Iphone 4 Battery Performance.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had my phone off the charger for about 14 hours now and am sitting at 16% battery... is that good? My point of reference is my BlackBerry 9700 - I could go 2 full days on a charge... I guess I just need to know what to expect, so I can manage those expectations...

MrFadedGlory#IM

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is terrible! i got my iphone 4 yesterday and charged it a good full 7-8 hours overnight and it was 100% this morning, ive been messing around with it off and on all day and im down to 28%What gives?????

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is terrible! i got the phone yesterday and charged it a good full 7-8 hours overnight and it was 100% this morning, ive been messing around with it off and on all day and im down to 28%What gives?????

It will get better... I know that I can now get 20+ hours out of, depending on how I use my iPhone during the day. Lots of game playing and talking will eat the battery, but I am not "nursing" it to get through the day... at just over 8 hours I am still at 79%... with almost 3 hours total "usage" vs standby.

Part of the issue is "breaking it in"... and then there's the new toy exploration phase, where you are constantly doing something on it because it's new...

My son-in-law did tell me early on that the battery life will suck, but it gets better... (his 3GS was likewise, horrible at first)... and he was right... it does get better.

Ariyala

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
It will get better... I know that I can now get 20+ hours out of, depending on how I use my iPhone during the day. Lots of game playing and talking will eat the battery, but I am not "nursing" it to get through the day... at just over 8 hours I am still at 79%... with almost 3 hours total "usage" vs standby.

Part of the issue is "breaking it in"... and then there's the new toy exploration phase, where you are constantly doing something on it because it's new...

My son-in-law did tell me early on that the battery life will suck, but it gets better... (his 3GS was likewise, horrible at first)... and he was right... it does get better.

I agree, it DOES get better. I was frustrated at my battery life when I first got it, but it has improved tons!!

MrFadedGlory#IM

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Cool this is very good to hear! I was starting to panic a little, this is my first iPhone so i really dont know what to expect just heard that this battery is way better than previous models. Thanks for the update fellas

solius

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I've had mine since launch and been using it in what I consider to be heavy use and I can't get this thing down any lower than 50% I've gone two days without charging it and it still only sat at 50% before I decided to charge it :) the battery on this phone is insane good.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
The battery life in my first iP4 was amazing, as I still had 40-50% left at the end of my workday of 10-12 hours. This replacement phone I got last Sunday has not proven as good. I can only hope it gets better with time...

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on what you do. 3D gaming is a drain, so is browsing. I have been on my phone a lot today, playing a few 3D games, an hour of phone calls, 3 10 minute FaceTime calls, tons of browsing, a little YouTube, tons of texts and push email on. Five hours of usage with 14 1/2 hours of stand by with 30% remaining. I'm super happy with the battery life.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on what you do. 3D gaming is a drain, so is browsing. I have been on my phone a lot today, playing a few 3D games, an hour of phone calls, 3 10 minute FaceTime calls, tons of browsing, a little YouTube, tons of texts and push email on. Five hours of usage with 14 1/2 hours of stand by with 30% remaining. I'm super happy with the battery life.

That's pretty damn sweet.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yep... I'm sitting at 37% after 17 hours 23 minutes... and 5 hours 47 minutes of usage - phone calls, texting, twitter/facebook/rss, and some games. Much better than the first week or so.

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm thoroughly and 100% thrilled with the battery life. I thought my 3GS was sufficient but always left me wanting a little more on those heavier usage days. The 4 definitely has fulfilled that wish. It's probably one of the biggest reasons I can't go to another phone - they simply just cannot achieve battery life like this.

The best I got so far was 5 hours and 23minutes usage and 1 day and 18 hours of standby with 10% battery life left. Not bad considering almost 2 days of standby.

I must add - the iPad has spoiled me rotten for exceptional battery life though! Haha!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm thoroughly and 100% thrilled with the battery life. I thought my 3GS was sufficient but always left me wanting a little more on those heavier usage days. The 4 definitely has fulfilled that wish. It's probably one of the biggest reasons I can't go to another phone - they simply just cannot achieve battery life like this.

Wow, are you serious? Do you live under a rock? :eek: You can't leave the iPhone because no other phone can achieve battery life like the iPhone? My BlackBerry could go 2 days on a charge with heavy use - including game play, push services, etc. Heck my son's Droid gets better battery life than my iPhone4.

That said, I am not bashing the iPhone at all, and the battery life is much improved... but don't get carried away with it... the battery life is better than any iPhone before, but there are other quality phones with battery life as good or better.

rotchcrocket04

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Wow, are you serious? Do you live under a rock? :eek: You can't leave the iPhone because no other phone can achieve battery life like the iPhone? My BlackBerry could go 2 days on a charge with heavy use - including game play, push services, etc. Heck my son's Droid gets better battery life than my iPhone4.

That said, I am not bashing the iPhone at all, and the battery life is much improved... but don't get carried away with it... the battery life is better than any iPhone before, but there are other quality phones with battery life as good or better.
Lol ohhh k, I think there's a misunderstanding here.

First, I said it's probably ONE of the biggest reasons. Not the only reason. Example: the Evo is an awesome phone... I'm sure that would be a very comparable phone for me to switch to... if I would be alright with a quarter of the battery life. It's literally terrible compared to the iPhone and anyone can tell you that.

If it was all about battery life I'd go back to the old Nokia flip phones my parents (try to) use and get a week's worth of usage/standby out of them. That's obviously not my biggest concern.

I'm not even going to comment on the Blackberry comment. That's comparing apples to oranges.

Does your son have the Droid Incredible? Just for comparison sake - my friend has the Incredible which I also think is a really nice phone. However, he said he was able to achieve just about the same battery specs as advertised.

Incredible - Usage Time: Up to 312Minutes/Standby Time: Up to 146Hours
iPhone 4 - Talk time: Up to 7 hours on 3G/Up to 14 hours on 2G/Standby time: Up to 300 hours

My biggest thing is the overall experience. I've been using the iPhone since day one 3 years ago, and have had every one since then. I've seen it come a long way and have thoroughly enjoyed the changes, updates, and revisions. My point I was trying to make is that to get a phone with equivalent battery life, a fantastic touch screen (b/c most Droid touchscreens aren't QUITE as accurate, very good, but not quite), an awesome OS, more Apps than I could possibly imagine, easy updates, good syncing capabilities, etc etc. I can't find all of these features on another phone out there. Every single Droid that comes out everybody dubs the newest "iPhone killer" and then 3 months later it's gone and no one knows anything about it. There isn't a "whole package" that's as good as the iPhone 4 and there surely has not been an "iPhone killer" yet... there's no attacking here that's just my point I'm trying to convey. :eek:

McIPhone

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm averaging 48+ hours. I'm on my third battery conditioning cycle. The first two cycle last over 48 hours each. I'd say I'm doing more than moderate usage so I believe the 36 hours to be conservative.

My son's unit, with much heavier usage, isn't getting anywhere near 36 hours.

Mac

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Lol ohhh k, I think there's a misunderstanding here ... there's no attacking here that's just my point I'm trying to convey. :eek:

No harm, no foul ... and for the record, my son has a Droid X.

FWIW, I have seen a tremendous improvement in battery life since I got my iPhone4... and I love the phone and am staying right here with is... but the battery life is not the reason (just saying)... ;)

MrFadedGlory#IM

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Well its a been a week since I got my iPhone 4 and Im always at 100% around 7am and my phone asses out around 10pm at night. Right now im at 24%....3 hrs of usage and 9 hours standby, i've been browsing a little today and playing a few games etc. no music or video playing, wifi is on, also in 3G. Still not digging this battery, Im used to my BB Bold 9700's battery that can go for days...

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Usuage will not always acurately tell how well your battery is doing. When playing the iPod, it hardly eats battery compared to using apps and browsing. There are two different sides to the story

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro