Backround apps...how much is too much?

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
So I've realized that as open an app and then close, it'll go into that background double-click screen. After a period of time you start to accumulate a rather large number of apps sitting in the background. Is there ever a point where you have too many apps sitting there and it starts interfering with the phone performance/battery? Is it better to close apps that aren't in use? Just curious.

Thanks in advance.

OKCChuck

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm too hesitant to keep too many apps running if I'm not using them. my 3G's battery was so pitiful. I had to buy a mophie power case.

I'm just really looking to keep my battery at top performance.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Glad this helped! I found it very helpful myself because I was confused too. I kept holding my finger on the apps and when the little minus came up I'd close them because I didn't want my resources or my battery being tanked. Seems that isn't the case. This is my 2nd day with my iPhone 4 so I just let it take care of itself today and I didn't see any lag or hit to my battery. I guess time will tell!

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
i just wish there was a compiled list of Apps that have some sort of Background process, and what type of processes overstep others (obviously iPod and Pandora take over for the other when activated).

timmyer

Dec 7, 2009
Visit site
At first I've no idea how to completely quit an app, I though as long as I tap the home button, it's close. Then I figured it out. :p

Thing is when I have 20 apps running in the background, my touch is like super slow. Hope that helps. :)

jcdaniels

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The problem I have with background apps is knowing which ones are still running. Coming from Blackberry, I knew exactly what was open and could close them down when I wasn't using them. Now I'm on an out of date Android phone (Hero , 1.5) and it's hard to tell what stays running and what doesn't.
Can't wait to make the switch and hear how everyone is dealing with their battery life management. (biggest complaint with Android/HTC phones)

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
The problem I have with background apps is knowing which ones are still running.

The ones that are running are doing something. Like if Pandora is playing in the the background it's doing something, if it's paused it's not working in the background at all.

You really don't need to think about it as much as you would on other multitasking phones.

jcdaniels

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The ones that are running are doing something. Like if Pandora is playing in the the background it's doing something, if it's paused it's not working in the background at all.

You really don't need to think about it as much as you would on other multitasking phones.

I figured it would be much easier. Like I said, it's one of the main things I hate about Android. You shouldn't have to download a task killing app!

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that very helpful piece on Apple mutitasking. It answered the questions I had about running Pandora while doing other things (if only Sirius would get on the stick and release an update!!)

Orbitcast reported today they had talked with Sirius XM and of course typical Sirius XM style they wouldn't confirm one way or the other, but basically said stay tuned. So rather that means they are working on a multitasking version or have already submitted one to Apple for approval is any ones guess. They are apparently going to make both the Sirius XM App and XM Skydock App able to multitask, so I am waiting for that since I use both.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox