iPhone 4 Reception Issue: Does it effect you?

Do you have the reception issue?

• Total voters

anon(536616)

Jun 4, 2006
Visit site
I have a clear issue with the reception problem. Both at work and at home I get 4 or 5 bars 3G unless I hold the phone in my left hand, as I normally would, then I have had occasions when the reception dropped so far it read "no service." I have to hold the phone differently (per Steve) to get the bars back. This adjustment works every time but it's not how I want to live. Hopefully a fix is truly on the way.

Looks like a bumper case for me in the future.

(At least I don't have the yellow stuff on the screen)

david.beaton

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have my iPhone activated on the Rogers Network in Edmonton, Alberta and i MOST DEFINATLY see a reception issue when holding the phone in my left hand. When held 'Naked' I can literally watch the reception bars drop off, then when I let go... they come back up. There is no doubt that it happens.

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
Happens to both of my phones (1 being my girlfriend's) .. but then again we have somewhat of a weak signal inside so that is probably the culprit.

Bill McNeal

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
I do not have the issue, my wife tried holding my phone and nothing, full bars. I had a friend of mine hold it, and while he was holding it the bars dropped dramatically from full to 1. when he handed it back to me they started increasing almost instantly. Guess it has something to do with your chemistry?

Most of the time that I talk on the phone, I'm on a blue tooth, so it's really no effect to me at this point and I'll be getting a bumper anyway as well.

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I live in Harrisburg, PA and I have the reception issue there. However I am currently in Syracuse, NY on business and cannot replicate the problem.

csimpkins

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Since Thursday, I've had over 30 calls and 16 of them have either dropped or degraded to a "can you hear me? hello? HELLO?" state within 30 seconds of initiating. I change my hand position on callback and everything is fine. This is in areas where I have full service (until I actually hold my phone).

I never had an issue with dropped calls like this on my 3G.

I love my new device. Unfortunately, it's the worst phone I've ever had. If it's a software bug, Apple needs to fix it immediately. If it's a hardware issue, they need to issue a recall. Otherwise, I forsee a class action lawsuit for selling a device that's clearly defective in it's primary function.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I can't reproduce the issue of touching the antenna to get the bars to drop. I can completely cover the bottom and cover the black band on the left side and nothing happens.

However, reception seems to be worse or fluctuate even if I'm not holding it sometimes. Behavior my 3G did not show. I had full signal at my parents house and work and now I can be sitting there and they go up and down very slowly at times. Other times it's a solid 5 bars. It never does completely lose the signal though.

Scott R

Oct 29, 2001
tapland.com
I just got mine yesterday and don't want to vote yet until I know for sure. My first two calls did not go well with a dropped call and/or garbled sound, and at least one of those times (perhaps both) the signal was high, but I was also calling a person with a 3GS (two different people), so it's possible that some of the problems were on their end. One of the times I had the phone sitting in my car's cupholder and I was using my bluetooth headset.

Last night I tried covering the lower left seam with my finger and watching the signal meter, but it didn't seem to be affected (3-4 bars regardless of whether I covered it up).

I'll see how today goes.

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I can't reproduce the issue of touching the antenna to get the bars to drop. I can completely cover the bottom and cover the black band on the left side and nothing happens.

However, reception seems to be worse or fluctuate even if I'm not holding it sometimes. Behavior my 3G did not show. I had full signal at my parents house and work and now I can be sitting there and they go up and down very slowly at times. Other times it's a solid 5 bars. It never does completely lose the signal though.

I am experiencing the very same thing....never had less than 5 bars in my town wherever I was now it fluctuates sometimes for no reason......very frustrating.....

tkao2025

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
This fluctuation and dropping of bars happened on my 3GS when I updated to iOS4. In my office I would usually get full signal. The day after the update, I had the bars go up to 5 and than dropped to 0 and looking for 3G signal. Funny thing is on my new Iphone 4, I have not had this issue.

Toymaker

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
I've also had problems with holding the phone causing signal loss so now I am using a 2G modded silicone case with no problems. Over the last four days however I have noticed my phone completely loosing a signal that doesn't come back until I reboot.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm new to the iPhone, is this common?

clg82

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I've also had problems with holding the phone causing signal loss so now I am using a 2G modded silicone case with no problems. Over the last four days however I have noticed my phone completely loosing a signal that doesn't come back until I reboot.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm new to the iPhone, is this common?

Toymaker, none of this is common. It's unlike apple to put a product out like this. Disapointing to say the least :(

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I am experiencing the very same thing....never had less than 5 bars in my town wherever I was now it fluctuates sometimes for no reason......very frustrating.....

Right now it says I have 5 bars and when I try to use any app over 3G the wheel just spins and spins like it's loading data but nothing ever happens. I don't get a message that it can't activate the data network. The 3G connection seems to have problems. I reset it and it worked for about 2 minutes and now it's back to spinning wheels but no loading. After the reset I also got 8 emails through Google Sync that I didn't have right before.

What is going on?

Oh yea to top it off I was looking at it more closely last night. Noticed a hair over the camera lense, assumed it was just laying over it stuck under the opening from my case. But, after looking closer it looks like there is a hair (or maybe a crack in a secondary piece of glass) under the main piece of glass covering the camera on the back. Just great.

Last edited:

Casper TFG

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Was unable to replicate it in an apple store today. Tried a side by side broser speed test beteen my 3GS and a 4 (inconclusive)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR