iPhone 4's antenna dilemma

mpaquette

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't have an iPhone yet, so I can't test it. Is Apple usually pretty good about addressing stuff like this? Seems like to big of a potential issue to slip though testing unnoticed.

mo98

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
I had a Nokia manual (for the E63) instruct me to avoid covering the bottom of the phone as it would affect the antenna.

I doubt Apple would communicate something like this because it would reveal a possible imperfection in their otherwise perfect product. I think they know and that's why they are marketing the bumpers.

lungho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I certainly hope it's a software issue. I've tested my phone and I have the same issue as well. Apple squeezed an extra $30 out of me for a bumper because of this.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I won't have mine until tomorrow, but I'm optimistic that the problem isn't wide spread, and if it is, apple will take care of it.

here F'in here you got it!!! If there is a problem and it is as widespread Apple will fix it they have fixed problems of lesser importance by swapping out the phone.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
No problem

I went to the apple store because I can't get my iPhone 4 yet and gripped it with my hands over the 3G band and the signal did nothing it didn't dropped and I tried this on all the phones on display. If I had to guess I think that it is possible that when you hold some iPhone 4's that way then they might lose there signal but I wouldn't worry that much about it specially if you have a case around the band like the bumper which is said to help in this problem. ;););)

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I went to the apple store because I can't get my iPhone 4 yet and gripped it with my hands over the 3G band and the signal did nothing it didn't dropped and I tried this on all the phones on display. If I had to guess I think that it is possible that when you hold some iPhone 4's that way then they might lose there signal but I wouldn't worry that much about it specially if you have a case around the band like the bumper which is said to help in this problem. ;););)

Not a good test, they have signal repeaters right there in the store. As I've said before if you are pretty close to towers where you have a rock solid signal you may not see this happen. However, if you did the same test down the road a ways you could replicate it easy. This issue is widespread, we can try to deny that all we want. It is real and it is legit!

I can verify that if you put a case on it that the reception isn't impacted at all and in fact does very well otherwise. However, if that is the case and you are absolutely required to have the bumpers or a case, then every iPhone should have include a bumper in the package.

There are many like me that had already ordered the bumpers and many others that were going to use a case anyway. So for me the impact is minimal, but there are others that don't like cases or bumpers. They are pretty much screwed unless they live and work under a tower!

Have any of you seen the email response from Steve Jobs on Engadget on this subject? If the email is legit, he says just don't hold the phone like that. WTF? That is his solution?

Last edited:

diaz2010

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
I can replicate the issue but not 100% of the time. First time I tried I showed my gf and was able to replicate it 4 or 5x in a row. After that I've been unable to dup it. No matter how I hold it now my signal is fine. Humm.

I did the same thing with mine...:confused:

mo98

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
It looks like the gaps in the metal band around the phone need to be avoided while holding the phone. You have to love Apple's response.

"You're just holding the phone wrong. All mobile phones have this problem. If you can't relearn how to hold your phone, then just get a case or bumper."

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
"You're just holding the phone wrong. All mobile phones have this problem. If you can't relearn how to hold your phone, then just get a case or bumper."

You do realize there has been like 3 or 4 various supposed responses from Apple on various blogs now. Is this one legit? Does anyone REALLY know?

Steve Jobs is a cocky one though!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods