iPhone 4 Reception Issue: Does it effect you?

Do you have the reception issue?

• Total voters

Mustang5Oh

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I can replicate the issue when I have a weaker signal but not when in an area with good signal. it doesnt affect me though because i hold my phone with my right hand as i always have.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
my question is, how much of it IS software related, especially the dropped data connections.

Think of it this way: Apple is saying that the math to figure out the signal strength is incorrect. Could it also be possible that the software that determines if the phone has a data connection or not is also reliant on the signal strength information, and it just assumes "oh, i don't have enough signal strength, so I will just consider the connection non-existant", which would result in data connections to seemingly vanish when the grip of death happens.

think of it another way: when you plug an ethernet cable into a Mac, the system knows this not because of network traffic over that cable, but by the simple fact that there is a hardware/software relationship that informations the OS that a cable was plugged in. this then triggers the networking software to search for a DHCP, or if unplugged to then revert to a self-assigned IP address. If the software that reports if the cable is plugged in or not is faulty, the software that initiates/manages/closes the network connection would be effected.

just a thought

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
my question is, how much of it IS software related, especially the dropped data connections.

I doubt the phone makes any judgments on signal based on the bars, it would use the raw dB signal strength. The bars are just there to give the end user an idea of how good their call will be.

I would prefer to see a signal strength in percent form, just like the battery, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

sbrianw

Jun 6, 2009
twitter.com
I haven't had signal loss. I've tried to recreate it and no success. Nashville, TN gets good reception from ATT in most areas.

zizo79

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I think that there is a reception problem with the iPhone 4. However, it isn't as bad the slow data problem which a lot of us a suffering from. The signal drop when I do the death grip but I still haven't dropped any call but on the other hand my iPhone 4 has been slower that my old 3GS. I don't know what to do ? return it or wait ?

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
However, it isn't as bad the slow data problem which a lot of us a suffering from. The signal drop when I do the death grip but I still haven't dropped any call but on the other hand my iPhone 4 has been slower that my old 3GS.

Slow data problem that a lot are suffering from? Huh? This is actually news to me. I see no difference with my iPhone 4, but I've also never seen it mentioned before, maybe I was just not paying attention.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I did hear about that, but that has nothing to do with the iPhone 4 except for the fact that there is a particular piece of equipment that AT&T through one of its vendors is going to have to update. Which I am sure they are working on, but how long it will take is any ones business.

I personally don't see this as an iPhone 4 problem. Had the equipment on those cell sites been updated as equipment at many other cell sites, this wouldn't even be an issue. In fact they buy whatever this part is from multiple vendors and it is only this once particular vendors equipment that is having this issue. I certainly would not return my iPhone 4 because of it.

Last edited:

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
yea I'm having problems but i love this phone so that doesn't mean ill be taking it back. I also don't want a case because this form factor is beautiful. Maybe ill find some alternate almost invisible way to cover up this atenna on the left side. And yea I'm left handed which is where my problem is coming from.

beckhome

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I gots the bug!

I was talking to my Oral Surgeon this afternoon, getting ready for a dental implant, and he kept asking me questions and my hand was getting tired, so I rested my thumb on the bottom part of the antenna. Sure enough, the signal attenuated and I could barely hear him talk. We didn't get disconnected, and when I lifted my thumb the signal jumped back to normal. I used to work at a software and hardware development company and I love it when I can replicate a bug! This is a hardware issue, no software patch will fix this. Apple is going to have to rework the antenna and offer some sort of fix and that's going to cost them a bundle.

Or maybe it was just one bad batch of phones. I got mine just a few days ago, being part of the "shipping on July 14th" crowd.

Other than that, what an amazing piece of technology! Facetime is better than sliced bread, and Fring gives you the ability to do voice conferencing with other than an iPhone and wifi. My wife's getting crabby because I'm paying more attention to my phone than to her :rolleyes:

ericm.palacios

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Found something that helps

I have been having this issue. Not a lot but it has been bugging me. I bought the Zagg invisible shield to use the screen protector for the front and back. The kit i bought also had the pieces for the sides and top & bottom. I decided to take some of the pieces and make them fit over the antenna spots that have been having issues. After i put them on there, and i cant recreate the issue again. I'm going to give it a few days to make sure it doesn't come back.
I'll keep this updated.

AGreenGiant

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell. I am one of the few lucky ones that hasn't been affected by the signal loss issue by holding the phone in the left hand. I'm left handed and hold the phone normally. No issues at all. :)

Moonbase0ne

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
just had a thought. Some reports say that placing a piece of tape(duct tape, masking tape, etc...) over the slit in the bottom left hand corner helps with the reception issue.

So, if you are going to use a bumper or case anyway, couldn't you put the tape over the slit before you put your phone in the case to help the issue alittle bit more?

And, it's not like the tape will look bad because you wouldn't see it if/when your phone is in it's case.

l1ghtn1ng

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone NOT have the "death grip" problem?

I have said in a few posts that the "death grip" does not cause me to lose bars, granted I have amazing AT&T service at my house and that's the only place I have tried it.

Today while driving to work I decided to try to test out the "death grip" since I drive through one area where I lose 3G (and a circle shows up instead) and on most the way there I have 2- 3 bars. I tested it at every red light I hit.

What did I find? Absolutely nothing and once I was at red light with 2 bars of 3G I tried it 1 bar dropped then suddenly all the bars came back and I had full 3G service! I even went on facebook with no problem it was just as fast as normal.

So any one else out there not having any problems?

EDIT: I still have 4.0 I'm going to upgrade to 4.01 right now

willthetech

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I can replicate the issue on mine if i want to and i actually did it for a bunch of Froids at the bar. But i don't death grip my iPhone or any of the Froids at the bar death grip their androids, after 5 minutes of amusement and anti apple Froid humor the conversation was over. actually i had to hunt for my iPhone 4 because everyone kept asking to see it, everyone at the bar were amazed with the screen clarity and how smooth the GUI is.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I can't replicate it 100% of the time when I don't have my case on. With my case on I see it extremely rarely and usually only in on small area in my house. At my office, without a case, I can drop 3-4 bars with minimal effort more often than not.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro