Not sure if this is the right place.... I recently had to wipe my hard drive due to a virus, well I lost all my itunes info. When I try to sync now it tells me I will lose all my music/ apps and what not. Is there any software out there that I can just backup my phone, and possible transfer apps and what not to iphone 4? Or at least just be able to back up my iphone without itunes? Any help is appreciated!
    06-23-2010 08:44 AM
    I believe a program called iPhonebrowser can help.
    06-23-2010 08:53 AM
    it is usually after a data loss like this that people begin to rethink their backup strategy.

I would suggest buying either an external USB, FireWire or E-SATA (depending on the ports you have on your computer) hard drive and start using that as your iTunes library. Hell, even a portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive from Wal-Mart works well.

Even better is to have two external drives, one as your "live" library, and the other as your backup that you copy to every month or so, depending on how frequently you add new stuff to your library.

I am planning to take my iTunes library and store it in a Bank Safety Deposit Box along with other important information that I need a secure offsite copy of.
    06-23-2010 08:59 AM
    All my music and what not is backed up, I have multiple hard drives and only wiped the hard drive containing the windows install. However on that drive itunes stores the data, or lookup for itunes to know what you already have and thats the part I lost. I have lost apps in the past becuase of this and should have figured that out by now but didnt lol.
    06-23-2010 09:18 AM
    okay, you must not be allowing iTunes to organize the data on its own in the "iTunes Library" folder (or "iTunes Music", whatever it calls it).

I specifically have iTunes deal with all of that, and I have iTunes keep that folder on a separate drive, that way all of the music AND the data is on a separate drive, as opposed to on the install disc.

I also did this with Steam when I was using BootCamp and Windows 7. I would have Steam install on an external drive. This way if I ever had to remove BootCamp, switch back to XP, or just get a gaming PC, I could have Steam on the external ready to be moved over.
    06-23-2010 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD