View Poll Results: Do you have the reception issue?

Voters
223. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

108 48.43%
  • No

115 51.57%
    How does a "bumper" cure this issue? I would think it would have made it worse?
    Keeps your skin off the metal. It's not a cure all, but it does help.
    06-29-2010 02:03 PM
    I can't reproduce the issue of touching the antenna to get the bars to drop. I can completely cover the bottom and cover the black band on the left side and nothing happens.

However, reception seems to be worse or fluctuate even if I'm not holding it sometimes. Behavior my 3G did not show. I had full signal at my parents house and work and now I can be sitting there and they go up and down very slowly at times. Other times it's a solid 5 bars. It never does completely lose the signal though.
    06-30-2010 02:25 AM
    I just got mine yesterday and don't want to vote yet until I know for sure. My first two calls did not go well with a dropped call and/or garbled sound, and at least one of those times (perhaps both) the signal was high, but I was also calling a person with a 3GS (two different people), so it's possible that some of the problems were on their end. One of the times I had the phone sitting in my car's cupholder and I was using my bluetooth headset.

Last night I tried covering the lower left seam with my finger and watching the signal meter, but it didn't seem to be affected (3-4 bars regardless of whether I covered it up).

I'll see how today goes.
    06-30-2010 08:53 AM
    I can't reproduce the issue of touching the antenna to get the bars to drop. I can completely cover the bottom and cover the black band on the left side and nothing happens.

However, reception seems to be worse or fluctuate even if I'm not holding it sometimes. Behavior my 3G did not show. I had full signal at my parents house and work and now I can be sitting there and they go up and down very slowly at times. Other times it's a solid 5 bars. It never does completely lose the signal though.
    I am experiencing the very same thing....never had less than 5 bars in my town wherever I was now it fluctuates sometimes for no reason......very frustrating.....
    06-30-2010 09:00 AM
    This fluctuation and dropping of bars happened on my 3GS when I updated to iOS4. In my office I would usually get full signal. The day after the update, I had the bars go up to 5 and than dropped to 0 and looking for 3G signal. Funny thing is on my new Iphone 4, I have not had this issue.
    06-30-2010 10:01 AM
    I've also had problems with holding the phone causing signal loss so now I am using a 2G modded silicone case with no problems. Over the last four days however I have noticed my phone completely loosing a signal that doesn't come back until I reboot.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm new to the iPhone, is this common?
    06-30-2010 11:38 AM
    I've also had problems with holding the phone causing signal loss so now I am using a 2G modded silicone case with no problems. Over the last four days however I have noticed my phone completely loosing a signal that doesn't come back until I reboot.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm new to the iPhone, is this common?
    Toymaker, none of this is common. It's unlike apple to put a product out like this. Disapointing to say the least
    06-30-2010 11:39 AM
    I am experiencing the very same thing....never had less than 5 bars in my town wherever I was now it fluctuates sometimes for no reason......very frustrating.....
    Right now it says I have 5 bars and when I try to use any app over 3G the wheel just spins and spins like it's loading data but nothing ever happens. I don't get a message that it can't activate the data network. The 3G connection seems to have problems. I reset it and it worked for about 2 minutes and now it's back to spinning wheels but no loading. After the reset I also got 8 emails through Google Sync that I didn't have right before.

What is going on?

Oh yea to top it off I was looking at it more closely last night. Noticed a hair over the camera lense, assumed it was just laying over it stuck under the opening from my case. But, after looking closer it looks like there is a hair (or maybe a crack in a secondary piece of glass) under the main piece of glass covering the camera on the back. Just great.
    Last edited by sting7k; 06-30-2010 at 12:04 PM.
    06-30-2010 12:00 PM
    Very good article on the iphone and technical description of the antennae issue:

Apple's iPhone 4: Thoroughly Reviewed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Not sure if someone has posted this link already.
    06-30-2010 12:49 PM
    Was unable to replicate it in an apple store today. Tried a side by side broser speed test beteen my 3GS and a 4 (inconclusive)
    06-30-2010 04:18 PM
    I haven't had any problems with mine at all so far.
    06-30-2010 06:47 PM
    I have had my iphone 4 since launch day June 24th and I have not had any reception issues. Prior to getting an iphone 4 I had an Iphone 3G for a year and a half and even then I never had any droped calls on AT&T. I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and the At&t signal is very strong I quess lol.
    07-01-2010 12:51 PM
    I live in the fort worth/Dallas area (AT&T headquarters), and I have the reception issue. It doesn't effect me on calls since I almost always use my right hand, but it does effect me when using Safari, downloading podcasts or apps, etc since I hold the phone in my left hand and tap with my right: I frequently notice that my download has stopped, a webpage won't load, and then I see that the bars have dropped to zero, so I move my hand up a little, get the bars back, and everything woeks again. I love this iPhone 4, but this is a little annoying because I have to hold the phone a little less securely. Switching hands for me is too awkward. Still, I'm keeping it.
    07-02-2010 11:38 AM
    According to AT&T's map I'm in the best coverage area available.

However my phone is unreliable a lot of times. Sometimes I get full bars in my apartment, other times I'm at 3 or even 0.

Data has been up and down for me too. Some days its as fast as its ever been and the next its crawling so slow I'm thinking "what in the world is going on"..

But the bottom line the i4 is still the best phone I've ever used and thats why it is worth putting up with.
    07-02-2010 02:25 PM
    It happens at my house but if i go outside or uptown or something it doesnt happen.
    07-02-2010 09:40 PM
    I wonder how much of this is a real problem in normal usage? Sort of like a scab you can't help but pick at but would be fine if you just left it alone. Everyone with a 3GS seems to have a case; seems like that would be pretty normal for ip4 users as well once a decent selection is out.

I'm not trying to belittle those who are experiencing real problems, but I know I would tend to "pick at it" if I had an ip4 and experienced the problem.
    07-02-2010 10:05 PM
    I had the signal problem with my first i4, swapped it out with a 2nd one, same thing. I returned it, will wait for the iPhone 4.5

I did notice that while I could easily reproduce the problem in the Apple Store, their display models didn't have the problem. So... it's not a problem with all of the iPhone 4's, but it definitely is for some. Just imagine, all the ones that are having the problem and being returned will eventually wind up as refurbs used as replacements -- ohoh...
    07-02-2010 10:44 PM
    I wonder how much of this is a real problem in normal usage?
    For me I don't have problems with phone calls. I don't use it as a phone that much, so that doesn't really help my case. My issue is that my internet speeds get cut in half sometimes.

If I have a strong signal the data speeds drop about 30% when in hand vs not, but when I start at like a 1.5 Mbps download speed, it will drop to almost nothing in hand, much great than the 30% drop at higher signal.
    07-02-2010 10:45 PM
    I had the signal problem with my first i4, swapped it out with a 2nd one, same thing. I returned it, will wait for the iPhone 4.5

I did notice that while I could easily reproduce the problem in the Apple Store, their display models didn't have the problem. So... it's not a problem with all of the iPhone 4's, but it definitely is for some. Just imagine, all the ones that are having the problem and being returned will eventually wind up as refurbs used as replacements -- ohoh...
    Did you try YOUR "defective" iPhone 4 in the same place in the Apple store? You know all Apple stores have a mini cell site in the back (affectionately referred to as the cancer boxes) so the signal is going to be super strong. Maybe you don't see the problem for this reason.
    I know I can not get the signal to drop by shorting the lower left corner antenna insulator when I'm close to an AT&T microcell. But I can if I'm far enough away or far enough from a real AT&T cell tower. I have a case on it now so I never see any problems. Only when I would touch the metal antennas with my bare hands.
    Last edited by taylorh; 07-03-2010 at 02:31 AM.
    07-03-2010 02:28 AM
    Ok, I've been holding off posting to this thread until I was somewhere with a week signal.

Well today me and the wife were out shopping in a location which I wouldn't exactly call metropolitan. In fact, I'd call it rural. I happened to look at my iPhone 4 /w bumper installed and I saw that I had no service. My wife has a Motorola L7 that is also on AT&T, so I asked to see her phone. I looked at her phone and it showed two bars.

At this point in time, I'm a little miffed that a 4 year old $50 Motorola dumb phone gets a better signal than my brand new $199 iPhone 4. I would return my phone and jump to Android but Sprint sucks in my area and I hate Verizon's pricing. Plus I personally think Android is clunky and could use more polish. And their marketplace doesn't even compare to Apple's AppStore.

In saying all that, Apple had better get their chit together in the coming months or I will jump ship, even if it does mean I have to go to Verizon and Android.
    07-03-2010 05:37 PM
    When I hold the ip4 in my left hand while running one of the speed test apps, the test will stop when the bars drop to none. The app starts up again when I take my hand off the bottom left corner and the bars reappear.
    07-04-2010 06:01 PM
    Luckily, AT&T provides decent coverage in my area. After using the phone since launch day, I do think there is a problem with attenuation/detuning when that little black gap is bridged. Does it make me mad? Does it upset me? Am I going to write Apple hate mail? No. I have learned to hold the phone differently just as I have learned to keep the proximity sensor in contact with my ear. IMO, the iPhone's pros outweigh its cons.
    07-04-2010 08:18 PM
    AT&T does not provides a much coverage in my area
    07-05-2010 12:29 AM
    Low reception area and have a really difficult time getting the issue to occur n
    07-05-2010 11:19 PM
    I've had no issues. I was very nervous thinking that I was going to be disappointed, but so far so good!
    07-06-2010 12:10 PM
143 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD