Let me start by saying I'm not posting this to start an Apple bashing session. I'm an iPhone and Macbook owner, and will probably be an iPad owner in the near future. However, with the release of the iPhone 4 there just seem to be one gaffe after another:

1. The pre-order fiasco
    2. No white iPhone at initial launch....worse yet, no explanation for several days after pre-order day.
    3. Yellow spots on Retina display
    4. Antenna/ reception issues
    5. Response to the antenna/reception issue...."hold it differently..."? Really?
    6. Response to the no hold button...the hold button "doesn't do anything more than mute." uhhhh..actually, it does.

I don't think I can recall there ever being this many legitimate issues with a new Apple product. I think what bothers me most about these mishaps are the responses from Apple. They just seem to have a "shut-up and get over it" vibe to them. Apple has created a cult like following because they create great products, but are they starting to take their die hard followers for granted? I mean, there's just something fishy about the reception issue, which is obviously a result of the design of the phone, and Apple introducing a "case" that would, low and behold, solve the issue. I'm sure Apple knew of this issue, but instead of being upfront they chose to sell us a solution under the guise of a new "cool" Apple product knowing fans (like myself) will flock to it.

Anyhow, Apple usually get's it right the first time and with the iPhone 4 they're obviously having some trouble. Just curious see if anyone else has taken notice.
    Last edited by ihoop; 06-25-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    06-25-2010 10:24 AM
    I'm not having issues at all with the iphone 4. But i would agree Apple needs to respond much better and handle it.

I would also say apple needs to stop the short, blunt email replies from Jobs on this.
    06-25-2010 10:50 AM
    I don't care about any issue on the phone until it affects me. This doesn't affect my ability for data and voice, so why should I care?

As for Cardfan, and who is going to force Jobs to stop sending those emails? People can talk with their wallets, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. They've voted and the iPhone is winning. Will there be upset people who return it? Naturally, but there are still plenty who will buy.
    06-25-2010 10:55 AM
    I don't think so since it takes one year to release it and iOS4 is great.
    06-25-2010 10:59 AM
    Let me start by saying I'm not posting this to start an Apple bashing session. I'm an iPhone and Macbook owner, and will probably be an iPad owner in the near future. However, with the release of the iPhone 4 there just seem to be one gaffe after another:

1. The pre-order fiasco
    2. No white iPhone at initial launch....worse yet, no explanation for several days after pre-order day.
    3. Yellow spots on Retina display
    4. Antenna/ reception issues
    5. Response to the antenna/reception issue...."hold it differently..."? Really?
    6. Response to the no hold button...the hold button "doesn't do anything more than mute." uhhhh..actually, it does.

I don't think I can recall there ever being this many legitimate issues with a new Apple product. I think what bothers me most about these mishaps are the responses from Apple. They just seem to have a "shut-up and get over it" vibe to them. Apple has created a cult like following because they create great products, but are they starting to take their die hard followers for granted? I mean, there's just something fishy about the reception issue, which is obviously a result of the design of the phone, and Apple introducing a "case" that would, low and behold, solve the issue. I'm sure Apple knew of this issue, but instead of being upfront they chose to sell us a solution under the guise of a new "cool" Apple product knowing fans (like myself) will flock to it.

Anyhow, Apple usually get's it right the first time and with the iPhone 4 they're obviously having some trouble. Just curious see if anyone else has taken notice.
    i have a hold button....
    06-25-2010 10:59 AM
    You have to compare the iPhone to other phone launches. I don't know about you but I think the screen peeling off or the battery dying after 5 hours of standby are bigger problems (Evo 4G)... Not to mention lying about sales numbers.

Most of those issues were unavoidable because of the demand, and the yellowing is because the sealant hasn't dried yet. The reception thing is a firmware issue, it's present in many 3G and 3GS models as well (mine included).

It may have been sloppy but for any other company it would've been far worse.
    06-25-2010 11:06 AM
    All phones when released have issues. It's just going to happen but the iPhone gets more attention simply because of the amount they sell, which is much larger than any other phone on the market. That being said, I don't have any issues with my new phone.
    06-25-2010 11:18 AM
    Yes I do think the release was a little rushed. They didn't seem to have tested out this new iPhone and that they rushed shipments with the coloration problems from having some undried glue I think it was. I think the antenna thing is a whole mess and that you have to buy something like a bumper for it or a case (or you could put tape around it). Overall I think the launch was rushed. Just my opinion.
    06-25-2010 12:04 PM
    You have to compare the iPhone to other phone launches. I don't know about you but I think the screen peeling off or the battery dying after 5 hours of standby are bigger problems (Evo 4G)... Not to mention lying about sales numbers.

Most of those issues were unavoidable because of the demand, and the yellowing is because the sealant hasn't dried yet. The reception thing is a firmware issue, it's present in many 3G and 3GS models as well (mine included).

It may have been sloppy but for any other company it would've been far worse.
    Finally, somebody is making sense.

It's only human nature for people to gravitate towards the negative. People want it perfect. I thinks its almost impossible to please every single person with a launch this big.
    06-25-2010 12:25 PM
    Finally, somebody is making sense.

It's only human nature for people to gravitate towards the negative. People want it perfect. I thinks its almost impossible to please every single person with a launch this big.
    You are exactly right. It. Is impossible to make something like this that everyone is going to like. It is really impossible to do not everyone will like it and not everyone will hate it either you can only try your best to make a product people will like and of course not everyone will like it.
    06-25-2010 12:29 PM
    Very sloppy....Very un-Apple-like. Lots of details that could have been addressed in advance.

But I'm most disappointed in FedEx after they lied to me several times about delivery. One could make excuses about the volume of deliveries, etc...but it's their freaking BUSINESS to deliver packages....nothing else. And they screwed that up and worst of all, they lied about it.

Very disappointing, but I still love my i4 (except for the reception issue...that one kind of pisses me off).
    Last edited by BigJamoke; 06-25-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    06-25-2010 12:33 PM
    All things considered (namely: demand) I think things went well. There was HUGE demand for the iPhone 4 and Apple really tried to meet that demand. They are really in a no-win situation - if they had released fewer phones, there would be more angry people. But by upping productivity to meet demand (which keeps consumers and shareholders happy), they are going to have more issues. It's just the nature of the game. From what I've heard (and compared to issues other companies have when releasing new high-end devices), the issues with the iPhone are pretty minor. Some glue that just hasn't dried yet? Big deal! Reception issues that will probably be resolved with an update? Not a biggie. The thing I really like about Apple is their ability and quickness to communicate with consumers.

That all said, I had no issues with my preorder (at an AT&T store), my pick-up, or my iPhone 4 (yet). We have now had four Mac computers (2 laptops, a mac mini, and an iMac), several iPods, and three iPhones - not a single issue with any of these devices. One of the Mac laptops is more than 6 years old and still chugging along. We even have an original iPod that still works perfectly! In terms of quality control experience, no line of products I've used has ever been this "issue free."

I think we have to remember sometimes that we (the consumer) are the ones who demand that products be released quickly. From my perspective, as long as Apple doesn't hassle customers who need to exchange defective products (and from everything I've seen, they do not) we should stay realistic.
    06-25-2010 12:35 PM
    All things considered (namely: demand) I think things went well. There was HUGE demand for the iPhone 4 and Apple really tried to meet that demand. They are really in a no-win situation - if they had released fewer phones, there would be more angry people. But by upping productivity to meet demand (which keeps consumers and shareholders happy), they are going to have more issues. It's just the nature of the game. From what I've heard (and compared to issues other companies have when releasing new high-end devices), the issues with the iPhone are pretty minor. Some glue that just hasn't dried yet? Big deal! Reception issues that will probably be resolved with an update? Not a biggie. The thing I really like about Apple is their ability and quickness to communicate with consumers.

That all said, I had no issues with my preorder (at an AT&T store), my pick-up, or my iPhone 4 (yet). We have now had four Mac computers (2 laptops, a mac mini, and an iMac), several iPods, and three iPhones - not a single issue with any of these devices. One of the Mac laptops is more than 6 years old and still chugging along. We even have an original iPod that still works perfectly! In terms of quality control experience, no line of products I've used has ever been this "issue free."

I think we have to remember sometimes that we (the consumer) are the ones who demand that products be released quickly. From my perspective, as long as Apple doesn't hassle customers who need to exchange defective products (and from everything I've seen, they do not) we should stay realistic.
    You are right the good thing about apple is that they try and get things to the user asap and sometimes that means some minor flaws. The reception problem will probably be addressed in an update and right now just get a case for it or a bumper and put it around the phone. Heck even get some tape and put it around the steel band and that will fix it according to 9to5mac. Of course there are problems. They are making them fast as they can and sometimes that results in flaws. I am just saying it is rushed but that's alright sometimes if the problems can easily be fixed and in this case they can be.
    06-25-2010 12:44 PM
    I think this release has been horrible for the following reasons:

1. I was unable to pre-order - tried all day that day, but kept getting errors. I ended up reserving for pickup at the Apple store.

2. There were a couple hundred people lined up outside the Apple store yesterday evening when I was finally able to get there - no way I was gonna wait for hours just to get this phone.

The feature I was most interested in was the noise cancellation and improved voice quality. After the fiasco trying to acquire the new iphone, I ordered a Nexus One last night. I'll miss the iphone, but I'll get noise cancellation, tethering and hotspot with Froyo, and better support for my virtual office service from phone.com (the android app they have is MUCH better than their iphone app.)

I love Apple products, but this was too much to take. They've lost me as an iphone customer.
    06-25-2010 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD