Which should I install? They arent exactly the same, even though the build number is the same as iOS4 doesnt have Game Center included. Any thoughts?
    06-21-2010 04:03 PM
    I have the GM seed, and I can't even upgrade to the Public release.. so.. Go with public I would say.
    06-21-2010 04:08 PM
    I have the GM seed, if I can't just restore it I'll DFU it. I have a few gigs of "other" mem I need to dump anyways
    06-21-2010 04:09 PM
    I have the GM seed, and I can't even upgrade to the Public release.. so.. Go with public I would say.
    Just use restore, and you can get the public one. Its easy.
    06-21-2010 04:10 PM
    Hello,

But why should I bother? The 4.0 GM and today's release have the same build. I don't even know what you are talking about relating to the Game Center. I have it too in my release. So what is the difference? Why should I upgrade? If we can call this an upgrade...
    06-21-2010 04:16 PM
    I have issues with my GM seed that there is no way would make it to public. I'll be updating soon
    06-21-2010 04:18 PM
    Hello,

But why should I bother? The 4.0 GM and today's release have the same build. I don't even know what you are talking about relating to the Game Center. I have it too in my release. So what is the difference? Why should I upgrade? If we can call this an upgrade...
    Take a deep breath... The public release does not have game center. Just because the build number is the same doesnt mean its identical...
    06-21-2010 04:18 PM
    Just use restore, and you can get the public one. Its easy.
    I would rather not have to restore my phone.
    06-21-2010 04:23 PM
    Why not? you dont lose anything. Its basically the same process.
    06-21-2010 04:25 PM
    Take a deep breath... The public release does not have game center. Just because the build number is the same doesnt mean its identical...
    Hence the MD5 hash codes not matching.
    Ok. But the GM release, the one I run has that Game Center, although I don't give a flying f^*k about games.
    Would you know of any other significant difference by any chance?

Thanks
    Why not? you dont lose anything. Its basically the same process.
    Ya, I would lose all my folders, game saves, I would have to re-sync stuff over... wait.. If I restored it to factory, then restored it to a backup.. would that work?
    06-21-2010 04:28 PM
    Ok. But the GM release, the one I run has that Game Center, although I don't give a flying f^*k about games.
    Would you know of any other significant difference by any chance?

Thanks
    I plan to restore my phone tonight and use the public build to see what differences there are compared to the WWDC released build.
    06-21-2010 04:29 PM
    That's how I did mine. It works the same. When you click restore, It will ask are you sure, say yes (or something like that) and once restored (or iOS4 is installed), it will restart and ask if you want to restore from a backup. I chose the backup I just did prior to updating (restoring) and it all worked like a charm. I know that many say not to restore from a back after a major update release, but I've never had a problem with iPhone OS releases doing it that way.
    06-21-2010 04:30 PM
    Ya, I would lose all my folders, game saves, I would have to re-sync stuff over... wait.. If I restored it to factory, then restored it to a backup.. would that work?
    No you dont. Backup your iPhone. Restore to factory (when you do this, it downloads and installs iOS4) and then it will let you restore your backup. Nothing is lost. I just did it myself.
    06-21-2010 04:31 PM
    No you dont. Backup your iPhone. Restore to factory (when you do this, it downloads and installs iOS4) and then it will let you restore your backup. Nothing is lost. I just did it myself.
    I did something like that. I downloaded the OS, unplugged my phone as it was downloading, then hit option upgrade and upgraded to the public release.. might restore though.. would feel better if I did.
    06-21-2010 04:52 PM
    I was just gonna keep the gm candidate but i guess I might as well just upgrade to the final release, not like you can do anything with game center, I had been updating my status messages every couple of weeks, didn't make one friend.
    06-21-2010 06:23 PM
    Just in case, I wanted get on the official in case their were any changes. Hiy retore and it prompted me for the update
    06-21-2010 06:41 PM
    I get my iPhone 4 on Thursday so I'm tempted to leave this GM on my 3GS - I presume when I get home with my iPhone 4 I can just tell it to restore from the latest GM backup onto my new iPhone?
    06-21-2010 06:44 PM
    I plan to restore my phone tonight and use the public build to see what differences there are compared to the WWDC released build.
    Great. Just do that. And then share your experience with us.
    I read somewhere else that the GM and the public release are so identical that developers (the ones that got GM beforehand) don't have to bother and upgrade.
    06-22-2010 02:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD