View Poll Results: iPhone 4: What do you think?

Voters
412. You may not vote on this poll
  • I LOVE THIS THING!!!!!!!!!!!!

330 80.10%
  • ahhh...its alright, no difference to me...

18 4.37%
  • i didnt get one...

32 7.77%
  • I dont like it!

16 3.88%
  • Other: Please let us know what u think

16 3.88%
    Well I'm switching from a BB Storm 2 and I have to say it's so much better than I had thought it would be. Lucky for me I don't seem to have had any of the signal issues people are talking about no matter how I hold the phone. Glad I made this investment!
    06-24-2010 11:22 AM
    Seems like users are satisfied. I think if you're like me coming from the iPhone 3G, the difference are going to be significant. I can't wait!
    06-24-2010 11:32 AM
    Facetime - Its actually a neat feature, i just hope that more and more devices can come up with something compatible because for now, its just i4 to i4
    Just making sure that everyone knows that front-facing cameras and video calls have been around for quite awhile now (not with US carrier locked phones of course). Please don't let Apple convince you that they were the first to come up with the idea. I still own a phone that was released in May 2008 that has a front-facing camera that will work with Skype and other third party apps.

However, I'm still excited about the future upgrade to an iphone 4 from a 3GS
    06-24-2010 12:11 PM
    In the limited time I owned it, I can safely say this is the best phone I've even owned/used. The screen is amazing, the weight feel is just right and the cameras are phenomenal.

My only issue so far is not with the phone but iOS 4, since I upgraded on my 3Gs on Monday and still today on the new phone, I'm continuing to have connection errors with the app store. Other than that, It's Perfect!

PS... I'm currently getting 570-777 kbps upload speeds. I only ever maxed out at 280 on my 3Gs.
    Last edited by j7469; 06-24-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Add noted about speed
    06-24-2010 12:11 PM
    This phone lives up to the hype. Beautiful
    06-24-2010 12:36 PM
    I love this thing I am so glad that I made the switch from my pre I loved it but I really love this phone
    06-24-2010 12:54 PM
    Of course it won't drop a bar.. the problem isn't iOS4, it's the IPHONE4.

The aluminum metal whatever it is around the phone, is actually the phone's antenna and people are having issues when using the phone because - the generally accepted theory - is that the human hand, being conductive, is interrupting the signal's outputted and inputted using the antenna.

Considering the antenna IS the body of the phone this is gonna be a tough one to fix, I find it hard to believe this sneaked right past Apple, they must have had people USING this device prior to release, it seems pretty apparent that they picked it up at some point during testing.
    that doesnt make sense. i tried it on my iPHONE 4 and it did NOT drop! an iPhone 3G with iOS4 has the same issue.
    06-24-2010 03:16 PM
    So far I'm really impressed with this phone. Going from a 3G to iPhone 4 was a big jump in performance.
    06-24-2010 03:38 PM
    So far I love it. I do have the reception issues when holding the left side, but I put it in a case and it seems to be fine now. I'll probably let the storm die down for a bit and see what Apple has to say about it.
    06-24-2010 03:51 PM
    I absolutely love this thing! I switched from a 3gs, I don't necessarily notice that much of a speed difference but the display is indescribable. Steve's quote that this changes everything again is accurate. I had the original iPhone, then the 3gs, and now the 4 -- this one is just as good as the original introduction. Well done, Apple, well done.
    I did notice my signal drop when I held the phone in landscape mode while watching a YouTube video. I haven't used it enough to be annoyed yet but we shall see!
    06-24-2010 07:29 PM
    Apparently you guys must all be wrong because if you blow on it too hard the glass shatters sorry had to vent.

Sorry for lurking your thread but I must say how jealous I am but happy you guys are loving it I hope I will be joining the throngs in a month
    06-24-2010 07:50 PM
    Yes I'm very happy despite the fact that my phone is experiencing both major issues. Hopefully the screen will just correct itself, and Apple should be releasing a software update to address the signal issues.
    06-24-2010 08:55 PM
    First off, I do like my iPhone 4, having upgraded from the 3GS. Can't tell a difference in terms of the speed of the processor. I thought the screen was WAY overrated; don't get me wrong, it is nice but not jaw dropping. I actually held my wife's 3GS to my iPhone 4 and yes there is a difference, but Apple's claims about it being years ahead is seriously a big joke. I also found the new screen to be much harder to see in sunlight than the 3GS.

The camera is really good; I was very impressed with this feature. The overall feel of the device is great if not "weird" due to the design, but I did find that it got much warmer than the 3GS and in my experience, the phone and data reception is far WORSE than the 3GS so far; I am hoping that a software update will fix this and soon. I need the ability to make calls and access email and so far the 3GS is much better for me in this area. Battery life was also talked about at the WWDC, and based on my usage (since it has been roughly the same as the 3GS in my short time with it) is about the same if not a little bit worse.

I do consider myself an iPhone fanatic and do love almost all things Apple (have a MacBook Pro, iPad, iPod, now iPhone 4), but I would say that the hype surrounding this phone was a little too much. If you have an iPhone 3G, definitely upgrade. If you have a 3GS, upgrade to iOS4 and really consider if the added features are worth the upgrade. For me, I just liked the newer style and like new stuff (and I was captured by the hype). Overall I believe the iPhone 4 is a good phone and software updates will improve some features, but I don't think it lives up to the claims by Apple that this phone "changes everything".
    06-24-2010 11:24 PM
    I do consider myself an iPhone fanatic and do love almost all things Apple (have a MacBook Pro, iPad, iPod, now iPhone 4), but I would say that the hype surrounding this phone was a little too much. If you have an iPhone 3G, definitely upgrade. If you have a 3GS, upgrade to iOS4 and really consider if the added features are worth the upgrade. For me, I just liked the newer style and like new stuff (and I was captured by the hype). Overall I believe the iPhone 4 is a good phone and software updates will improve some features, but I don't think it lives up to the claims by Apple that this phone "changes everything".
    So you really bought into all that?

I think it is a great phone, I am like you I don't see a huge speed difference. But I do see a great difference in the display. It is so much easier to read smaller text on. The colors pop and the text crisp and dark in comparison to the 3GS. We agree on the Cam and I especially love the high quality video. The speaker is improved as I notice no distortion when turned up all the way.

Steve Jobs and Apple is a Marketing Hype Machine... We should all know that by now.

I like the iPhone 4, but I think for those with a 3GS and iOS4 if you don't need to front facing cam and not interested in in FaceTime, want higher quality photos and video to use with iMovie, there is really no need to upgrade. I did because my son needed a new phone and he ended up with my 3GS, otherwise I would have held tight.
    06-24-2010 11:30 PM
    Hopefully I can vote in 8 hours...
    It took about 6 more hours than I expected, but
    definitely worth it. I got two and will have one
    up for sale, possibly both when the white comes
    out.

I haven't used it, but I already love it and the
    screen is just out of this world beautiful.
    06-24-2010 11:40 PM
    I can't understand how everyone can be enamored with a smartphone that's not foremost a good phone. Now I have to carry an old flip phone just to be able to get a signal. The signal performance of this device is horrible if you are not in a very strong signal area. My old Motorola gets full bars and makes calls where the ip4 is still searching for a tower and getting warm in the process.

For Apple to suggest to just hold the phone differently is insulting.

This iteration of the iphone reminds me of iphone2g, just a cute little toy that needed lot's of work.

A company that heretofore produced high quality and great engineered products failed miserably on this one.
    06-25-2010 12:10 AM
    Screen is STUNNING!

Not thrilled with the camera. Still requires good lighting to be useful.

Also, the antenna issue is very real. No big deal when reception is good, but dripped calls galore in bad spots.
    06-25-2010 12:13 AM
    I can't understand how everyone can be enamored with a smartphone that's not foremost a good phone. Now I have to carry an old flip phone just to be able to get a signal. The signal performance of this device is horrible if you are not in a very strong signal area. My old Motorola gets full bars and makes calls where the ip4 is still searching for a tower and getting warm in the process.
    So basically what you are saying is you are experiencing the reception issue that so many are! Gotcha

It does make one wonder how many will end up bringing these phones back for this issue.
    06-25-2010 12:15 AM
    Here are some initial impressions (had the phone since about 3:00 PM EST):

1. The whole buying process was very smooth. Picked it up at my local AT&T store as soon as it came off the truck and it was activated and I was out the door in less than 15 minutes. I know not everyone had this experience, but I did and feel pretty fortunate. The longest part of the process was syncing it and loading all my apps and music (about 30 minutes).
    2. Battery life is MUCH improved over my 3GS. That makes me happy.
    3. Not sure yet how I feel about the more squarish design. It feels a little bulkier in my hand than my 3GS, but this may just take some getting used to. But it's noticeably thinner than my 3GS and that's always nice.
    4. Modestly speedier than my 3GS. I would not say that the speed difference is hugely significant, but it's noticeable.
    5. Screen resolution is AWESOME. It was the first thing I noticed when they handed the phone to me. Images are sharper than anything I have ever seen on a smart phone.
    6. The cameras (video and still) are much improved. I love the flash and it was really helpful when filming some video last night in low light. Having the HD camera means that I don't have to carry around my other camera anymore (unless I need more storage).

While I really love my 4, I think the biggest improvement (for 3GS owners at least) was the update to the iOS 4.0. This new operating system is a huge improvement for later-model iphone users and I was really happy with it on my 3GS. While I love the iPhone 4, I would say that if you're not a heavy camera/video user and don't really need the extra speed and battery life, the new iOS will make your phone almost like new. That said, I don't think anyone will be disappointed with the 4 model. Apple is rarely the first to do something, but they are always the first to do it the best.
    06-25-2010 08:49 AM
    Is it kinda weird what's popular around here? I guess people are more worried about bumpers.

Went to Barnes & Noble last night and i'm choosing 3G over their wifi. 3.5mbps 3G speed? My Sprint Pre would get eek out 800kbps on a good day. One thread on here about this has like 6 posts.

I'm not really the fanboy as you see in the iPad forums. But the iphone 4 is just on another level from the rest. Even the 3GS.

Amazing, gorgeous screen. Easy Facetime. Improved camera. HD video. Significantly speedier apps and task switching due to processor/ram bump. Faster browsing and 3G. Better battery life.

Even the syncs with itunes are a fraction of the 3GS.

So i'm definitely happy with the purchase. Not having reception issues but not exactly researching the proper way to duplicate drop calls :P Ignorance is bliss. Heck, i had to shove paper into the back of Palms to get them to work right. I think i can handle a case (or bumper) if it comes to it.
    06-25-2010 09:20 AM
    I voted no, overall I am disappointed and I feel like I paid Apple $370(after tax) and they are giving me the finger.
    06-25-2010 10:36 AM
    Drops calls whenever I pick it up. :-(
    06-25-2010 10:52 AM
    I voted no, overall I am disappointed and I feel like I paid Apple $370(after tax) and they are giving me the finger.
    That's some killer tax your paying :P
    06-25-2010 10:52 AM
    That's some killer tax your paying :P
    Yea, one of the perks of CA.
    06-25-2010 10:55 AM
    I'd be happy if I had made a purchase.
    06-25-2010 11:12 AM
250 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD