULD have already supported that well before iOS. Field Runners, ever since iPhoneOS 2, saved its state so that if it crashed or was quit out of, you could resume immedialty after opening the game again. This is nothing new, developers just don't put the effort into that. This is why the APIs are now around, to make it easier to add these features.

What the AppStore needs is a key that shows what Multitasking features the apps support. If it supports Fast App Switching, have an icon on the store page that denotes that. If it supports background music playback, show that too.

Excellent post. Everyone needs to read this so they understand exactly how multitasking on iOS4 works. I haven't "closed" any app and have noticed no decrease in battery life or performance.

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
this multitask feature is worthless to me if the apps i use arent even compatible with it yet, for example, i play "angry birds" and i decide i need to send a txt so i switch to txt and supposedly the birds app is "saved" so after the txt i go back and open it and what do u know... i have to start from the beginning...WORTHLESS! IMO... give me back my proswitcher!!!!

Just FYI I just downloaded angry birds last night and it takes advantage of the save state of ios 4. I left it to send a text and came back to exactly where I left it.

You can't hate on apple for how it is implemented. This way saves battery life and doesn't make it bog down if running a lot of stuff. Plus it's up to the developers to put the new API in their app not apples responsibility.

I LOVE the way multitasking works with ios 4!

Hack-My-i

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Just FYI I just downloaded angry birds last night and it takes advantage of the save state of ios 4. I left it to send a text and came back to exactly where I left it.

You can't hate on apple for how it is implemented. This way saves battery life and doesn't make it bog down if running a lot of stuff. Plus it's up to the developers to put the new API in their app not apples responsibility.

I LOVE the way multitasking works with ios 4!

well thats just weird cause for me it does not take advantage of the saved state...

swooshme

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
Do you have to double tap on the home button to engage multitasking? I'm thinking if you just press the home button once like you normally do it exits the program. Just a thought, I don't play angry birds.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Ok calm down a little there haha...

All developers need to do to use saved state is recompile their app in the OS4 SDK, it's not hard and they will ALL have to do it anyway in order to ensure compatibility with iOS 4. So eventually every single app will take advantage of saved states, sooner rather than later, trust me.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok calm down a little there haha...

All developers need to do to use saved state is recompile their app in the OS4 SDK, it's not hard and they will ALL have to do it anyway in order to ensure compatibility with iOS 4. So eventually every single app will take advantage of saved states, sooner rather than later, trust me.

Great post and I agree with you 100%. It will take awhile for all developers to get this done. I am not a developer, but from what I gather this isn't really hard to do, they just have to take the time to do it and then submit it for approval.

I recently hear the Sirius XM Radio online App and their XM Skydock App is being worked on now to take advantage of this. So checking for updates daily for awhile is likely a good idea!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2