iPhone 4's antenna dilemma

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I notice it happen periodically. I can be holding the band and watch the signal drop down, I can then do nothing and watch it climb back up. I don't think it has to do with the way it's being held.

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
my real world experience so far

no case + holding it = bad signal
no case + have it plugged into an FM transmitter + not holding it = 5 bars great signal
case + holding it = 5 bars great signal

I am on the Edge network

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Well that is interesting an issue with iOS4 itself! So, this is sounding more like a software thing given a few of these reports on the 3G and 3GS doing exactly the same thing since upgrading. I guess I never noticed on my 3GS for the 3 days I used it, because I had a case on it, so my hands were not coming into contact with the phone itself.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3GS and haven't really noticed signal bar loss. I'll be upgrading tomorrow I'll keep an out for it. See what happens.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Playing with it some more, when I hold it in one hand with the bottom metal band resting on my palm cell service goes to **** as does wifi. I haven't been able to dup the cell service issue when holding it in landscape.

The moment I take my palm off the bottom band the cell service starts to come back.

Hopefully this is an os issue that can be addressed with an update.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a 3GS and haven't really noticed signal bar loss. I'll be upgrading tomorrow I'll keep an out for it. See what happens.

Well if you are still on 3.13 you likely won't see this, since it appears to be happening with those that have iOS4 installed. It will be interested to hear back from you once you upgrade. If you have a case on it, take it off and just hold it in your hand and see if the signal drops off. There are several YouTube videos were folks are showing this to be the case.

iVenom

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad it doesn't affect everyone. Honestly I think if it was really wide spread there would be more people on here talking about it. Sucks it happened to you though. How is it doing besides the reception issue?

phones not out yet just wait til its in everyones hands if its a big problem people will talk about it 11 hours til i have mine

JohnH59

Dec 19, 2004
Visit site
I've sat here and tried it 5 times and all five times the signal has dropped.

I guess we may have found out the real reason the bumpers were designed???

Edit: my 3GS was always in a case. So, I guess I never experienced the problem. After reading some other posts and watching the YouTube video, it definitely seems related to iOS4.

Last edited:

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
giz sucks balls lol :)

this issue seems like its only happened to SOME iPhone 4's... mines and my friends are good

We are going to find out tomorrow if it is just some, I have a feeling there is going to be a **** load of folks complaining about this before it is over. It seems like those that don't have this issue are the exception rather than the rule. We got 5 iPhone 4's at the office today, some ordered through AT&T, some through Apple, so it was different batches.. Everyone one of us can replicate this issue. That isn't scientific, but certainly is a good indicator this is likely pretty widespread in my opinion. Maybe not everyone, but quite a few are already reporting being impacted. Tomorrow we'll see!

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
my friends and i have no signal issues... this seems like some ppl are affected, not all

How close are you and your friend to a tower. When I was real close to a tower I couldn't replicate this, but after I got a ways away, I could. I truly hope you are right, but if this is a software issue it doesn't make sense that it would only be impacting some phones. Maybe that is true, but my experience with 5 iPhones 4's from different batches, not to mention 3 other friends having gotten them today and we can all replicate it. I don't know!

Chelle

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
It is definitely the software because I tried holding phone with and without the case and wouldn't you know, I have the same issue. I'm glad to see it's just the software rather than the phone. This is with my updated 3GS.