I can replicate the issue but not 100% of the time. First time I tried I showed my gf and was able to replicate it 4 or 5x in a row. After that I've been unable to dup it. No matter how I hold it now my signal is fine. Humm.
    06-24-2010 09:00 AM
    This is now on the iPhone 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4 that I've seen reported. Why would the iPhone 3G and 3GS suddenly start having hardware failures because a new iOS was installed? I am just not ready to buy the hardware thing yet.
    I completely agree, this seems to be a problem with iOS4, not the iPhone 4. Hopefully they'll push out an update here pretty quickly.
    06-24-2010 09:40 AM
    Hopefully it's the iOS4 and not the phone.....judging by the fact that people with 3Gs are reporting this problem, makes me think software.

Keeping my fingers crossed when I get my phone today.
    06-24-2010 09:59 AM
    I must admit to wondering about the RF reception on the iPhone 4 when Steve Jobbs described the external antennas. To my knowledge, this is the only 'phone with such an arrangement.

Anyone with the most basic knowledge of electronics must know that the efficiency of an aerial (antenna) is effected when it's capacitance is increased when in electrical contact with another conductor, in this case, the users hand. Just listen to what happens when touching the aerial of a radio.

In areas if relatively high signal strength, the effect would not be so noticeable which could explain why some people are experiencing problems and others are not.

As far as solutions are concerned, the use of a bumper, which would act as an insulator between the hand and the iPhone, could be the answer. However, this may not be popular with some people.
    06-24-2010 10:25 AM
    I must admit to wondering about the RF reception on the iPhone 4 when Steve Jobbs described the external antennas. To my knowledge, this is the only 'phone with such an arrangement.

Anyone with the most basic knowledge of electronics must know that the efficiency of an aerial (antenna) is effected when it's capacitance is increased when in electrical contact with another conductor, in this case, the users hand. Just listen to what happens when touching the aerial of a radio.

In areas if relatively high signal strength, the effect would not be so noticeable which could explain why some people are experiencing problems and others are not.

As far as solutions are concerned, the use of a bumper, which would act as an insulator between the hand and the iPhone, could be the answer. However, this may not be popular with some people.

So does that explain why when I touch an antenna on an older TV, it gets better reception instead of worse?
    06-24-2010 10:26 AM
    So does that explain why when I touch an antenna on an older TV, it gets better reception instead of worse?
    Yes, with TV's and radios, their tuners are set to fairly wide bandwidths, mobile 'phones are set to higher tolerances.
    06-24-2010 10:32 AM
    It's impossible that a PHYSICAL issue with the phone is a software issue.

I watched the video and there's too many sketchy things about it for me to believe that.

Do you truly believe it's possible for humans to PROGRAM a cell phone to lose reception when someone holds the edges? Just think about what you are insinuating.
    Or possibly the software is reading the change in signal wrong. (Duh.)

I can replicate the loss of "signal" but it does not equate to a loss of reception. I've tested it with phone calls and with testing the bandwidth dozens of times. I never lose quality or drop a phone call, and quite often I have better bandwidth when the phone is showing that I have no reception.

I was up in arms about the problem until I realized it's not really a problem (at least on my phone).
    06-24-2010 10:56 AM
    I was at Best Buy earlier today and I was talking to a guy with a 3GS and an iPhone 4. I was showing them the drop in signal on my iPhone 4. The guy with the 3GS took his out and tried it and the signal dropped on his as well. The other guy who had a iPhone 4 was able to replicate as well.

I purchased a case and now it's not a problem. Still needs to be address, but at least it doesn't bother me.
    06-24-2010 12:52 PM
    I dont have this issue at all. I sat with a friend last night for 15min testing it with me covering every antenna, didnt lose signal at all for some reason, my iP4 has no issues....whew!
    06-24-2010 01:23 PM

I am able to replicate the signal drop, just not all of the time. So, I have to agree that the problem is a function of where you are at the time and what the signal strength is.

I am still not sure if the signal loss is real though (or perhaps just some weird software issue).
    06-24-2010 01:48 PM
    I don't have an iPhone yet, so I can't test it. Is Apple usually pretty good about addressing stuff like this? Seems like to big of a potential issue to slip though testing unnoticed.
    06-24-2010 01:52 PM
    I had a Nokia manual (for the E63) instruct me to avoid covering the bottom of the phone as it would affect the antenna.

I doubt Apple would communicate something like this because it would reveal a possible imperfection in their otherwise perfect product. I think they know and that's why they are marketing the bumpers.
    06-24-2010 01:59 PM
    this is just too weird cause my i4 nor my 3G|s| has this issue...
    06-24-2010 04:29 PM
    this is just too weird cause my i4 nor my 3G|s| has this issue...
    That is because you have special phones! LOL
    06-24-2010 04:40 PM
    its a software issue.
    06-24-2010 07:39 PM
    I certainly hope it's a software issue. I've tested my phone and I have the same issue as well. Apple squeezed an extra $30 out of me for a bumper because of this.
    06-24-2010 07:47 PM
    I won't have mine until tomorrow, but I'm optimistic that the problem isn't wide spread, and if it is, apple will take care of it.
    here F'in here you got it!!! If there is a problem and it is as widespread Apple will fix it they have fixed problems of lesser importance by swapping out the phone.
    06-24-2010 07:53 PM
    I went to the apple store because I can't get my iPhone 4 yet and gripped it with my hands over the 3G band and the signal did nothing it didn't dropped and I tried this on all the phones on display. If I had to guess I think that it is possible that when you hold some iPhone 4's that way then they might lose there signal but I wouldn't worry that much about it specially if you have a case around the band like the bumper which is said to help in this problem.
    06-24-2010 10:03 PM
    I went to the apple store because I can't get my iPhone 4 yet and gripped it with my hands over the 3G band and the signal did nothing it didn't dropped and I tried this on all the phones on display. If I had to guess I think that it is possible that when you hold some iPhone 4's that way then they might lose there signal but I wouldn't worry that much about it specially if you have a case around the band like the bumper which is said to help in this problem.
    Not a good test, they have signal repeaters right there in the store. As I've said before if you are pretty close to towers where you have a rock solid signal you may not see this happen. However, if you did the same test down the road a ways you could replicate it easy. This issue is widespread, we can try to deny that all we want. It is real and it is legit!

I can verify that if you put a case on it that the reception isn't impacted at all and in fact does very well otherwise. However, if that is the case and you are absolutely required to have the bumpers or a case, then every iPhone should have include a bumper in the package.

There are many like me that had already ordered the bumpers and many others that were going to use a case anyway. So for me the impact is minimal, but there are others that don't like cases or bumpers. They are pretty much screwed unless they live and work under a tower!

Have any of you seen the email response from Steve Jobs on Engadget on this subject? If the email is legit, he says just don't hold the phone like that. WTF? That is his solution?
    Last edited by OTACORB; 06-24-2010 at 10:10 PM.
    06-24-2010 10:08 PM
    I can replicate the issue but not 100% of the time. First time I tried I showed my gf and was able to replicate it 4 or 5x in a row. After that I've been unable to dup it. No matter how I hold it now my signal is fine. Humm.
    I did the same thing with mine...
    06-24-2010 11:55 PM
    It looks like the gaps in the metal band around the phone need to be avoided while holding the phone. You have to love Apple's response.

"You're just holding the phone wrong. All mobile phones have this problem. If you can't relearn how to hold your phone, then just get a case or bumper."
    06-25-2010 12:34 AM
    "You're just holding the phone wrong. All mobile phones have this problem. If you can't relearn how to hold your phone, then just get a case or bumper."
    You do realize there has been like 3 or 4 various supposed responses from Apple on various blogs now. Is this one legit? Does anyone REALLY know?

Steve Jobs is a cocky one though!
    06-25-2010 12:39 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD