iPhone 4 Reception Issue: Does it effect you?

Do you have the reception issue?

• Total voters

slalomskie

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Come on Obama get in here with a government inquiry call a special session and ask Steve Jobs to come to the White House and discuss this problem. This is a problem of national concern.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any issue with reception, signal strength or dropped calls whatsoever. I live in a strong 3G area (Phoenix), and my iPhone 4 has behaved flawlessly... as has my daughter's and her husband's 3GS iPhones.

It also does not seem to be an issue with how I hold the phone... no case (yet), still no problem.

Last edited:

JT1990

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Can't explain why, but my reception problem stopped. I am now getting the same signal strength with my 4 that I get with my 3Gs, everywhere I go.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I think it all boils down to is this a software issue that Apple can correct or is it a hardware design flaw as some RF engineers have said as in the PC Mag article.

There is a report out now that Apple maybe releasing an update as early as Monday that will correct these problems! Hope it is true, I initially felt this was a software issue, but so many others have have done testing that seem to indicate otherwise. I sometimes wish I knew more about this kind of stuff. Thing is no one knows enough about the design that Apple is using for this stuff, so all this testing is really meaningless, though we've had fun doing it. I guess we'll see when Apple drops their iOS4.01. The thing is you could make an argument either way!

Here is from an Apple Insider Report:

Software fix in the works

The fix is expected to address a issue in iOS 4 related to radio frequency calibration of the baseband. Readers who saw the original forum discussions say that the issue is believed to occur when switching frequencies; because the lag is allegedly not calibrated correctly, it results in the device reporting "no service" rather than switching to the frequency with the best signal to noise ratio.

iOS 4 introduced some enhancements to how the baseband selects which frequencies to use, so it makes sense that the error may have crept into those changes. Additionally, this explains why iOS 4 has also caused similar problems for iPhone 3GS users.

AppleInsider | Death Grip hysteria may end Monday with iOS 4.01

ALexSoFLy

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My bars kept jumping from 5 to 1 at work. I was afraid that my phone would do that everywhere. When I got home, everything was good 5bars no drops. Since my case came today, my reception has been stable at 5 bars. No drops. 3G works great. Inreconmend getting a case ASAP.

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I used to have the same reception and signal bar issues that everyone else is having but it had nothing to do with where I placed my fingers on the iPhone. These issues were occuring profusely on June 23rd after I activated my iPhone 4 and it was even knocking out my WiFi signal as well my passwords.

I initially synced the iPhone 4 as a New Phone so any chance of it picking up anything from a jailbreak of my 3G is out of the question. And even with that, I was still having those reception issues. Later, I decided to actually restore it from one of my jailbroken backups and it was still suffering from the same issues. Throughout this period initially and after the restore, I was intermittently resetting my Network Settings. After I waited it out for another half-day, on 10AM on June 24th, all of my reception and signal woes were relieved by itself and it has never repeated.

I've called many people totalling over 14 hours of talk time and all of them remark how clear I sound on the iPhone 4 using my Motorola MOTOROKR S305 bluetooth headset, the same one I used on my 3G.

So with this being my experience, I highly doubt that these reception and signal issues are hardware related, especially since many 3G and 3GS users with OS4 are reporting the same problems.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I lose a bar or two of signal when I hold it in my left hand but the reception seem the same. I know it should not do this and it's not ok but its not the end of the world I wish apple would give us a bumper for this flaw but we know that will not go down.

May 22, 2009
Visit site
I am not having any reception issues...my reception is much better on my iphone 4 then my 3gs when I had it...at home It stays at 4-5 bars verses 3-4 on 3gs..

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I am having horrible reception issues with my iPhone 4, when I touch the phone it doesn't just lose a few bars all bars are lost and go's to no service/searching but as soon as I put the phone down the bars go right back up. I did buy a crappy case for the time being and it has some what fixed the issue but I still have less bars than my 3GS would have. But anyways I'm swapping this 16gb out and pre-ordering the 32gb model on Tuesday so hopefully that turns out to be one with no probs :)

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site

The 32 GB version has the same problem. I got one of, what I'd guess, is an early production unit since I received it on Wednesday. A case will not be an acceptable solution. Let's hope they have a software tweak that resolves issues (not optimistic). I'm prepared to go back to my 3GS and/or go Droid.

Scuba629

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I live in a city and its not to bad at my house but if I walk into some of the older buildings I can't do anything on my phone if im holding it. I have to put it down to place a call or use any of my data features. The funny thing is I have the bumper on the phone and its not really helping at all.

krisk

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the problem at home where I have a Microcell installed because of unreliable coverage. Signal goes from 5 bars to 1 bar, or even drops off the Microcell and switches to the regular cell tower when holding the phone. The signal goes back to 5 bars once I set the phone down.

At work I have 5 bars of coverage from the cell tower and I am unable to replicate the drop in signal no matter how I hold the phone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW