My words to Steve Jobs, email

AndrewEwing

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Just got my iPhone 4 and loving it. I have noticed, along with others, the antennae drops reception when held a certain way. As you may remember when the wii first came out, many consumers were angered when the wiimote flew out of hand during regular use. This was acknowledged and fixed by shipping them with a simple strap. I've seen you answer some by advising them to buy a case you supply at launch (which is interesting in that it only covers the metal frame) which costs $30. I know this case could sell for $10 and still post profit. Would it not be the right thing to do to include either a white or black bumper with new iPhones since this problem is out in the open? It doesn't seem right to force users to buy a case to avoid losing reception on a phone that boasts new features designed to enhance just that. Please give thought to loyal apple customers and the quality that is expected when buying an apple product. *

Thanks
Andrew

*of course I know this email is a longshot but it needs to be said. Apple isn't standing by their reputation on this one and it is not right.

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I would have left the part out about "could be $10 and still post profit". It sounds unprofessional and isn't really relevant to the issue.

In any case, it would be interesting to see if he responds, but he's probably getting 10,000 emails just like this...

mojonation1487

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I would have left the part out about "could be $10 and still post profit". It sounds unprofessional and isn't really relevant to the issue.

In any case, it would be interesting to see if he responds, but he's probably getting 10,000 emails just like this...

its true though. The average case for any phone only costs 3 bucks

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I can't stand the way he answer his emails. I bet if anyone under him were to respond like that would definitely be fired by now.

He can't write a novel back to every email he gets/chooses to respond to. The fact he even writes back is amazing and pretty nice. Hell AT&T CEO told his lawyers to have a guy back off after he told him he left due to crappy service.

I do agree it's bogus we have to buy another $30 item to make the issue not happen.

Last edited:

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
"I know this case could sell for $10 and still post profit."

Really now, you KNOW that they would still post profits selling it for $10.00? I didn't know the people working for Apple were allowed to post this type of information. Better not let Steve know.. OH WAIT, you already did.

jonmark

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not even an iPhone 4 owner and I agree with you. They really should give what is necessary to fix their own blunders. This almost seems borderline to some sleazy used car salesman techniques ...

pendragyn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not even an iPhone 4 owner and I agree with you. They really should give what is necessary to fix their own blunders. This almost seems borderline to some sleazy used car salesman techniques ...

Give something? Come on, they removed the sim removal tool, and polishing cloth from the package. I was very surprised the cloth was missing considering the amount of glass on this device.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the price thing, but would not have included it in the email. None the less I picked up a case today for my iPhone 4 at Best Buy. Its a cheap ($12.99) RocketFish RF-WR1000 model. It does the job nicely and from what I can tell using it most of the day has resolved the antenna issue.

Clearly they knew this was an issue, so why not just include the bumper for free in the box. I think eventually if enough complaints get filed, they are going to be forced to. So why not just do it because it is the right thing to do and save faith with your customers. Apple has billions in on hand cash they can do this.