How long does the apps stay open in the tray?

MapleSyrup

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Multitasking question here.
On the OS4, when you load an app and it stay open in the "tray" or when you double click "home" how long does it take for the apps to close by itself?
I read on the Apple site that you don't need to close them, that they will turn off by themself. Just curious how long they stay open.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Most of the apps down there aren't running in the background.

But to answer your question. They will run forever, until you run out of batteries or the OS needs the memory. I don't believe there is a timer of any sort.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
This is why is Apple should have set this up more like Backgrounder on a Jailbroken phone. You can select which apps stay active and which ones don't. I don't need a lot of these apps staying active, but must manually close them. I don't care what Apple says at some point if you don't start closing them, you will notice some performance hits. Closing them by holding your finger on one of them till it start jiggling then hit the x? WOW! :rolleyes:

This would have been very easy for them to implement!

flatlined#IM

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Are the apps that are in the tray after you close them still running in the background and using battery?

If I don't want an App to be running in the background should I got to the tray and kill it down there too?

Maybe this is the reason some people's battery life is worse in iOS 4.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
If the app doesn't support 4.0 then its not running in the background. say for instance the facebook app, even though its in the "tray" it isn't running in the background because it doesn't support 4.0

marketsqhero

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
This is why is Apple should have set this up more like Backgrounder on a Jailbroken phone. You can select which apps stay active and which ones don't. I don't need a lot of these apps staying active, but must manually close them. I don't care what Apple says at some point if you don't start closing them, you will notice some performance hits. Closing them by holding your finger on one of them till it start jiggling then hit the x? WOW! :rolleyes:

This would have been very easy for them to implement!

THEY AREN'T ACTIVE!!!

Only the ones that are using one of the 7 background APIs, and only then if they're actually using an API!

Apples implementation is FAR better than backgrounder if you actually understand what it's doing, it's not rocket science. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Naughty_Ottsel

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
The tray is named the Quick Change Tray or something. Whatever app you run will go in there. Any apps in there will stay in there until memory is needed or you remove them manually. I have turned off my phone and then back on again and there still there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro