View Poll Results: Do you have the reception issue?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

108 48.43%
  • No

115 51.57%
    I picked up my 4 on the morning of release. I have YET to experience the "death grip" problem. No matter how I hold my phone I do not loose any bars (no matter if I have full bars or 1 bar). I do drop calls in the same areas all the time, but I am convinced it is a network issue (all my other iPhones would drop the calls in the same places as my 4).

Now my buddy on the other hand, if we are sitting next to each other, and we both hold the phone the same way (death grip), he drops bars and I do not. So I dont know what the deal is with mine.
    07-22-2010 01:08 PM
    It is working fine with me - no dropped calls, who is looking at the bars all day long??
    07-22-2010 04:31 PM
    I haven't had any problems with reception, when I touch the spot it drops to 1 bar but other than that its all good no drop calls so far.
    07-23-2010 01:48 AM
    I have a case on my iPhone, however, when I have used the phone uncased I have not noticed any loss in signal. I am able to duplicate it however is I hold the phone lower than I normally do.
    07-23-2010 10:29 AM
    THe worst thing is when I call a buddy with an iPhone4 the probability are multiplied by 2 !
    07-25-2010 08:59 AM
    I can recreate it in a bad coverage area but we have to be perfectly clear on what we can actually "recreate". Can we see bars drop? It depends upon the aforementioned good or bad coverage area that we're in. The real question should be does call quality noticeably drop and do calls fail whilst recreating said antenna "death grip" or "spock touch"? The answer to that is also, "It depends." I have an area in my house that is EDGE and I can make calls drop by holding the phone in my left hand with out even using the "death grip", per se, but this is a problem area to begin with as I frequently had calls drop with my iPhone 3G, so it's not a new problem for me. I have learned to avoid that area. What is ironic, however, is some time ago I had an Audiovox PDA on Verizon's network when I first moved in this same place, I couldn't get ANY bars or signal on my phone! How about that!?!
    07-26-2010 09:55 AM
    It effected my first iPhone 4 terribly: data transfer would stop. It didn't require a "death grip", either: a light touch on the area would stop data transfer. I returned the original, and the replacement iP4 doesn't have the antenna issue at all.
    07-26-2010 10:11 AM
    sounds like maybe you just got a bad one, things like that do happen unfortunately
    07-27-2010 11:38 AM
    Can I recreate the death grip drop? Yeah, if I place my hand perfectly over the exact right spot and squeeze hard, I can make it drop from 4 or 5 bars on Edge down to no service or from 1 or 2 bars on 3G down to 3 or 4 bars on Edge. Do I care? No! This behavior occurs at my house if I take the case off the phone. At my house, the signal constantly switches back and forth between 3G and Edge anyway, always has even on my 3GS At my office, I have full 3G signal and cannot make the bars drop at all. My husband's i4 is the same way.

We do sometimes drop calls, but they are in all the same places that we dropped calls on the 3GS. The dropped calls here are because of the terrible AT&T coverage, not because of the phone. Personally, I absolutely love this phone! It is probably the best piece of electronic equipment that I have owned and I wouldn't return it for anything. Do I believe that there are people out there who have real issues? Of course! But I also think that if you are having problems with the phone to the point that it doesn't work for you, you should take it back and either exchange it for a new unit or return it. I have had my phone since July 3 and absolutely love it. My only complaint is that I wish I could find a relatively inexpensive case that wouldn't peel the edges of the Zagg Invisishield off the phone! LOL!

I'm new here, just posted a few times, but I'm very glad I found this forum. So far, I have had a great experience here and I can't say that for every iPhone or Apple forum out there. Thanks!
    Last edited by ladytonya; 07-27-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    07-27-2010 03:03 PM
    if i have 5 bars, no death grip will change the reception. but if i have 4, it will easily go down to one.
    07-31-2010 06:59 PM
    My 3G dropped calls constantly but I haven't had my iPhone 4 drop ONE.
    08-01-2010 06:53 PM
    No reception issues or dropped call issues here so far.
    08-01-2010 08:47 PM
    The same dropped calls every once in a while I had with my 3G fallows suit with my iPhone4. I have had it for almost a week and havent really isolated if it is due to the antenna, or more at&t's stellar network. I have enjoyed the faster processing speed. Its snappy... Im overall happy so far with the phone, and no...Im not drinking Job's koolaid.
    Last edited by KStewart; 08-01-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    08-01-2010 09:05 PM
    If I have five bars it sometimes will go down do four and if I have four it can go to either three or two.

Overall I think this whole death-grip/death-touch is way over hyped.
    08-06-2010 04:28 PM
    Ive had mine for 5 weeks today. I have not encountered one dropped call. Personally, I believe that if this had been any other phone manufacturer besides Apple, it would have been a total non-issue.
    08-08-2010 05:36 PM
    I use my iPhone as my corporate phone and yes there are times that u have no service but I absolutely live nit being reachable everywhere. I haven't come across to many places that actually happens though. There are some building that I go into that that I believe that the roof on those buildings are interfering with my signal but it isn't a big deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone 4
    08-10-2010 05:34 PM
    I got my i4 on launch day in Canada, used it without a case for a day to test the reception issue, holding it in the infamous spot and had no problems. I'm in Azores, Portugal now so I am on Vodafone. I took it out of the case this morning and had my hand on the spot the bars didn't move an inch. I was at 2 1/2 bars at the time. So I haven't had any issue with reception or the proximity sensor. *knocks on wood*
    08-12-2010 07:22 AM
    I'm in the uk and not really noticed... Where I live I get spotty reception but it's not affected me making or receiving calls and I have wifi anyway. My folks live in Manchester and I had max 3G whilst there to the point it was close to wifi speeds the signal never dropped whilst I was there and I couldn't replicate the antennae issue. So for me all is great
    08-14-2010 07:12 PM
143 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD