My iPhone 4 Is Dead

theysayjump

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
It arrived via AT&T yesterday, I activated it and set it up late last night after work, worked fine, updated my apps, downloaded apps, played around with it....everything was fine.

When I went to bed I left it on and when I woke up it was unresponsive. Tried to restore it, didn't work. Plugged it in and tried to restore it and the restore worked. It was charging fine but when I went to unlock it the screen wouldn't respond to my touch. Same if I tried to turn it off, the turn off/cancel buttons would show but they did nothing when I swiped/touched them.

I tried plugging it into the wall and restoring it, which worked, but the screen was still unresponsive. The screen looks fine, shows everything it's meant to but that's it. I'm currently restoring it via iTunes to see if it's a software issue, maybe something crashed or stopped working in the OS, but really? It's been on for 12 hours and is already having problems?

So after spending 15 minutes going through the restore, being unable to connect to the store, restoring again, restoring the backup and finally syncing and installing my apps from iTunes, it's still unresponsive.

This is ridiculous. Not a single thing happened or changed whilst it was left on overnight, so why would it just stop working for no reason? I'm still getting texts and it's still buzzing when I plug it in, I can hear when I get mail but not get past that lock screen.

Not happy.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Defect

I'm pretty sure it's a hardware issue, sounds like it. You have to remember the volume of phones that were churned out to get to Japan, France, UK, US so there is bound to be defective ones no production process is perfect. The only problem is there is obviously no replacement phones for you now but try your nearest Apple Store and see?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
theres IS an acceptable rate of failure in any manufacturing process... the unfortunately reality is a small percentage of us will get defective units, and replacing those units will most likely be near impossible

sirchip

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
when i got my 3g last year, it went bad after like 3 weeks to where apple couldnt power it on themselves...they gave me a new phone and all was well til i lost my phone on the batman roller coaster last week :p

theysayjump

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I understand that there will be lemons and defects with every device, I was just baffled that it worked all night and then 6 hours later it completely stopped. I could understand that if it was dropped or something, but not just sitting on a desk.

Anyway I spent about two hours on the phone with Apple and AT&T and I have to send it back and they'll ship me out a new one next week, so it sucks that I'll have to wait, but I'm glad they have some kept back for this purpose.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox